GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gen 3 will likely be all electric - no gas engine back up. An anticipated advance in battery technology by then should give it at least the same range as the Bolt has now which is about 238 miles. It will compliment the Bolt since it will be a somewhat larger car. It will be a complete new design over the Gen 2, of course. Weight will be reduced slightly - maybe a couple hundred pounds. There will be no gas engine to haul around but there will be additional battery weight to factor in.

The current Volt power train in some variation will live on in the larger GM vehicles. It could live on for some time if more advanced battery technology is slow to develop and gas remains relatively cheap.

The Gen 2 power train has some advantages with two types "fuel" to pick from in a pitch. If that is your preference, plan on getting one and keep in my mind my final prediction - the Gen 2 may be replaced sooner then expected.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Or it may simply be an option for all battery or with the engine and a higher mileage per charge like 75 would be nice. Until a web of charges that are cost competitive are in place to gas as well as the higher rate charge on all vehicles, it may be too soon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hope not twice a year I drive from Chicago to Florida in two days can't do that with charging. & Several times a year Chicago to St. Louis and back in a day . cant do that yet maybe some day.
Only the Volt works for me!
Tom

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Or we may see a more efficient ice drivetrain such as a fuel cell that runs on e85 or cng

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My prediction:

Gen 3 Volt will have about the same EV range. Slightly more efficient gas range extender. Smaller more energy dense battery which leads to better packaging. And it will cost about $5K-$7K less (starting at around $25 to $28K USD).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Gen 3 will likely be all electric - no gas engine back up. An anticipated advance in battery technology by then should give it at least the same range as the Bolt has now which is about 238 miles. It will compliment the Bolt since it will be a somewhat larger car. It will be a complete new design over the Gen 2, of course. Weight will be reduced slightly - maybe a couple hundred pounds. There will be no gas engine to haul around but there will be additional battery weight to factor in.
And it will be called a Bolt and ship in 2017.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Volt concept is a compact EV with a range extender. If it's all electric, or larger size, it won't be a Volt. Different name.

I can see the Voltec propulsion unit extended to many other vehicles, but it will be mainstreamed, GM doesn't need to bore the masses with details of drivetrain technology. It will just do it's job, quietly and efficiently.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If there is a gen 3, I tend to agree with Neromanceres. The cost needs to come down for it to increase sales.

However, personally, I would definitely like to see something like the Bolt drivetrain on a 2 door ELR replacement. That could be a $40K car. Although I'd probably suggest going for the $50K segment for better performance and luxury.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My guess is that it will have marginally improved MPG and AER numbers but have more interior room and luggage space to counter those advantages had by the Toyota Prius Prime.

·
Registered
521 Posts
In my best John Cleese parrot sketch voice: No Range Extender? Not exactly a Volt then is it?

A BEV product should be a different model, or just a larger Bolt. Bolt Extreme? Bolt Max? The "Boat"?
(Yup, still bitter about the name :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Or we may see a more efficient ice drivetrain such as a fuel cell that runs on e85 or cng
Your post got me thinking - now that I'm used to my Gen2 and even wtih my excessive miles per day for work (70+) I would actually entertain the thought of a CNG powered volt only because I only have to visit the gas station once every 4 to 6 weeks.

CNG would be awesome beacuse its cheap as dirt, and never goes bad, would eliminate any fuel maintence cycle stuff the volt does after a while.

E85? I'd still have to say nope... my expereince with it traveling up and down the central part of the US was terrible. Also my background in oil and gas give me a negative view of it. Sure its cheaper, but its less energy dense and the entire subsidy system for its use is just retarded I believe. Turning food into fuel we just don't need? Pass It seemed like a great idea 9 or 10 years ago when we were staring down the barrel of 5 and 6 dollar a gallon gasoline

·
Registered
433 Posts
I predict it will also omit the option for a sunroof.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
My prediction:

Gen 3 Volt will have about the same EV range. Slightly more efficient gas range extender. Smaller more energy dense battery which leads to better packaging. And it will cost about $5K-$7K less (starting at around $25 to $28K USD).
100% agree. The trademark of the Volt has always been the range extender. Don't expect that to change. There will undoubtedly be new pure EVs coming to market, that may use the same chassis and design as the Volt. For many of use, myself included, I don't want a pure EV, and if they drop the RE from the Volt, I wouldn't get another. PHEV or EREV is basically a requirement for me.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think the Volt will keep the range extender. That is what makes it a Volt. The main area of development that GM needs to focus on, and probably is focusing on, is price point. When the subsidies expire and there are more competitive electrified vehicles on the market, they will want a lower price point. And then let a Voltec or EV Malibu type package take over in the near-luxury slot.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I hope not twice a year I drive from Chicago to Florida in two days can't do that with charging. & Several times a year Chicago to St. Louis and back in a day . cant do that yet maybe some day.
Only the Volt works for me!
Tom
Take a bus, train, or plane. Let someone else drive for you.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If there is a gen 3, I tend to agree with Neromanceres. The cost needs to come down for it to increase sales.

However, personally, I would definitely like to see something like the Bolt drivetrain on a 2 door ELR replacement. That could be a $40K car. Although I'd probably suggest going for the $50K segment for better performance and luxury.
For it to increase sales, ALL dealers should be required to have them in stock and service them. My local dealer, 10 miles away, doesn't even sell them and has never had one on the lot. My next closet dealer, 30 miles away, sold the 2011-2015, but have decided NOT to sell or service (anything funky beyond the basics) the 2016s...and 2017s...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree that the range extender is an integral part of the Volt. Without it, it would be something else. I expect they will use a different fuel for the range extender.

I just hope I don't like it too much better than the gen 2 or I'll have to upgrade again.

·
2,358 Posts
Maybe the next gen gets 80+ miles and the three-cylinder turbo with active noise cancellation. I think as long as it's built the Volt should demonstrate the capabilities of the extended-range electric concept.

I'd like to see a proper rear bench, power seats, defeatable ERDTT, more soft-touch materials, and a lower price.

I hope the Pacifica Hybrid is a smashing success and prompts GM to finally put Voltec in CUVs, SUVs and pickups.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Let's see 6 years of Gen 2 gets to 2022 - tax credits are gone, HOV access gone, I'd guess that's the end of the line for the EREV in sedan form.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts