GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the long title - hoping this will make it easier to search as others begin to dig into what to expect from the 2016+ on longer trips. Return Trip - Home.jpg Return Trip - Two Thirds.jpg Trip To - Half Way.jpg Trip To - One Third.jpg Trip To - There.jpg

After reading Wayne's write-up about his experience with the Gen2, I didn't have very high expectations about what should be anticipated on a long trip. After this past weekend, I can only assume the odds were stacked against him as his hypermiling reputation precedes him.

Some pictures are attached. Trip was from Morgantown, WV to Derby, Vt and back. Speeds from 55-65. As the temperatures declined, MPG dropped precipitously. Unfortunately both temperature drops coincided with rather notable increases in elevation change (flatter territory to much more varied terrain), so it's hard to conclude that the lower temps have that severe of an effect on highway mileage.

As impressed as I was with the CS mileage performance (a dramatic improvement over the Gen1), I'm more impressed with the EV range at highway speeds. Each full charge to start a trip yielded over 68 miles, with the trip out producing over 69.5. Given that both trips were overnight, I was able to utilize charging stations along the route as rest stops and pick up a full charge while recharging my own battery.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Your EV mileage and ICE mileage are excellent. I can't get anywhere near those. If I'm lucky, at highway speeds, I can go 50 miles on EV, where I can easily go 65 miles on non-highway roads. On ICE, I usually save that for the highways, and 40 to 42mpg seems to be my norm, at 70mph.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This more like what I envision when 'Volting'. Not the MM thing.

ELR has even worse efficiency than Gen1 Volt, but, I still like her fine! Recent trip using only gas I got 27.41, 27.44 and 27.81mpg on consecutive tanks of gas. Measured the old-fashioned way. Gas in vs miles driven.

Not bad for 80mph!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts