GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be brief.

My Gen 2 is a loaded kenetic blue with the tan/black two tone interior. I think this is the ideal exterior color and interior combo.

I've used 9 gallons.

The EV range has been 65-70 miles with normal driving the past 3 months since its been warm in New England.
This was the biggest surprise. Gen 1 didn't exceed the EPA range by as much percentage when warm.

As the one year mark comes in November I'll get the squeaky pedal fixed. I noticed the pedal sound after reading it here.

As in my Gen 1, I got the custom Volt logo Luxe floor mats, the Gen 2 version of the mats came out recently and are just as thick and high quality.

I don't bother putting it in sport because the wheels already spin off the line and I don't notice any difference in sport mode (much more pronounced in Gen 1). Anyone notice a difference when in sport mode?

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
122 Posts
I´ll buy a Gen 2 the minute they make a 6.6kw+ charger available. Until then, there isn't really an incentive to trade in my loaded Gen 1. The idea of 60 miles of range and 2 hour charge time would negate the need for a second pure BEV.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Great report. I have 6K miles on my 2016 and love it. I'm getting 70 miles per charge and around 5 miles per KwH. As much as I love my 215 and the two Volts that preceded it the 2016 is better in every way.

Aside from the increased range and motor efficiency the biggest improvement is the gas engine. I cannot feel or hear it in the car. And when it ran EMM the other morning, when I got out to get the mail it was almost inaudible, even outside. Much smoother and quieter than the earlier engines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Funny you should post this.. mine just hit 10k this weekend at about 90% electric
Basic LT version. Love the grey color.
Issues (still to fix)
1) squeaky brake pedal
2) squeaky windows when they roll down (sometimes)
3) trunk and hood seem to require more "slamming" than expected to close - not sure this is fixable.
4) rattle from driver's side dash speaker (I think)

However, the car has been amazing, and I have transported four adults and an infant (in the center w/carseat) often.
Android Auto has been an excellent addition.
Many people have commented how great it looks, inside and out.
My head fits (barely) in the back of the Volt. It hits the glass in a Tesla model S.
I get 45-55 miles of range. My driving has lots of 70 mph freeways.

Minor gripes:
1) visibility stinks
2) false driver's pedal is too close to driver
3) no homelink
4) "heft" definitely felt in the corners
5) shifter is ridiculous - should have just been a knob, tiny lever, or something. It blocks access to the storage in front of it.
6) no roof rack system (yet)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I only had 3200 miles on my 2017 -- and it's been sitting in the shop for amost 2 weeks with a non working AC (necessary in TX where it's been 103F)

I love the car - and miss it dearly. A few of the issues previously mentioned, I do agree it seems overly difficult to 100% close the hatch. I love the mini "handle" on the inside to pull down the hatch, but 80% of the time, I have to push down after it slams just to make sure it latches. This could me eased if the car wasn't 100% air tight. Basically slamming down the hatch is met with a cushion of air that makes it harder to close.

I like the shifter because it gives me somwhere to rest my hands as I drive, but it does block a good deal of access to the center console USB ports.

I had a rattle on the driver side seat adjustment levers, hopefully will be fixed since I dropped it off at the dealer a while ago for non working AC.

I commute about 70 miles a day, and 75% of that is all electric. Since it's been in the shop waiting on a back ordered fuse for almost 2 weeks, it's crazy how much the volt spoiled me in such a short amount of time. I miss the whisper quiet performance, and only having to go to a gas station once a month vs twice a week in a regular car.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We have a 2016 Volt LTZ, traded our 2014 Volt for it. 3,000 miles on our 2016 and right now the fully charged battery is reading 70 miles of range. Gas only mpg is noticeably better than our 2014 Volt that required premium gas. The 2016 uses good old 87 octane and our round trip down the coast was 244.1 miles. My wife and I were both comfortable and more so in our 2016 as compared to our old 2014 Volt.

Gas only mpg was 48.7 mpg according to the dash, however when I filled up and divided miles by gallons used it came out to
slightly over 50 mpg. It appears the dash is under reading a little, just the opposite of our 2010 Prius which is always off 3-4 mpg over reading on the dash compared to calculated.

It actually cost less to drive the 2016 Volt on this trip than I would our 2010 Prius based on gas only used in the Prius of course, and the price of gas and electricity in the Volt.

In my opinion the Volt is the least understood car today.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can adjust the trunk shocks to make the trunk close easier....
It's been pointed out in another thread that the air-tight nature of the 2017 Volt requires a harder close. With an open door or window, the hatch closes more easily. I found this is something you get used to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I´ll buy a Gen 2 the minute they make a 6.6kw+ charger available. Until then, there isn't really an incentive to trade in my loaded Gen 1. The idea of 60 miles of range and 2 hour charge time would negate the need for a second pure BEV.
Interesting.. As I'm just in the process of switching from a 60 mile BEV with 30 minute charging (aged Leaf with DCQC) to the Volt.

At home I'm using the stock EVSE on 240V (i.e. 12A) rather than my old 16A setup just because the charge speed at home doesn't matter and the location of the charge port made it easier to plug in that way.

I work with a company that adds DCQC capability to cars that don't have it (Toyota RAV4-EV, Tesla Roadster) but in thinking of this I doubt I'd pursue such a thing for the Volt. The whole reason I have the Volt is to have the gas engine for the occasional longer trip. I can't imagine myself spending 30 minutes and $5 to get 50 more miles when I could do the same with $3 of gas in a few minutes.

While visiting a national park this last weekend they had L2 EVSEs and for a moment I though it would be cool to use as we'd be there for a good chunk of the day. But the park service wanted $5 for 3 days of unlimited use.. I had been in mountain mode and could probably have only soaked up 10kWh or so.. Also we'd only be at that location for one day. I decided not to pay the $5 for the equivalence of a gallon of gasoline. That's the whole reason I got the Volt in the first place (as compared to a longer range EV).

P.S. On the return from Vegas to SoCal I had zero charge (i.e., not mountain mode) and the car performed fine. I don't think you need mountain mode on a gen2 unless you really want to climb steep grades at really high (70mph+) speeds.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's been pointed out in another thread that the air-tight nature of the 2017 Volt requires a harder close. With an open door or window, the hatch closes more easily. I found this is something you get used to.
On my 2016, the hatch closes easily. In fact, I only take it to the point where gravity drops it down and it shuts on its own.

You can adjust the trunk shocks to make the trunk close easier....
Yep, i remember the thread as well where forum members suggests adjust those by twisting them but I dont know if works or improves the situation at all. Maybe some others can chime in.

Also, thanks for the update. My 2016 has 15k on it and its been rock solid. Still enjoy driving it everyday. Only small gripe I have is the rear comfort is a little tight for my teenage sons for longer trips 2+ hours, but they are cool with shorter 30-60 minute trips. But I knew this when i bought the volt and it is mostly a commuter vehicle for only me, so I'm cool with it. The other minor gripe is the Android Auto is a little finicky about recognizing my phone even with my thick stock cable that came with Galaxy S5. Maybe 10% of the time it doesn't connect so i restart my phone and it typically solves the problem. Not sure if that it is the Volts fault or not but regardless its a bit annoying. Other than that, I'm very happy with it as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll be brief.

My Gen 2 is a loaded kenetic blue with the tan/black two tone interior. I think this is the ideal exterior color and interior combo.
MrEnergyCzar
I am about 8700 on my 2017 Kenetic blue, with black interior. Wanted the tan/black, but apparently they dropped that for the 2017s. So far knock on wood, no problems at all. Love the car ! - David

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Some people will, others won't. The Geek's been closing the passenger door and hatch under a wide variety of conditions during the past year and still hasn't gotten it into muscle memory that she doesn't need a full-strength slam to close her door when another is open.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am about 8700 on my 2017 Kenetic blue, with black interior. Wanted the tan/black, but apparently they dropped that for the 2017s. So far knock on wood, no problems at all. Love the car ! - David
The black and tan interior was called "Jet Black - Brandy" No idea why.

Keith

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah. My windows are also squeaky when you roll them down. I'm at 12,600 miles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interesting.. As I'm just in the process of switching from a 60 mile BEV with 30 minute charge...

I work with a company that adds DCQC capability to cars that don't have it (Toyota RAV4-EV, Tesla Roadster)
Ah, the Jesla chargers.

I'm trying to go more electric, not less. With my usage patterns, I routinely travel about 85-110 miles per day. I start with a full charge, and through the day there is interspersed charging totaling about 2 hours.

In my Gen 1 Volt, this usually equals about 65 miles electric and 40 on gasoline. ( I use about a gallon per day)

On a Gen 2 in my usage case, 6.6kw charging, is the difference between burning 1/2 gallon per day or not burning any fuel at all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
5) shifter is ridiculous - should have just been a knob, tiny lever, or something. It blocks access to the storage in front of it.
Please, please, please, Chevy do not do this! My wife has a set of buttons to shift, and we both HATE it. You have to look down to see what gear you're in. Are you in drive? Park? Who knows? At least with a gear shift lever this substantial, you push it into gear and KNOW it's in gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please, please, please, Chevy do not do this! My wife has a set of buttons to shift, and we both HATE it. You have to look down to see what gear you're in. Are you in drive? Park? Who knows? At least with a gear shift lever this substantial, you push it into gear and KNOW it's in gear.
10K miles on my 2016, almost same issues and experiences as others. How many KWh do people generally get from full charge?

I like the tactile feedback of the shifter, but it is rather large and clunky for something that is just toggling some digital setting. I really don't like the button to shift modes, I would have liked an easier way to shift between "hold" and "normal" which is something I do pretty much every trip (I force my car to use hold mode on high speed highway miles, saving EV miles for back roads).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts