GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers door Chime Disable - no more constant beep! Gen2

So, this door ajar chime irritates me big time.

I have small kids so when they fall asleep I have to turn off the car to exit just to grab the mail on the way home, wait in the car while wifey is buying something in a store - and i need to adjust their lil head from flopping over, etc....anytime I open the door, this chime is relentless!! ...

the passenger and rear doors beep 4 times and that's tolerable, but the driver non stop is crazy..

I went to the factory service manual and searched "CHIME" and then found info on how it functions at the drivers door latch - I then searched "door ajar" and found the A23D terminal 10 pin connector that completes the circuit to create the signal.

electrically its a NO - normally open circuit so I essentially made it Permanently open! (ie, I cut the wire). done and done.

If I really wanted too, I could have created a relay off the signal and turnd off the speaker making the sound when the door is open - but all this would do would give me the red door open symbol on the dash back.

I don't care for either. I think I can tell when and if my drivers door is open...

pics:
Door ajar switch - description below provides details on how it works - NO (normally open):
10-1-2019 1-30-51 PM.jpg

so searching the manual I found the door ajar switch is at location 1 - door adjar A23D connector at PIN 1 - later in the FSM it says the GY/BK is a gray wire with a black stripe on it:
10-1-2019 1-56-06 PM.jpg

I then followed and searchd "GY/BK" to see where this wire goes and it turns out it terminates at the wondow motor connector, so I then realized its best to simply cut it at its 10 pin A23D location and not risk signal issues with how the motor may use the wire upstream. I simply cut it downstream at the A23D:
10-16-2019 12-18-45 PM.jpg

Removing the door panel is very easy-need a 7mm socket and you simply remove 3 bolts and pull on the panel lower section - you don't even need to remove the full panel, just pry it up enough to get to the 10 pin A23D harness:
20191020_221504.jpg

I used this thread i cant see to now find to figure out the gen 2 door panel removal - but its simply pry out the covers at the pull handle and the lever handle - 3 bolts total - all 7mm heads.

-J

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These pics now show the panel pulled back and the A23D 10 pin connector cut at terminal pin 1:

20191020_221508.jpg
20191020_221519.jpg
20191020_221626.jpg
20191020_221653.jpg

done and done!

-J

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disabled the seat belt chime noise by purchasing seat belt extenders on amazon and now I need to do the 3 honk - fob proximity alert. I have the pdf file that another member made, but im looking for a better way to go about electrically disabling it.

-J

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Definitely ruined it for the next owner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruined it - really? lol, its not like I drove it off a cliff and buffed it out and rubbed some dirt on it....lol.

its super easy to splice a wire back together - which is what I would do if I sold the car. I just got it back in june so it will be a while.

also, its so easy to get to this point, if I had to do it again, it would take a few min total. its a very easy mod for those that are interested in it.

-J

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did consider it but disnt really see a point. I want it off. And as it operates-N.O.- normally open until its closed when the door opens. I figured if i ever want it back to normal I'll splice the wire back. Access to it is very simple.

My LT has drivers side blue accent light too....i want to dissable that too...i forgot to do that when i was there....ill get back into it this weekend.

J

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I did consider it but disnt really see a point. I want it off. And as it operates-N.O.- normally open until its closed when the door opens. I figured if i ever want it back to normal I'll splice the wire back. Access to it is very simple.

My LT has drivers side blue accent light too....i want to dissable that too...i forgot to do that when i was there....ill get back into it this weekend.

J
Couple of drawbacks to doing this on my Gen1 that made me insert a toggle switch in order to defeat incessant door open chime(s):

Auto-lock no longer works since the BCM no longer detects the driver's door opening then closing
Although the Gen1 turned OFF, the stereo will continue playing and accessory voltage will still be avail for 10min till it shuts completely off since the BCM detecting the driver's door opening is what normally accomplishes this
If open the driver's door to get in but want to throw something into the back seat, the passenger's side or any other door won't unlock with the door handle button. You have to either use the keyfob, reach in from the front or push the unlock button from the console in order to unlock since again the BCM didn't detect the driver's door as being opened

Probably forgetting a couple other quirks if this specific wire is cut...unsure if it behaves similarly on the Gen2

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't noticed those - only one I have is that car display doesn't come on until you get in and turn the car on since it doesn't know the door opened.

im not sure about auto lock, Im guessing that's a feature I don't use - I currently use fob for everything so I don't see those as an issue - not sure if my gen2 has that or not. ill check and report back.

I believe the constant beep was coming from the drivers door speaker - and like I mentioned above one of my original thoughts was to wire up a relay to cut power to the speaker so the beep would be gone, but all other features would remain, but so far I don't see a loss that I want to take time to install that at the moment.

right now the focus is for next - the triple honk is a big deal now - I need to get that turned off as getting up 5am and having the car honk so early in the morning I'm sure is not making my neighbors happy, etc.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can Anyone confirm that when the drivers door is open that it's the drivers door speaker that is beeping? and that it is ONLY the drivers door beeping? can anyone confirm.

if so, I think I figured out by reviewing the wiring diagrams in the FSM on how to wire up replay to make everything work minus beeping...its a lot more work and might not be worth it to some (like myself) but I don't mind explaining and providing instruction for those that care.

-J

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,415 Posts
Can Anyone confirm that when the drivers door is open that it's the drivers door speaker that is beeping? and that it is ONLY the drivers door beeping?
In the Gen1, the chime comes from the driver's door speaker. However, I can't be 100% certain that there isn't also sound coming from the tweeter on the driver's A pillar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked. Yes, only the door speaker. Tweeter does not appear to chime either.
thank you for checking!

so in all honesty, the next easiest solution over cutting the wire (which takes a few mins) - the next easiest way is to simply route a push button switch in line with one of the power speaker wires of the door speaker.

I was looking at the gap between the door and the dash console and there is a good 3/8 to 1/2 inch gap if you shine a flash light in that spot - you can see a no mans land void is created back in there when the door is closed and that would be a perfect spot to make a switch and mount so easy.

if its a monetary SPST NC push button "press to be OPEN switch" - normally closed then it will work just fine. when the door is closed, thus causing the button to be pressed the speaker will work on all functions, radio, etc., but the moment the door is open the switch depresses and then becomes OPEN and cuts power to the speaker stopping the bell.

search online for SPST NC switch and you can see amazon sells a bunch that would work... like this- https://www.amazon.com/Femitu-Button-Switch-Momentary-Off-Normally/dp/B006M4XL7C/ref=pd_sbs_328_2/137-9697407-4515638?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006M4XL7C&pd_rd_r=698128eb-5c17-4e57-84f9-7ca6657ebd70&pd_rd_w=rUnMF&pd_rd_wg=6l8w8&pf_rd_p=52b7592c-2dc9-4ac6-84d4-4bda6360045e&pf_rd_r=85G4AZPC8HS3DK8FFG4F&psc=1&refRID=85G4AZPC8HS3DK8FFG4F

or even look on ebay and search - Just like most cars use "door jamb - DOME LIGHT" switches and you will see automotive switches that press when the door is open/closed. like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-Interior-Door-Jamb-Dome-Light-Switch-94-97-Chevrolet-GMC-15652865/321008502006?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=60695&meid=2493944fb9bd464883d5b396ac4c8b10&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=132914647488&itm=321008502006&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

aside from that the harder way would be to trigger an auto relay to cut power to the speaker when A23D terminal 1 is triggered:
like this - https://www.amazon.com/ARTGEAR-Harness-Color-Labeled-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B078T8CMF6/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=relay&qid=1571925249&s=automotive&sr=1-18

-J

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 and this is my third Volt (2011 and 2016). This chiming has been driving me mad. It's really loud and it doesn't stop when I push the button to turn on the car, or when I close the driver's door. There's no benefit to the chiming when the car is on and the driver's door is closed. I had planned to go to the dealer to ask them to turn it off. From reading the posts in this thread, I suppose the dealer is going to tell me it can't be turned off. I don't plan to cut wires or install switches, and I can't imagine living with this. Is there another solution? When I get in the car with a passenger, the chime is so loud that I have to wait until the chiming is done to speak.
The other problem I'm having is that the car makes a very short, funny sound when I sit down in the driver's seat, before I turn on the car. My 2011 and my 2016 didn't do that. The driver's seat in the Volt is a bit low, and I feel like the car is telling me to lose some weight and stop plopping down into the seat so hard.
I was also having a problem with my brakes making a strange noice, but that seems to have stopped.
I've really enjoyed reading this forum since I registered on November 18, 2013. Thank you all for your insight and experience and technical advice and sense of humor.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
You can adjust the volume of the vehicle chime but you can't turn it off. If the vehicle is chiming then it thinks a door is not fully closed or possibly the hatch is not fully closed. If you don't wear your seat belt the Volt will chime a number of times as a reminder when you start the car and continue chiming after a minute as you drive.

Another thing to check is if you have placed something in the unoccupied front passenger seat. A book might not set off the seat belt sensor while a cell phone, laptop or tablet computer might set off the seat belt sensor as this sensor uses measured capacitance to determine if someone is sitting in the seat (don't ask me how it does this, it just does.)

The hatch of the Volt has two rubber stops that can be adjusted so the hatch closes relatively easily without having to slam it down.

The stupid simple method (that I like to use) is to open any door or crack any window part way open, then let the hatch drop from about 10 -12 inches and it will fully close every time unless something is in the way.

To reliably close the hatch with all doors and windows closed open the hatch and slowly adjust the rubber stops; turn each stop clockwise 1/2 turn at a time and close the hatch applying a moderate downward force with your arm. When the stops are properly adjusted the Volt's hatch will close without requiring excessive force. If you turn the stops too far the hatch may rattle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2019 and this is my third Volt (2011 and 2016). This chiming has been driving me mad. It's really loud and it doesn't stop when I push the button to turn on the car, or when I close the driver's door. There's no benefit to the chiming when the car is on and the driver's door is closed. I had planned to go to the dealer to ask them to turn it off. From reading the posts in this thread, I suppose the dealer is going to tell me it can't be turned off. I don't plan to cut wires or install switches, and I can't imagine living with this. Is there another solution? When I get in the car with a passenger, the chime is so loud that I have to wait until the chiming is done to speak.
The other problem I'm having is that the car makes a very short, funny sound when I sit down in the driver's seat, before I turn on the car. My 2011 and my 2016 didn't do that. The driver's seat in the Volt is a bit low, and I feel like the car is telling me to lose some weight and stop plopping down into the seat so hard.
I was also having a problem with my brakes making a strange noice, but that seems to have stopped.
I've really enjoyed reading this forum since I registered on November 18, 2013. Thank you all for your insight and experience and technical advice and sense of humor.
Venice,

- Correct, the dealer doesn't have an option to turn off any of the chimes...

- Why cant you cut wires or switches? :confused:- if its a capability thing, its actually very easy to do and I think anyone with little mechanical knowledge can accomplish this mod -- especially "If you cant imagine living with this" - it seems like all the chimes seem to bother you just as much as it did for me....

-- if it is a mechanical capability thing then I would recommend going to any stereo installation mom and pop shop vs a grease monkey mechanic and showing them this thread and images as a shop that deals with interior panel removal like a stereo shop would most likely be your best bet for a mod like this.....I bet you can negotiate a typical half our labor charge as usually shops have labor minimums....call around and discuss and find a mechanic to help you.

- is there another solution? sorry buddy, no easy button. is modifying the car so bad? apparently to the first guy who responded "I ruined It" for some future owner despite ME, the "current owners" request......fk me right....?!?! lets worry about some random next guy:confused:....lol idiot.... the fact I tend to keep my cars who the fk cares about the next guy and I would have changed it back if I did sell it..its that easy...!.....

people modify cars all the time....turbo's, suspension, radios, etc and mods like this as well - if you understand anything electrical this doesn't harm the car ONE bit! its a "normally open circuit" to begin with, meaning that when I cut the wire, essentially its now made it permanently "normally open" - and splicing back a wire together is beyond easy to do - you can re-splice with a "butt splice"; there's soldier iron back together", "twist and black tape", "bubble gum, dreams and prayers to electrical gods" would hold this little wire back together again if you wanted.....its beyond simple.

- im just like you, I couldn't stand the chime sound and now that I have eliminated most of the chimes I hear daily on this car im so much happier....the passenger door chimes ring 4 times then stop as they are getting in - and trust me 4 is enough, I swear if it was 5 chimes I probably would be disabling those as well.....so far I can live with it....

in the end, I have provided a few options and by searching on this forum and everywhere else online I didn't find anything of anyone offering a solution to the door chime so I had to research the factory service manual and figure out options on my own....maybe its a comfort thing as I have been modifying cars heavily for years and I must say this is of the most simplest mods I have ever done out there....I can understand some people aren't comfortable cutting a wire - god forbid! lol..... I don't know man, if its driving you "mad" and you "cant imagine living with it" then how much is that worth to you?!? :confused: I guess maybe in reality despite what you wrote your more use to it than you think as your on your third chime box....but if it really does bother you then perform the mod.....far as I can see, no one else has offered a solution......meh...:p

I) Door chime disable:

1. cut wire.
2. install momentary NC switch at unseen section of door jamb to stop door speaker
3. install relay internal to door panel to stop door speaker (no switch option)

II) seat belt chime:

1. buy short seat belt extenders - seat belt extenders are always installed, no more seat belt chime - (I am not advocated to not wear seat belts, I always wear my seat belt, im providing an obvious solution to chime noise delete).

III) 3 honk proximity key fob sound:

1. there is another thread that covers this where a guy emails you a pdf copy of his files of how he "cut a wire" and "installed a switch" -- oh blasphemy...save the wires....lol...

Thanks
-J

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Honda Element started not recognizing that the seat belt was plugged it. It drove me crazy, so I looked under the seat and there was an electrical plastic connector. I unplugged that and the seat belt alarm never went off again. I just looked under the seat in my Volt and saw a similar yellow plastic connector. I am sure unplugging this will eliminate the chime and dashboard light. The only drawback that I can think of would be in a fancier Volt than mine, I assume this would eliminate all electricity to the seat including heat and the seat adjuster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Honda Element started not recognizing that the seat belt was plugged it. It drove me crazy, so I looked under the seat and there was an electrical plastic connector. I unplugged that and the seat belt alarm never went off again. I just looked under the seat in my Volt and saw a similar yellow plastic connector. I am sure unplugging this will eliminate the chime and dashboard light. The only drawback that I can think of would be in a fancier Volt than mine, I assume this would eliminate all electricity to the seat including heat and the seat adjuster.
It also disables the airbag located in the side of the seat back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I) Door chime disable:

2. install momentary NC switch at unseen section of door jamb to stop door speaker.

I did option 2 after all...i reconnected the option 1 wire and then I mounted a switch in the door jam. I did learn that the chine is from both the upper drivers side tweeter and the door speaker!!

So I unplugged the tweeter all together..and routed the switch to only the door speaker.

Easy mod and door speaker works just fine when door is closed if you have music on....i tested it. I never listen to music/radio....but its functional now with this mod.

Tweeter I may add a switch but no rush at this time.

J

1 - 20 of 24 Posts