GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Rethinking my earlier comment... the window sticker EPA rating is an estimate. If your full charge estimate is higher, then you are, indeed, doing better than the advertised estimate. While a high estimate reflects efficient driving performance, an achieved AER is more impressive.

Perhaps GM erred in not setting the maximum estimated range on the display at, say, 70 ev miles (similar to the 50 for 2011/2012 Volts, 60 for the 2013-2015). Perhaps Gen 2 owners would then offer their ev miles/ kWh Used as evidence they could exceed the maximum full charge range display number.

GM seems to be succeeding in convincing owners to think of their Volt as a gas hybrid with all-electric town car capabilities by enabling them to select which fuel type to use under which circumstances. Using the battery power when ICE gas mileage conditions are poor (e.g., stop-and-go city traffic), and using Hold when electric mileage conditions are poor (e.g., during higher speed portions of the trip) are both techniques to maximize the fuel mileage of each fuel type. Better fuel mileage = higher range estimates. If you rarely drive beyond battery range, you rarely exhaust your opportunities to employ these mode-choice mileage-enhancing techniques.

With DIC range estimates based on previous use of that particular fuel type, the ability to switch between Electric Mode and Extended Range Mode at will (or until the battery is depleted), and the willingness to do so based on the driving circumstances, degrades the significance of the range estimates themselves.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
We have a 2016 Volt LTZ, now with nearly 10,000 miles. Summer, here in northwestern Oregon, range is usually 60+ miles on electric. Winter, temps. in the 30's -40's, rain, wet roads, etc. Range is down to 45-48 miles. The Volt is my wifes car and she drives it not for efficiency, she keeps temp. 74-78, max heat.

On a side note yesterday we took a trip down to Tillamook Oregon for last minute Christmas shopping at the Tillamook Country Smoker where they make their jerky and smoked sausage. Round trip was nearly 100 miles. We went 44 miles on electric, temp. was 39-43 F, and wet roads and rain at times. Of course inside it was toasty warm for my wife, 75 degrees, almost too hot.

When running on gas, regular 87 octane, when we ran out of electricity we averaged 47 mpg, which for the weather etc. is excellent. I noticed that the Volt when running just on gas in winter weather, of course also winter blended gasoline 10% Ethanol as well, mpg on gas is as good if not better than our 2010 Prius. Infact last fill up with our 2010 Prius, 2 days ago, was 43.7 mpg calculated. Just curious if any other forum members with a Prius have noticed the same thing. It just seems the Prius take a real big hit on mpg in winter. Summer mid 50's+ is the norm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Granted, I was carrying my mom, sister, and a number of Costco items home, so the weight was pretty high...
LOL, don't let them hear you say that!

To the OP, many Gen2 owners on this site have posted beating the EPA estimate, just as many Gen1 owners have. I'm a couple hours south of you, around DC. I drive conservatively: in the Summer my driving scores were in the high positives for my commute, and I was getting around 75 miles of EV range. The past couple of days of 30-40 F degree temps have seen my EV range between 55 and 62, with the driving score only slightly positive. I'm usually mostly 40-45 mph on backroads, with a little bit of 50 mph driving.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
75% freeway and 25% city driving. Oftentimes on return trip, encounter 5-30 mph variable traffic on 25% of freeway.

61 miles on winter with 33 deg F departure temperature and 58 deg F returning home temperature.
summer just 68 miles, because it's too hot here. Spring or Fall, about 72 miles but not when it rains hard, it drops down to 49-53 miles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What does your usage screen show for ev miles actually driven following a full depletion? You’re not beating the EPA 53 estimate if you don’t drive more than 53 miles on battery power before recharging.

Someone who drives their Gen 2 only 20 miles a day, but does it efficiently and ends the day with a usage screen showing 20 ev miles/ ~3.3 kWh Used, will eventually acquire a full charge estimated range of ~87 miles. Actually driving 87 miles while maintaining that same efficiency is another matter because it usually throws more complex terrain and a wider range of speeds into the picture. Someone who regularly drives in Hold at higher speeds to avoid using the battery and switches to Normal before driving downhill to increase the ev mile numbers can also inflate the full charge estimate.
It's even more confusing then that too since that usage screen kW also factors in the regen! So if you have a lot of stop and go traffic that allows you to plan ahead and max the regen each time you might have USED 6 kW of energy and recovered 2 kW and it'll show 20 miles and only 4 kW used. Well if you go in a straight line at the same average speed for 4 kW you might not actually go 20 miles.

I really wish that energy screen had an option to show total energy, even if it would go above the rated energy amount of the battery. I want to see how much I'm using without "taking away" from the regen. Then I can truly figure out a mile/kW very easy.

To answer the original question, I haven't run out of battery yet with my 2017. In the late summer and fall with great weather and just mild AC use I was estimated at a peak of about 64 miles but never drove more then about 40. Now in the winter I'm estimated down at about 36 miles and WOULD have run out of battery a couple times except it was so cold and all going toward heat that I switched on the engine anyway to gain better heating on my trip.

I figure down to about 40F you could match the range if I didn't mind being a little cool and just using seat heaters. Below that my range drops off pretty quick because I fire up a lot of heat. Around 60 to 80F I can get into the 60s. I'm curious what I'll hit when I have constant summer sun and temps of 90 to 110.

I will also note that the mid 30s range is also on Blizzaks. I'm not certain I'll keep the OEM tires into the spring since I kinda wanna go with a run-flat.... I doubt any run-flats are also LRR rated??

·
Registered
297 Posts
I guess I fall into the under perform category. So far I have had a best ev range of 46 miles and have been as low as 38. To say the least I am disappointed. I was expecting to be able to do my 44 mile commute on all electric and have been able to do it once. Commute is 1400 ft elevation change and all 55 mph or higher. Throw in a trip for lunch and it's not even close. Granted it has been cold, had a few sub 0 days, but now back in the 40's.
I came from a tdi and was expecting to go at least as far between trips to the pump. So far it's been about the same, 600 ish miles. Once I start doing weekend trips I expect I will not even hit 550 per tank. I do a 300 mile trip on the weekend with no charging options. Not even close on a road trip where the tdi could go 700 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got about 1100 miles on my 2017 Volt and the gauge typically shows 45 Miles available after a full charge. I generally charge it every night and most of my driving is just around town. That's a 20% decrease from where it should be and I think its fairly conservative since it seems to tick down faster than the actual miles. I realize these are only estimates but am beginning to wonder if something may actually be wrong with it since the winter weather is not much of a factor here in the central coast of California.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the replies. For our newer folks, if the Gen 2 is anything like my Gen 1, it took quite a few thousand miles for it (and me) to reach "peak" efficiency for EV driving. The tires needed to wear a bit, the car needed to learn a bit, and more importantly -- I needed to learn a few things myself. My Gen 1 is more "unforgiving" with certain driving habits that never seemed "inefficient" in my former ICE vehicle (for example, using cruise on the highway in my ICE vehicle would yield a decent MPG, but in the Volt it does not on my particular highway route--likely because of wasting energy "maintaining" speed up its many hills).

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
I've got about 1100 miles on my 2017 Volt and the gauge typically shows 45 Miles available after a full charge. I generally charge it every night and most of my driving is just around town. That's a 20% decrease from where it should be and I think its fairly conservative since it seems to tick down faster than the actual miles. I realize these are only estimates but am beginning to wonder if something may actually be wrong with it since the winter weather is not much of a factor here in the central coast of California.
If you are only seeing 45 miles where you are expecting 50+, try driving like a grandpa, driving in Normal D and never using regen to see if that causes your range to go up. Buy if you are enjoying the high torque and taking on any and all pony cars from stoplights then using the regen paddle to priskly slow down for the next light, then it's your driving habits that are to blame for your lower EV miles. But if you are already driving like a grandpa and never exceed 50 mph, then maybe there's something else going on?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 3k miles '17 Volt. We drive pretty conservatively. Used to display ~ 53 miles at full charge, now consistently shows 45. Our Volt is always outside and the weather in San Jose almost never drops below freezing. But the drop in displayed range does seem to be tied to the cooler season.

The real test would be for you or me to measure the ACTUAL range of the car, as what gets displayed on the screen in the morning is less meaningful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Low 60s around town, high speed drops to 46. Gas 39.5 at 70mph plus. Haven't needed much heat so far, just seats and steering wheel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For those experiencing the lower estimates, maybe while you're out driving and stopped at a light, take a picture of your instrument cluster and center pillar dash, so that folks here can see what type of climate control you may or may not be running.

Here in NoVA, temps are in the low 30s. I'm still keeping the climate control off, except for occasional bursts of LO ECO defrost for foggy windows. I use the heated seats and steering wheel, and still am getting close to 60 miles. Most of my driving is 35-45 mph backroads, with a few miles at 50 mph.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Almost always get 60+ miles showing on the estimate here in San Diego. Mostly city driving and mild temps. I've had the car for a year and haven't heard the engine run except for engine maintenance mode. VoltStats.net shows over 8,000 miles and getting about 16,000 mpg. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yesterday morning my fully charged EV Range on my 2017 was 46 miles, I drove 53 miles before the ICE came on (some freeway but mostly city driving, heated steering wheel/seat and a little windshield defrost every now and then). Needless to say I was pretty pleased, I can almost always beat the EV estimate in the lower left-hand corner of the display unless I drive at 70MPH during freeway commutes.

My furthest was low 60's miles on a full charge in the several weeks after I bought the car (end of Sept.). I'm now looking forward to spring/summer to see how far I can get the range to be (hopefully 70+ miles!).

:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Volt is my wife's car and she drives it faster than one would normally drive an ICE car due to instant torque. City driving only that reaches 60mph and stops.
~48 miles at 40F outside (no heater).
~51 miles at 80F+ outside (with AC).
8000 electric miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only had my '17 Volt 2 weeks and bought a car that had 45 miles on it--42 using gas! Dumb move when trying to sell a PHEV. Anyway, I'm already up to 63 miles & it seems to add another 1 every other day or so. My driving is mostly on our local roads which are 55mph. Have driven into Tampa, a 52 mile round trip at 70mph, and still had 8 miles left & that was when I was only up to 53 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, here near Tampa most of my driving has been at 55mph but took 2 trips into south Tampa on I75 doing 70mph--a 52 mile round trip and still had 8 miles left. Granted, in the colder regions the available miles will be less. Now I'm up to 63 miles. Love this car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting. It was the same when I bought mine. It had about 100 miles on it and 90 was on ICE. I had asked them to charge long before I arrived to test drive, but it only had enough to go 3-4 miles on EV. You are right, not smart when trying to sell this car but it worked out for me. They seemed motivated to move it.

Only had my '17 Volt 2 weeks and bought a car that had 45 miles on it--42 using gas! Dumb move when trying to sell a PHEV. Anyway, I'm already up to 63 miles & it seems to add another 1 every other day or so. My driving is mostly on our local roads which are 55mph. Have driven into Tampa, a 52 mile round trip at 70mph, and still had 8 miles left & that was when I was only up to 53 miles.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Referring to electric miles shown on DIC following full charge (I do Level 2 only),my 2017 Volt LT regularly now shows 87 miles.We are on Big Island (HI) with in garage charging at home.Nominal outside temp 70s F.
Never saw any Volt when we went to Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island two weeks ago. The rental deal gave us a Fiat, it was horrible drive!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.