GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to remove my upper and lower grills (the silver parts) and it seem the only way to do that is to remove the front bumper, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the thing off. I've already removed all the screws above the upper grill under the hood, as well as the screws in the wheel wells, and the 40 thousand screws on the bottom along the lower lip. Still the bumper is firmly in place.
Dows anyone one have instructions for removing the front bumper or for removing the grills (its and ACC car so it has the three piece upper grill if that matters)?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently removed the bumper on my 2017 LT to get a scratch repainted. All the screws on the bottom have to come off, the fender liners, most of the under panel bolts that link to the bumper cover, the bolts on the top edge of the grille. Then finally there are 2 large plastic clips (circled in photo below) that hold each end of the bumper to the fender, each of these have a screw accessible from inside the fender. Once those screws are removed you need to pull outward on the plastic bumper. You'll feel like it will break. There are 4 plastic tabs that lock into the bumper. Use 2 hands, push from the inside working across the edge of the plastic. There's a 1st gen video on YouTube that may help, similar but not identical:

All of that said--on my car the aluminum grilles are secured to the bumper with rivets (I think--maybe they were plastic rivets? Don't remember, I left my grille attached to the bumper). You will have to drill those out and then replace on reassembly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, looks like I didn't see those two you circled in red. In the end I managed to get done what I needed without removing the bumper, but good to know for the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts