GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, my 2017 Gen 2 Volt "Faraday" is in the shop and probably won't be coming home until after the holidays.

My typical day is a 20 mile round-trip commute on local roads such that the only time my engine turns on is for EMM or FMM. It all started when I unplugged from my L2 EVSE to drive to work a few weeks ago. I had 63 miles of range (as usual for this time of year) and drove off. A few miles later, the battery gauge was still at 100% but I now had 0 miles of range and the engine and the Service Engine Soon light turned on. When I got home, I plugged in and it immediately reflected that charging was done. The next day seemed normal and when I attempted to drive to lunch, I put him in gear and the DIC immediately complained telling me "Action Required - Shift to Park", and the car wouldn't go anywhere. Fortunately, I was able to drive home from work that day, but the weirdness continued. A call to Onstar informed me of several error codes related to the battery so I made arrangements to take him in for a service call the next day.

We limped to Chevy on gas and Chevy claimed that there were several software updates related to this type of thing so they applied them, reset the SES light and I was on my way home. The next day, the same scenarios started happening again.

Last Wednesday I brought him in again and this time, I was informed that the Battery Controller has failed and needs to be replaced. At least it's not a full battery replacement, but according to the service department, it's as much work. They still have to drop the batteries, replace parts, reinstall and recalibrate everything. *sigh*

I'm now on 1 full week without my Volt and have been notified that it's probably going to be another 2 weeks - partially since next week is a holiday week.

At least I have a free loaner (a 2018 Malibu with 9 miles on the ODO) but I miss my Volt!

Anyone else with a Gen 2 have a similar issue or is mine totally random and rare?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sorry for your ordeal. Hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

I would insist on a Volt loaner (or a Bolt, even). Or at least gas reimbursement, if it continues to be a Malibu

·
Registered
568 Posts

I would insist on a Volt loaner (or a Bolt, even). Or at least gas reimbursement, if it continues to be a Malibu
hah! that probably wont' happen. My 2017 has been in the shop 3 times so far, (once for almost a month for a failed high voltage fuse) each time I was either in a Cruz or Malibu and GM didn't feel like paying for my gas. I drive 70+ miles a day so it was a kick in the teeth.

It's a special feeling paying almost 40K for a car, and at 4000 miles you get stuck in a gas sucking loaner for a month with GM not wanting to lift a finger to "make it right"

·
Registered
873 Posts
hah! that probably wont' happen. My 2017 has been in the shop 3 times so far, (once for almost a month for a failed high voltage fuse) each time I was either in a Cruz or Malibu and GM didn't feel like paying for my gas. I drive 70+ miles a day so it was a kick in the teeth.

It's a special feeling paying almost 40K for a car, and at 4000 miles you get stuck in a gas sucking loaner for a month with GM not wanting to lift a finger to "make it right"

Yeah, I wouldn't get one's hopes up on that. It really depends on the dealer, but most of them won't even consider gas reimbursement. My dealer only gave me '15 Malibus, mostly base, although the third visit (the 2.5 week one) they thankfully gave me one with power seats and a touch-screen nav system (but the auto start/stop didn't work 90% of the time, so it registered around 19 MPG)

·
Registered
433 Posts
They could have at least hooked you up with a Malibu hybrid. Speaking of Malibu's, how's the interior compared to the Volt. Is the interior cavernous by comparison?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the '15 Equinox and the '15 Spark (with 40k miles), I was happy to get the '18 Malibu (base) as my loaner. Yeah, it would be nice if they offered to reimburse me for gas, but that's not really realistic. As for the Malibu versus the Volt, the Malibu is a bit too large for my tastes. I commute 20 miles round trip to work and mostly just drive for errands on the weekends, so I don't need anything larger than the Volt.

By the way, for all of those "Space Balls" fans - remember the opening scene where they pan down the length of the long starship? That's how i feel every time I walk from the front to the rear of the Malibu - like it goes on forever. At least this one has CarPlay, so I can deal with it being a 100% base model. The auto start/stop is tad jarring, but when engaged, it kinda reminds me of sitting in my Volt at a light ;-)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a little more than 2 weeks in the shop, Faraday (my '17 Volt) came home last night - just in time for Thanksgiving. While the paperwork wasn't ready and it was just before the repair shop closed for the night, the service rep did confirm that the battery controller failed and was replaced. All seems ok for now. I'll comb the paperwork when it arrives to see what else they fixed/replaced, if anything. FWIW, he said that they had seen a few cases like this in the Gen 1 Volt, but mine was the first Gen 2 they had seen with this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts