GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd change my cabin air filter for the first time. Went to NAPA and they had one in stock; $23! Ouch!

I found a video on YouTube, very helpful. You pull the plastic cover off the right side of the glove box, it covers one of the screws. The screws are all 7mm, you need a socket and some extensions and the 1/4 inch ratchet.

Once the screws are out the entire glove box comes out. Right in front of you is the cover that is over the filter. There is a plastic latch on each side, pull off the cover and you'll see the filter. The air flow is down so install the new filter with the arrows down.

It's really not that hard, just watch the video first. Make sure it's the Gen 2 video.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snic, before I posted yesterday I did search for previous threads on cabin filters and specifically Gen 2 cabin filters. There were a million pages of returns and I went through 2 or 3 pages and found lots on Gen 1 but none on Gen 2 cabin filters. Obviously I didn't wade through the pages far enough but at some point I gave up and started my own thread on the subject.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I don't have a problem with extra threads - I just thought I'd post the links to prior threads so that anyone interested in figuring out how to change the filter themselves would have an easier time finding the relevant posts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Due to the CA fires I had to drive through some smoky territory. Could not smell smoke inside the car. Either my sense of smell is going or the NAPA filter which employs activated charcoal within did a great job. The replacement filter was identical to the OEM, so I suspect that the same Chinese factory is making the filter for a lot of brands.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought I'd change my cabin air filter for the first time. Went to NAPA and they had one in stock; $23!
Check your owners manual. You'll find that you are way early on the maintenance schedule for this and are most likely throwing that $23 in the trash.

If you wait another few years, until it's really time to change it, that part number should progress along its life cycle and come down in price, also.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check your owners manual. You'll find that you are way early on the maintenance schedule for this and are most likely throwing that $23 in the trash.

If you wait another few years, until it's really time to change it, that part number should progress along its life cycle and come down in price, also.
Wait another few years? Cabin filters in some regions require yearly replacement.:)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
is it the same part as Gen1 and is air flow still about one fan notch slower with the filter in ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not the same part number.
Different sizes.
Click on the top link in Post #2 for Gen 1

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wait another few years? Cabin filters in some regions require yearly replacement.:)

For most people, this won't be the case. But if the OP's vents smell bad, they might go for it.

GM calls for changing ours every 36K miles. (Or going having the dealer "check it out" every 2 years, but... that's going to be crazy-stupid expensive!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought I'd change my cabin air filter for the first time. Went to NAPA and they had one in stock; $23! Ouch!

I found a video on YouTube, very helpful. You pull the plastic cover off the right side of the glove box, it covers one of the screws. The screws are all 7mm, you need a socket and some extensions and the 1/4 inch ratchet.

Once the screws are out the entire glove box comes out. Right in front of you is the cover that is over the filter. There is a plastic latch on each side, pull off the cover and you'll see the filter. The air flow is down so install the new filter with the arrows down.

It's really not that hard, just watch the video first. Make sure it's the Gen 2 video.
Could you link the video you watched?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pretty easy to search for it on YouTube
"volt gen 2 cabin filter replacement"
This brings up two for the Gen 2 filter

·
Registered
130 Posts

What does the manual recommend? Cabin air filters clog up pretty fast around here

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts