3,468 Posts
Nice!
100 Pound Tongue Weight
1000 Pound Towing

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Torklift Too!!!

I have attached the photo from the email I received from Torklift showing that they now have their 'stealth' eco hitch available for the gen 2 Volt. We have been happy with the eco hitches we had on both our 2012 Volts.

Unfortunately, they don't quite have their act together yet on actually selling it. I could not find a link on their website and my email communications are missing a conclusion where the guy figures out that 'gen 2' applies to 16/17 Volts. You can email them at [email protected]

Here is the bulleted list of selling points for their eco hitch from the email:

Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, 2,000 pounds towing weight

• Completely concealed design

• 100 percent bolt-on installation - no drilling required

• Engineered to meet stringent national SAE J684 towing safety standards

• Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, 2,000 pounds towing weight

• Available in 1 1/4-inch and 2-inch receivers

• Designed to complement the aerodynamic contours and underbody airflow of vehicle

• Manufactured with high impact powder coat

• Material can include a qualified combination of aerospace grade aluminum, stainless steel or steel*

• Eco-friendly, made with recycled materials

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2" would be preferred, but then I'd probably be tempted to tow my traider to Lowe's on occasion. For a cargo rack and storage bin, this will suffice. Will free up considerable space in the car for our frequent long trips.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have attached the photo from the email I received from Torklift showing that they now have their 'stealth' eco hitch available for the gen 2 Volt.
Sad to see that they're still going with the "through the license plate holder" design even though the Gen2 no longer has the oddball backup-up light below the middle of the rear bumper. I have TorkLift's Eco Hitch for attaching a bike rack to my Prius C and I'm extremely pleased with it, but I don't really like the behind-the-plate design and if I had a Volt I'd be looking for a below-the-bumper hitch.

I expect to get a Bolt EV next year and I really hope they go with a below-the-bumper design for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just finished installing my Curt hitch too. Took me around 3 hours. The most difficult part is removing the bumper fascia. I spent alot of time under the car, a hoist would have helped alot.
I would say it is time consuming as one has to remove the underbody panel, lights and rear fascia. Time consuming yes, difficult, I would say 7 of 10.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does the 9/10 difficulty rating stack up? How long did it take? What was the fitment like?
I agree with 16Volt. 7 out of 10. It took me about 2 hours. Fitment is fine except for the exhaust, and I am aware that this is nitpicking. When the hitch is in place the exhaust hanger is now air gapped from the body panel by the thickness of the hitch plate. I used washers on each of the two bolts, however, if you do not, the body panel would bend when you tighten the exhaust hanger back up. Instructions are straight forward. Minimal number of tools. Heads up, I had a LOT of gravel on my underbody panel.

Outside of that ... fantastic. Thank you Curt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Curt unit installed today. Pictures attached.
Looks good! I am installing mine this week, will share photos as well.

Is that the swagman XTC? I was looking at that, ordered the swagman XT. Probably should have gone with the XTC the wheel strap looks more secure, not sure I feel comfortable with just the grip arms holding the bike to the trays. How is the ground clearance when driving?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks good! I am installing mine this week, will share photos as well.

Is that the swagman XTC? I was looking at that, ordered the swagman XT. Probably should have gone with the XTC the wheel strap looks more secure, not sure I feel comfortable with just the grip arms holding the bike to the trays. How is the ground clearance when driving?
It is. No issues with ground clearance and we have a sizable drop at the end of our driveway. So much so that I can't pull in forward without grinding off the front air dam. Even with two (2) bikes on it the setup is pretty loose. Definitely use the strap to the back hatch, which is separate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Installed the Curt hitch, took about 3 hours. Moderately difficult, I had issues with the exhaust hanger but worked though them. There are a couple errors in the instructions I think as well. Here are some photos, sorry for cell phone quality shots.

Jacked the rear of the car up and onto jackstands. As there is only one jack point it was difficult to transfer to jackstands.

Remove body panel

This tool helped put an angle to get the torx tool into place around the wheel well.

Remove the taillights and the bumper cover. To disconnect the electrical connector you need to move the red tab and press down and pull, the connector separates easily. Took me a few to figure it out.

So ran into an issue with the hanger. The instructions aren't super clear on the order of installation, and the diagram in the instructions doesn't even show the hanger. There are two bolts for the hanger and the flange metal extends down and there are 2 holes in the bumper for the hanger. However, there is no equivalent holes in the Curt hitch. When bolting it all together there is an air gap the width of the flange on the Curt hitch. When bolting and torquing down the hanger bolts, it will bend metal on the flange on the aluminum bumper. Not good.

Work around for me was to use two washers that were roughly the width of the Curt hitch flange. I think Curt could improve the hitch by extending the passenger side flange to accommodate the holes for the hanger. I don't think these bolts are structurally important for the bumper, so the washer workaround is probably acceptable.

Putting everything back together was pretty easy, just reverse the steps. I actually waited to cut the bottom body panel, and actually traced the hitch and cut exactly to fit, rather than cutting a 3*5 hole.

Here is the view with my new swagman xt bike carrier through the rear camera. I am able to park in my garage with it attached to my car which is nice.

Seems very sturdy when loading the bikes but haven't any trips yet.

Some thoughts:
  • Etrailer shipped in a box where the hitch broke through. No major damage occurred but didn't look good.
  • The hitch is pretty heavy, didn't weigh it though. Probably necessary for strength but wish it was lighter.
  • Need to address the exhaust hanger issue, and fix the diagram in instructions.
  • Some of the screws were listed as the wrong type in the instructions.
  • I didn't have "aircraft shears" so just used a dremel to cut the bottom panel which was easy, its like a carpeted plastic or something you could probably use tin snips or heavy duty kitchen shears.
  • There was a bit of gravel buildup on top of the bottom panel, probably kicked up from the wheel well maybe.
  • There are rings for chains on the hitch. Probably for trailer chains but will probably use them to secure my bikes with a security cable.
  • I wonder that by adding the hitch, I may have hurt the crumple capability of the rear bumper, not sure but wonder about the safety implications of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent write up! I think a good number of Volt owners will benefit from your shared experience. Thanks for the contribution.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Nice to see that Curt went the right way and mounts to the frame on both sides now.

As far as packaging, when I got mine from Amazon 2 years ago, the box showed up pretty mangled. In the end it really doesn't matter though. It's a solid steel hitch. It can handle the abuse of shipping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very nice write up. Same issues with the instructions. I suspect that they really did not consider the DIY crowd when they wrote them up. I am still gathering data on the mileage penalty with bikes on the rack. My initial observation is that I am down 10 - 15 MPGe.

The shipping docs for my hitch showed 35 lbs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice write up. Same issues with the instructions. I suspect that they really did not consider the DIY crowd when they wrote them up. I am still gathering data on the mileage penalty with bikes on the rack. My initial observation is that I am down 10 - 15 MPGe.

The shipping docs for my hitch showed 35 lbs.
Been using it for a few days, don't really notice any mileage penalty with the hitch on city or highway, but with a couple bikes I was seeing more like 90mpge rather than 110mpge in city roads, haven't done a lot of highway driving yet. I imagine it will be better than a roof rack at least.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did mine yesterday (before reading this thread) and had all the exact same experiences as those posted here. Took me about 3 hours. aapocketz write up is excellent, wish I had seen it first. Couple of thoughts/comments:

- It helps immensely to raise the car. I started without raising it and it wasn't that much fun.
- An electric driver is SO handy for all those long torx and 7mm bolts.
- To remove the underbody panel, there is a "clip" that you are supposed to remove using a screwdriver. I couldn't figure out how the clip worked until after raising the car, then you can actually see it (otherwise it's in a blind location). It's a 2-piece clip: you first need to remove the cap of the clip and then remove the clip. I almost broke it.
- Bummer that they do not address the hanger exhaust bracket issue. Hitch should come with spacers.
- I was able to cut the body panel with regular scissors. I did the 3"x5" suggested window and I think it fits great.
- I think my torque wrench needs calibration cause the 45 lb-ft torque for those bolts seemed way too much.

The instructions say 30min (pro) or 1hr (novice) installation time. Yeah right, maybe if you have a hydraulic lift and you've already done this several times. Not difficult, but time-consuming.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts