GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried looking around, but cant really find what I'm needing. I just got a 2018 chevy volt (love it) and I can charge at home at 8 or 12 amps (which takes forever, but I still love it) The question is by my work we have a free 240 charger. I figured it would be fast. I plugged it in this morning with about 10 miles of ev left and it says it will be done around 12:30. If it just takes that long its fine, I just want to make sure its not a setting or something I'm doing weird. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I've tried looking around, but cant really find what I'm needing. I just got a 2018 chevy volt (love it) and I can charge at home at 8 or 12 amps (which takes forever, but I still love it) The question is by my work we have a free 240 charger. I figured it would be fast. I plugged it in this morning with about 10 miles of ev left and it says it will be done around 12:30. If it just takes that long its fine, I just want to make sure its not a setting or something I'm doing weird. Thanks in advance for any help.
No, there is nothing you can set when using a Level 2 EVSE such as at your workplace. Your 2018 Volt will charge at the maximum power (volts and amps) that the EVSE can provide up to the Volt's maximum power draw. For your 2018 Volt that is 240V at 16 amps however most commercial power is 208V and not 240V so your workplace charging will be at 208V at 16 amps.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I thought the normal, expected charge time for a 2018 Chevy Volt at 240 Volts from empty is 4.5 hours. I don't know what time you plugged in at work, but if it was around 8:30 am or so, that would make your expected charge completion time in line with the specs. As noted above, your charge station is likely 208V, so it will be a little slower than the rating for 240V.

It is possible you were expecting a 2.3 hour charge time, however, it is my understanding that applies only to the 2019 model year which got a higher power charger. Not sure what you might have been told by a salesman about your 2018. Sometimes we think we heard a salesman say something that later doesn't seem quite right.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I thought the normal, expected charge time for a 2018 Chevy Volt at 240 Volts from empty is 4.5 hours. I don't know what time you plugged in at work, but if it was around 8:30 am or so, that would make your expected charge completion time in line with the specs. As noted above, your charge station is likely 208V, so it will be a little slower than the rating for 240V.

It is possible you were expecting a 2.3 hour charge time, however, it is my understanding that applies only to the 2019 model year which got a higher power charger. Not sure what you might have been told by a salesman about your 2018. Sometimes we think we heard a salesman say something that later doesn't seem quite right.
Commercial power usually involves a 3-phase supply so the voltage is 208V, not 240V as in residential power. So 13% lower voltage than 240V, less power and a slightly longer charge time (~10% - 15% longer) than charging at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was expecting faster, but only because I assumed so. As it is now it should be a little more than 4 hours at that charger with around 10 ev miles left. Which means around lunchtime it will be finished everyday and I'm more than happy with that. Thanks everyone for the replies and the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any information in car as to what speed your charging at. Or is the estimated time to full charge the only in car information.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Is there any information in car as to what speed your charging at. Or is the estimated time to full charge the only in car information.
Some EVSE will display the power in kW that is being provided to the vehicle while charging. Typically Level 2, Level 3 (ChAdeMo/CCS) commercial EVSE will display the power being provided, how long the vehicle has been charging. Some EVSE, such as Juicebox can provide a vehicle charging graph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh awesome, but the car will still only say its charging and give an estimated time then right? I'm going to use the torque app and see what info I can get using my obd2 as far as charging goes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You can set your home to charge at 12amp/120v. And, you could install a 240v outlet. Of course, free at work is nice!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
oh awesome, but the car will still only say its charging and give an estimated time then right? I'm going to use the torque app and see what info I can get using my obd2 as far as charging goes.
That's right. If you are charging using Level 1 at 8 amp setting this is ~1kw; at the 12 amp setting this is ~1.4kw. When you are charging using level 2 the 2018 Volt will charge at 240V and 16 amps, this is ~3.6kW.

There is not much to observe while the Volt is charging. The charging voltage and current will ramp up during the first 30 seconds of charging, then taper down during the final 20 minutes of charging until charging is completed.

Here is the 2019 Volt (equipped with the optional 7.2kW on-board charger) charging graph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts