GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just traded my 13 Volt with FCA on a new 17 (built in June 16) with both convenience packages as well as the new ACC with IBA and I'm not sure I understand how the FCA/FAB/IBA piece of the car operates. Holy cow that's a lot of acronyms.

In my 13 I could turn this feature ON/OFF with a steering wheel button and set the alert distance. It triggered frequently and saved my bacon many times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_T-eFT_EAQ

But I have yet to get my 17 to Alert let alone Auto Brake. I have read the manual and can't seem to find the answer to these questions.

What do I have to do to "activate" FCA/FAB/IBA and how do I know it's "turned on" and ready to function? I get the GREEN/YELLOW car ICON's that light up but am I to assume that means the system is fully operational?

UPDATE: I think I found my answer on page 210 in the Owner Manual:
The system works when driving in a
forward gear between 8 km/h
(5 mph) and 60 km/h (37 mph).
It can detect vehicles up to
approximately 60 m (197 ft).

I'm guessing the few times I have expected it do engage I was traveling TOO fast. Rats I was hoping the system would protect me at freeway speeds. I guess that's in the next Gen.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
ACC detects cars further out than that and will regulate the speed relative to the car being followed. Up to around 80mph (Don't have a source link.). ACC or AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) will NOT operate against a stationary car/object above ~35mph. However, with ACC active, there is an imminent collision warning if the closing speed is too great.

It is very complicated because ACC and AEB are two separate things. Sometimes they operate as if doing the other's job. My limited understanding is that cars equipped with BOTH ACC and FCA will detect cars moving in the same direction much further out than 197ft. More like 350ft. And it is somehow dependent on the gap setting.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The center button (I think) on the left side of the steering wheel controls the alert distance. As you press the button it cycles between the three different sensitivity settings as shown on the DIC. I normally keep mine in the middle setting.

There is also a fun display that you can put up on the DIC that shows 'following distance'. Press the '<' button on the right side of the steering wheel, press '^' as needed to scroll to the Info pages, then press the 'check' button in the middle. Then use '^' to scroll to the FDI display.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is also a fun display that you can put up on the DIC that shows 'following distance'. Press the '<' button on the right side of the steering wheel, press '^' as needed to scroll to the Info pages, then press the 'check' button in the middle. Then use '^' to scroll to the FDI display.
i think the "following distance" values are only active when the ACC is off. When ACC is on, it shows the gap distance setting instead using a graphic redish brown bars (near, medium, far). The same bars that display on the Driver Info Console when pressing the center button in the left button cluster on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
But I have yet to get my 17 to Alert let alone Auto Brake.
I have yet to have the Forward Collision Alert alert me but that might be due to me driving with ACC on most of the time??

The other day I was in a situation where I thought it might alert but didn't. At 35 mpg with ACC off, the car in front of me slowed down to turn right into a parking lot. I took my foot off the go pedal and the car slowed down and the gap closed to about 20 feet before the car ahead had left the roadway. The alert didn't go off and I didn't need to brake and apparently the FCA/FAB system didn't think so either.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found this GM video on YouTube for a Cadillac with ACC
https://youtu.be/J1f3xogIHvo

Helps explain it better than the written word in the manual.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Volt may be slightly different, but, ELR alerts on closing speed no matter if ACC is active or not. She also hits the brakes if she gets too excited.

If a vehicle is slightly in my lane (but enough room to pass) ELR will brake/slow anyway. If I cut into the other lane and get too close to the car I am following (even though my vector will entirely miss the other vehicle), ELR will brake/slow with ACC active or not. And the red flashy lights plus the seat vibrator will alert. Either action on the part of the car can be easily over-ridden by punching the go-pedal.

Does Volt have a setting like ELR to turn it off? When I got the car, FCA was OFF.

When I first got the ELR, ACC/FCA scared the crap outta me. I call it 'chicken mode' since I chicken out and take control. After using the system for over a year-and-a-half, I am used to how it operates. I too never got the flashy lights or seat alert when I first got the car because I drive conservatively. (Plenty of following distance etc.) Now that I am more familiar with the system, I let it do the braking (I still chicken in certain circumstances!). Yes, I see way more FCA alerts now.

ELR modes:
Tour
Sport
Mountain
Hold
CHICKEN! - When ELR lets the following gap get too small and brakes hard with flashy lights going off. Or, when a car enters or leaves the lane in front of her and she doesn't acquire the new lead car fast enough. Might call it 'PUCKER' as an alternative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts