GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Just wrapped up the 1st year with my 2017 Volt, (15K miles), and am very happy.
In fact; just came back from the drag-strip with my V8 enthusiast sons; Had a great time watching them turn 13.2
seconds with a new Chevy SS. And on a dare; ran my 2017 Volt, and managed 15.9 seconds ;-)

So.... as per the title of this post: is it just me, or are others interested in the possibility of a software tune for the GEN2 volts ??

Lots of discussion here.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?25-Software-amp-Programming-Code-Discussions-Chevy-Volt

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Not me, but have at it.

So you think GM made the car artificially slow? Or is it possible that because they are on the hook for a long life battery warranty they did not want to do anything that could degrade the battery prematurely?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You can easily 'tune' a doubling of the battery's current output and then 'tell' the motors how to double their stock power output.
This can all be done without harming any component in the Volt.
And the best part; when GM finds out about this 'hack', they are still happy to honor the 100k mile powertrain warranty!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not me, but have at it.

So you think GM made the car artificially slow? Or is it possible that because they are on the hook for a long life battery warranty they did not want to do anything that could degrade the battery prematurely?
Actually it is a lively and fun car as-is, and I appreciate that GMs design is a balance that allows for a great warranty.
The challenge of tilting that balance (albeit with some risk) is just human nature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can easily 'tune' a doubling of the battery's current output and then 'tell' the motors how to double their stock power output.
And the best part; when GM finds out about this 'hack', they are still happy to honor the 100k mile powertrain warranty!
Sarcasm aside; I doubt this extreme example ^^ is possible.
However; I would also hope that anyone considering such a mod is fully aware that such a mod could cause warranty concerns.

Thanks for the dramatic reminder of the risks involved ;-)

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
I just ask myself, if a simple tune could do this, why didn't GM do it? They know that a faster speed would help sell the car, look at Tesla. Something battery related must concern them. And if it's a battery related concern that points to either safety or premature wear. Of course this is all conjecture. It could be that tuning the car in this way will increase the battery life. Which still leaves me asking, then why didn't GM do it?

But it's your car, you can mess with it if you want. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ask myself, if a simple tune could do this, why didn't GM do it? They know that a faster speed would help sell the car, look at Tesla. Something battery related must concern them. And if it's a battery related concern that points to either safety or premature wear. Of course this is all conjecture. It could be that tuning the car in this way will increase the battery life. Which still leaves me asking, then why didn't GM do it?

But it's your car, you can mess with it if you want. :)
All good questions, not something I will be doing without a better understanding

·
Registered
347 Posts
What if you went to smaller diameter, stickier tires? For example going to a similar width tire on a 45 or 50 aspect 15" tire would effectively increase the axle ratio and the torque delivered to the road be about 15%. A stickier street racing rubber compound would increase traction and reduce tire spin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What if you went to smaller diameter, stickier tires? For example going to a similar width tire on a 45 or 50 aspect 15" tire would effectively increase the axle ratio and the torque delivered to the road be about 15%. A stickier street racing rubber compound would increase traction and reduce tire spin.
That would certainly make a difference for drag-strip outings, yesterday's drag strip outing may have been a one-off event for me ;-)
However just looking into the possibility of all-around performance gains .

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hope nobody believes you. They are in for a surprise. GM is the king of finding ways out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I thought one reason for the computer-limited throttle response--especially at takeoff--is that the instant torque requires some beefier differentials and other (more expensive) performance parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought one reason for the computer-limited throttle response--especially at takeoff--is that the instant torque requires some beefier differentials and other (more expensive) performance parts.
I thought that also; based on what others were saying about the "tune" that GM engineered into the more powerful ELR (Gen2 volt 120Kwh maximum versus ELR maximum of 135Kw).

However; it seems aside from suspension and wheel components, the ELR has identical power-train components. Perhaps others have better knowledge of these differences and can comment?

·
Registered
477 Posts
You need to talk to Volt owners with > 100,000 miles, they do not have warranty and perhaps do not worry about changing the OEM parameters, as the Volts get old will be more people ready to "experiment'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts