GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been lurking and planning to buy since mid-2015 after I realized our then-new solar array was going to produce more than enough to support an EV. Test drove a Leaf (meh, and the offered lease was absurdly expensive), checked out VW e-Golf (decided I didn't want range anxiety), then drove a co-worker's Gen 1 which she loves (since about 2012) and it all made sense: Volt is the only intelligently designed EV for the current state of affairs. (When omnipresent 'gas' stations become 'charge' stations, that may change.)

I got my 2016 LT Kinetic Blue with Ash leather during the big July sale, thanks to a heads-up from this forum. I had almost given up hope that any dealer would carry an LT with leather instead of just upselling a Premier. But I really have no need for all the electronica on the Premier for my short 10-mile round trip country commute, so didn't want to pay $3k more. Then when the news of the sale broke, I searched the Chevy site for nearby dealers and found Matthews Chevy in Vestal had 4 LTs, 2 with leather. I loved the Siren Red but it had creepy cloth, ugh. The blue (2nd color choice) was web priced at $29,500 after the 20% from $36895 (they larded it up with some bogus options like those stupid sill protectors and an extra charger and that dumb iPad holder). But we got in the Frontier and high-balled it the 50 miles down there Sat morning and made the deal then and there. I knew I was forgoing the upcoming NYS $2k rebate (not yet in place), but 20% off was amazing and I will get the full $7500. After refusing to remove the extra charger and iPad holder 'cause they are on the invoice', the sales guy pulled out the contract and wrote down $28200. Yikes! So he basically gave me all the extra options for free anyway!

I sold my 2004 V70R for $11,200 last Fall in preparation for buying a Volt (easy sale: a guy I work with begged me to sell it!), and will save about $500 per year in gas over the next 5 years, so by my math,
$36895
-$7513 (20%)
-$1300 dealer discount
+~$3200 TTL
-$7500 Fed
-$11200 'trade-in'
-$2500 gas savings
makes this car cost $10,000 after 5 years (assuming warranty covers anything other than tires). If I can't sell it for at least that much, I made a bad deal. (Not worrying about that.)

Now the one thing I really did not care for on either LT or Premier was the ugly wheels. Slabby Home Depot ceiling fans on the LT, and creepy Medusa-heads on the Premier. I do, however, think the black painted pocket versions are transformed into awesome wheels, but no way I'm paying Chevy $1900 for a lick of paint. But that got me thinking: if I got a Premier, I'd paint my own, but as I got an LT, what could I do about that?

Following is the link to my solution (too many pics to post inline here):

https://flic.kr/s/aHskJ7VKaQ

Teaser:
20 20160806_173819_1024.jpg

I posted an album at the Flickr link above. The comments are attached to each photo, so be sure to read them for the step-by-step (annoyingly, they always seem to be just off the bottom of my browser window as you view each picture, and invisible if you choose slideshow).

Let me know what you think about my little summer project, now complete!

Chris

P.S.: the other mods I made since acquisition:
-Android Auto added after delivery; first time I plugged the phone in, Google comes up with my next appointment and the map to it on the screen. Awesome... and damn spooky.

-Dealer spotted and fixed for free-and perfectly-2 small paint blemishes (even offered to drive up 50mi to swap me a loaner, but I drove down to get some Volt miles under my belt, then his driver returned my car a week later all fixed up; very professional of Matthews to take care of this blemish that I had not spotted in my walk around!)

-Husky Weatherbeaters (98282) custom for Gen 2 for the foot wells, in gray (goes nice with the Ash interior); factory mats up in the garage rafters, but I did keep the rear hatch well factory mat (PM me if you want to buy the foot well mats in black!)

-DoD RX8W dashcam/large mirror with cig lighter wire invisibly run around driver's A-pillar (by me)

-Valentine One radar detector mounted on PerformancePackage Mirror Mount Radar Detector Bracket (with custom holder for V1), attaches to mirror arm
- V1 power run invisibly under roof liner and driver's A-pillar to fuse 36 (accessory power in driver's knee fuse panel) via Lumision Add-a-circuit ATR Micro2 Fuse-tap and 3M clip to the pigtail

- Cyberguys Flat black 30-pin USB cable run more or less invisibly from USB port under console trim to the central stash box under the drivers arm rest for an old iPod Video; however, this iPod overheats on hot days and doesn't run reliably so I've been using a 32GB flash key instead

- ProClip Console Mount and Tilt-swivel Charging Holder custom for Gen 2 and Nexus 6P; ProClip includes a handy spudger that I used for some of the other wire installs...

- Removed stupid iPad holder (anyone want to buy it for $60 or best offer, PM me; has factory install booklet and any bozo can do this); it has 2 fold out hangers for your purse or garbage bag or whatever and you can disconnect the tablet grip without disassembling it from the head rest, but I have no need of it; my wife's purse would bend the head rest...

- Added convex stick-on mirrors (rear view cam should work on demand, damn it!, not just in Reverse; spoiled by years of Volvo station wagon glass); Square-Shape Blind spot adjustable mirrors from EMIUP (Amazon)

- Rain-X on windshield, headlamps. side mirrors

- Custom NYS bluebird plates with rear holder Carshow Automotive 77401; added painted license plate screws cause I couldn't find nylon ones (yet)

- Zaino just arrived, so that goes on this weekend

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had been lurking and planning to buy since mid-2015 after I realized our then-new solar array was going to produce more than enough to support an EV. Test drove a Leaf (meh, and the offered lease was absurdly expensive), checked out VW e-Golf (decided I didn't want range anxiety), then drove a co-worker's Gen 1 which she loves (since about 2012) and it all made sense: Volt is the only intelligently designed EV for the current state of affairs. (When omnipresent 'gas' stations become 'charge' stations, that may change.)

I got my 2016 LT Kinetic Blue with Ash leather during the big July sale, thanks to a heads-up from this forum. I had almost given up hope that any dealer would carry an LT with leather instead of just upselling a Premier. But I really have no need for all the electronica on the Premier for my short 10-mile round trip country commute, so didn't want to pay $3k more. Then when the news of the sale broke, I searched the Chevy site for nearby dealers and found Matthews Chevy in Vestal had 4 LTs, 2 with leather. I loved the Siren Red but it had creepy cloth, ugh. The blue (2nd color choice) was web priced at $29,500 after the 20% from $36895 (they larded it up with some bogus options like those stupid sill protectors and an extra charger and that dumb iPad holder). But we got in the Frontier and high-balled it the 50 miles down there Sat morning and made the deal then and there. I knew I was forgoing the upcoming NYS $2k rebate (not yet in place), but 20% off was amazing and I will get the full $7500. After refusing to remove the extra charger and iPad holder 'cause they are on the invoice', the sales guy pulled out the contract and wrote down $28200. Yikes! So he basically gave me all the extra options for free anyway!

I sold my 2004 V70R for $11,200 last Fall in preparation for buying a Volt (easy sale: a guy I work with begged me to sell it!), and will save about $500 per year in gas over the next 5 years, so by my math,
$36895
-$7513 (20%)
-$1300 dealer discount
+~$3200 TTL
-$7500 Fed
-$11200 'trade-in'
-$2500 gas savings
makes this car cost $10,000 after 5 years (assuming warranty covers anything other than tires). If I can't sell it for at least that much, I made a bad deal. (Not worrying about that.)

Now the one thing I really did not care for on either LT or Premier was the ugly wheels. Slabby Home Depot ceiling fans on the LT, and creepy Medusa-heads on the Premier. I do, however, think the black painted pocket versions are transformed into awesome wheels, but no way I'm paying Chevy $1900 for a lick of paint. But that got me thinking: if I got a Premier, I'd paint my own, but as I got an LT, what could I do about that?

Following is the link to my solution (too many pics to post inline here):

https://flic.kr/s/aHskJ7VKaQ

Teaser:
View attachment 118450

I posted an album at the Flickr link above. The comments are attached to each photo, so be sure to read them for the step-by-step (annoyingly, they always seem to be just off the bottom of my browser window as you view each picture, and invisible if you choose slideshow).

Let me know what you think about my little summer project, now complete!

Chris

P.S.: the other mods I made since acquisition:
-Android Auto added after delivery; first time I plugged the phone in, Google comes up with my next appointment and the map to it on the screen. Awesome... and damn spooky.

-Dealer spotted and fixed for free-and perfectly-2 small paint blemishes (even offered to drive up 50mi to swap me a loaner, but I drove down to get some Volt miles under my belt, then his driver returned my car a week later all fixed up; very professional of Matthews to take care of this blemish that I had not spotted in my walk around!)

-Husky Weatherbeaters (98282) custom for Gen 2 for the foot wells, in gray (goes nice with the Ash interior); factory mats up in the garage rafters, but I did keep the rear hatch well factory mat (PM me if you want to buy the foot well mats in black!)

-DoD RX8W dashcam/large mirror with cig lighter wire invisibly run around driver's A-pillar (by me)

-Valentine One radar detector mounted on PerformancePackage Mirror Mount Radar Detector Bracket (with custom holder for V1), attaches to mirror arm
- V1 power run invisibly under roof liner and driver's A-pillar to fuse 36 (accessory power in driver's knee fuse panel) via Lumision Add-a-circuit ATR Micro2 Fuse-tap and 3M clip to the pigtail

- Cyberguys Flat black 30-pin USB cable run more or less invisibly from USB port under console trim to the central stash box under the drivers arm rest for an old iPod Video; however, this iPod overheats on hot days and doesn't run reliably so I've been using a 32GB flash key instead

- ProClip Console Mount and Tilt-swivel Charging Holder custom for Gen 2 and Nexus 6P; ProClip includes a handy spudger that I used for some of the other wire installs...

- Removed stupid iPad holder (anyone want to buy it for $60 or best offer, PM me; has factory install booklet and any bozo can do this); it has 2 fold out hangers for your purse or garbage bag or whatever and you can disconnect the tablet grip without disassembling it from the head rest, but I have no need of it; my wife's purse would bend the head rest...

- Added convex stick-on mirrors (rear view cam should work on demand, damn it!, not just in Reverse; spoiled by years of Volvo station wagon glass); Square-Shape Blind spot adjustable mirrors from EMIUP (Amazon)

- Rain-X on windshield, headlamps. side mirrors

- Custom NYS bluebird plates with rear holder Carshow Automotive 77401; added painted license plate screws cause I couldn't find nylon ones (yet)

- Zaino just arrived, so that goes on this weekend
Looks good!

I was on the fence about an LT also, but because of the rims and the safety features I ended up with a blue premier. If i'd stuck with the LT, I'd be doing your mod. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Now that's how you buy a new car. And as a LONG time ZAINO user I can tell you your KB will POP. This is my Siren Red after its initial detail with ONE coat of ZAINO Z2-Pro and I didn't have time to finish it off with Z6 or Z8 when I took this photo.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fellow Zaino user here as well - my Heather grey looks amazing after a few layers of zaino

(click pics for full resolution)

I'm toying with the idea of doing a plastidip grey color on my LT rims -- with the glossifier everything I've seen on other cars and they come out looking amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bazinga and accelerus, both of your cars look fantastic! Thanks for the encouragement. It was absurdly humid on Saturday so I waited til today to get started and got as far as z7 wash, z18 clay, 2nd z7 wash, zAIO, and first z5. Waiting til tomorrow to buff that and add z2 and one of the top shine coats.
I'll be interested to see if you mod your heather wheels. Get 2 cans of base and 1 of top and glossifier, then you'll have enough to all 4, but you can do 1 first to see if it works, then peel if not. Save a butt load of work and follow fonzie's vids to do the whole wheel while mounted. I do not work for dipyourcar but those are great vids!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome job, furthebirds!!!
I want to post my wheels too. I decided to go with 18 inch 235/40R18 for better grip and handling. It was a very long wait as they did not have this bolt pattern and had to custom drill it... Here are the wheels/tires:
FK RT-57 18x8 40 offset
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40R18

FK-RT-57.jpg

20160924_152558.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
furthebirds,

I really like your paint upgrade for the stock LT wheels! I think I will be doing the same. How many hours do you feel you have invested?

Also; wondering if you considered Plasti-Dip instead of paint?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts