GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
THANKS, using your numbers MATH= If electricity is $0.20/kWh, that’s $3.37 for a full charge I am using GAS and not Charging in Massachusetts #3 MOST Expensive ERATEs in usa=weak and wimpy. Electricity Supply $ 0.09403 KW*hr RE looks so CHEAP here, but ADD +++ Energy Efficiency Chg $ 0.02098 KW*hr ++ Transmission Charge$ 0.0313 KW*hr +++ Dist Chg $ 0.07423 KW*hr == RE inverters, Xformers, Transmission lines == Copper Cu. MASSACHUSETTS shut down 62% of Mass Non-Emission Egen = Pilgrim Nuclear in 2019. Mass grid is 2020 MORE Emissions. Yet Transmission Cost are the $$$ subsides Mass rate payers PAY for Renewable Energy Scam which is really METHANE BERNieing to replace prematurely closed Nuclear Power @ $$ 0.065 KW*hr . Nuclear Transmission Costs are LOW! New Boondoggle Hydro Quebec Transmission line ~~ $$ 1.5 Billion paid by MASS ratepayers ERATES GOING UP UP UP $$$!! Math== 0.09403 +0.02098 +0.0313 + 0.07423== $$$$ 0.22054 KW*hr . I bought gas for $1.99 /GAL Volt gets ~~ 38 MPG hybrid Your MATH= If electricity is $0.20/kWh, that’s $3.37 for a full charge. The numbers are from my EBILL SO WHY CHARGE IN MASSACHUSETTS??????

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
THANKS, using your numbers MATH= If electricity is $0.20/kWh, that’s $3.37 for a full charge I am using GAS and not Charging in Massachusetts #3 MOST Expensive ERATEs in usa=weak and wimpy. Electricity Supply $ 0.09403 KW*hr RE looks so CHEAP here, but ADD +++ Energy Efficiency Chg $ 0.02098 KW*hr ++ Transmission Charge$ 0.0313 KW*hr +++ Dist Chg $ 0.07423 KW*hr == RE inverters, Xformers, Transmission lines == Copper Cu. MASSACHUSETTS shut down 62% of Mass Non-Emission Egen = Pilgrim Nuclear in 2019. Mass grid is 2020 MORE Emissions. Yet Transmission Cost are the $$$ subsides Mass rate payers PAY for Renewable Energy Scam which is really METHANE BERNieing to replace prematurely closed Nuclear Power @ $$ 0.065 KW*hr . Nuclear Transmission Costs are LOW! New Boondoggle Hydro Quebec Transmission line ~~ $$ 1.5 Billion paid by MASS ratepayers ERATES GOING UP UP UP $$$!! Math== 0.09403 +0.02098 +0.0313 + 0.07423== $$$$ 0.22054 KW*hr . I bought gas for $1.99 /GAL Volt gets ~~ 38 MPG hybrid Your MATH= If electricity is $0.20/kWh, that’s $3.37 for a full charge. The numbers are from my EBILL SO WHY CHARGE IN MASSACHUSETTS??????
So, from one perspective, if your electricity is $0.22054/kWh and gas is $1.99/gallon, and it takes 16.85 kWh of "from the wall" electricity to provide your Gen 2 Volt with "one full charge" (sticker ratings = 53 electric miles) and 1.40 gallons of gas to drive 53 gas miles (at your estimate of 38 mpg), then your cost for fuel for 53 miles of driving is $3.72 when using grid power and $2.78 when using gas.

You seem to be saying that for you, it’s not worth spending an extra 2 cents a mile on fuel costs to drive an all-electric car instead of a gas hybrid vehicle... but didn’t you purchase the car for that very reason, i.e., to experience the benefits of electric propulsion?

·
Registered
6 Posts
COST $$$$$$$ is #1 priority as an Engineer! PROBLEM=ISONE run EGRID is REGULATED to PROMOTE Inefficient UnReliable so Called "Renewable Energy" with NON Environmental Justice Subsides. IF lowering Costs AND lowering CARBON Footprint were ISONE Regulatory priority, Then New England would have a 100% Nuclear GRID with CHEAP Electrons to Power ECARS. NE Pols are Ruled by Fossil Fuels and Very Smart POLs that fear monger on NUCLEAR POWER and supported by $$$$ Fossil Fuels==DO THE MATH!!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The fossil fuel industry (coal and oil) in the US is subsidized by the tune of $20 billion per year, every year so you are not paying the true cost of gas at the pump. You are not alone. Even here in BC where gas is expensive and hydro is cheap )come 2025 we will have enough generation to meet expected needs, what ever that is, for the next 100 years) we subsidize the fossil fuel industry. This coming election (Oct. 24), the Green Party says they will stop the subsidization of fossil fuels so everything is on a more level playing field. Not that they'll get in, they are a minor player but currently hold the balance of power in a minority government. In my area the cost of my Volt is 3 cents a mile while my Integra was 19 cents a mile (fuel only) so way cheaper to run on electricity than on gas. Money in Cdn funds. Multiply by .75 to get US funds for comparison. Your area may differ depending on who's paying for your politicians campaigns. Renewables are cheap. Fossil fuels are not (with being heavily subsidized by government). Oil companies have said, demand has peaked and are pulling out of the more expensive extraction areas, recognizing they are dead ends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am using GAS and not Charging in Massachusetts #3 MOST Expensive ERATEs in usa=weak and wimpy. Electricity Supply $ 0.09403 KW*hr RE looks so CHEAP here, but ADD +++ Energy Efficiency Chg $ 0.02098 KW*hr ++ Transmission Charge$ 0.0313 KW*hr +++ Dist Chg $ 0.07423 KW*hr == RE inverters, Xformers, Transmission lines == Copper Cu. MASSACHUSETTS shut down 62% of Mass Non-Emission Egen = Pilgrim Nuclear in 2019. Mass grid is 2020 MORE Emissions. Yet Transmission Cost are the $$$ subsides Mass rate payers PAY for Renewable Energy Scam which is really METHANE BERNieing to replace prematurely closed Nuclear Power @ $$ 0.065 KW*hr . Nuclear Transmission Costs are LOW! New Boondoggle Hydro Quebec Transmission line ~~ $$ 1.5 Billion paid by MASS ratepayers ERATES GOING UP UP UP $$$!! Math== 0.09403 +0.02098 +0.0313 + 0.07423== $$$$ 0.22054 KW*hr . I bought gas for $1.99 /GAL Volt gets ~~ 38 MPG hybrid Your MATH= If electricity is $0.20/kWh, that’s $3.37 for a full charge. The numbers are from my EBILL SO WHY CHARGE IN MASSACHUSETTS??????

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fossil fuel industry (coal and oil) in the US is subsidized by the tune of $20 billion per year, every year so you are not paying the true cost of gas at the pump. You are not alone. Even here in BC where gas is expensive and hydro is cheap )come 2025 we will have enough generation to meet expected needs, what ever that is, for the next 100 years) we subsidize the fossil fuel industry. This coming election (Oct. 24), the Green Party says they will stop the subsidization of fossil fuels so everything is on a more level playing field. Not that they'll get in, they are a minor player but currently hold the balance of power in a minority government. In my area the cost of my Volt is 3 cents a mile while my Integra was 19 cents a mile (fuel only) so way cheaper to run on electricity than on gas. Money in Cdn funds. Multiply by .75 to get US funds for comparison. Your area may differ depending on who's paying for your politicians campaigns. Renewables are cheap. Fossil fuels are not (with being heavily subsidized by government). Oil companies have said, demand has peaked and are pulling out of the more expensive extraction areas, recognizing they are dead ends.
Wait, what? There are fossil fuel subsidies but 20B is not the NET. The U.S. govt does subsidize by helping declining fields and exploration and production, but taxas generate more than double that amount of money. Federal taxes are about 18 and 24 cents for gas/diesel and states add a whole lot more. Texas adds about 20 cents (pretty much the low end) and California about 63 cents/gallon (the high end). You have to look at both sides of the equation and all the moving parts.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Wait, what? There are fossil fuel subsidies but 20B is not the NET. The U.S. govt does subsidize by helping declining fields and exploration and production, but taxas generate more than double that amount of money. Federal taxes are about 18 and 24 cents for gas/diesel and states add a whole lot more. Texas adds about 20 cents (pretty much the low end) and California about 63 cents/gallon (the high end). You have to look at both sides of the equation and all the moving parts.
Or you could just eliminate the subsidy. $20B here and $20B there and pretty soon you are talking real money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Or you could just eliminate the subsidy. $20B here and $20B there and pretty soon you are talking real money.
Yeah, that's a house of cards, lol. EVERYTHING has a subsidy... Corn for ethanol, tax credits for electric cars, rebates from electric coops for EV charging installs... Solar rebates... and so on. At the end of the day, our governments should stop subsidies altogether, regulate pollution, and let the marketplace decide.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts