GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to having the wind buffeting kit installed. 2012 Volt w/59K miles. Dealer covered the cost :)
PI0642C is the code for the current kit.

The kit consisted of upper (paint to match) and lower mirror covers & the black applique that mounts to the door next to the mirror.

Tested the fix on the way home, HUGE improvment. Now it's like a normal car with all four windows down at speed. Able to drop both back windows down and leave the front up without the horrific noise.

2012 Chevrolet Volt by https://www.flickr.com/photos/michiganclassics/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice! My dealer currently has the parts out for painting. I am excited to get these installed as the warmer weather arrives.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I found that the only time this buffeting kit doesn't work is if you have a stiff side wind that counters the effect of the deflector. But other than that, it works great most of the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could you please provide a picture from above on the mirror ?
I would like to replicate the "bulge" on my 3-D printer to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to replicate the "bulge" on my 3-D printer to see if it makes any difference.
I refuse to provide a picture of a buldge to a random person on the internet.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me see what I can do over the weekend ;)

Don't forget about the black applique opposite the mirror.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is the kit free for the asking at the dealer?

It is not standard due to making more drag and less efficient movement through the air. With them on is there any noticeable loss of range? Doesn't seem there would be but there was a reason not to put them on.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the kit free for the asking at the dealer?

It is not standard due to making more drag and less efficient movement through the air. With them on is there any noticeable loss of range? Doesn't seem there would be but there was a reason not to put them on.
It's my understanding it is dealer discretion. GM doesn't pay the dealers very well for this fix.

I'd bed the reason it's not standard is due to cost. I have no doubt any 'drag' or 'loss of range' is negligible at best.

While it looks a little goofy, the improvement is WELL worth it to me. I finally had a chance to drive with all four windows down earlier this week during my commute home. The sound was horrific. It was even horrible when I reviewed the dashcam video later that night.

This wind issue is certainly not limited to the Volt, but I am very glad they have this fix out there for sure.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
When the dealer installed my kit, I only got the deflectors on the door side, not the mirror caps. I can report that it works. I don't know anyone with a volt near me with the full setup so that I can compare my ride with theirs, but if you are experimenting, I'd say do the deflectors first before the mirror caps.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I had always wondered what it looked like.

Thanks for the nice photos!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I asked my dealer for the llninja treatment but the guy wouldn't do it. All or nothing. Allegedly they return the old parts to GM to prove the job got done. I've also yapped at him to paint the caps black and been refused. Someone had them done in black and it looked good that way. They ordered the kit for my new 15 a couple of weeks ago and I requested black paint again. I've got an appointment to have it installed next week. We'll see if he got it done this time. Of course for the 14, they painted the caps pearl white instead of summit white, so you never know what is going to happen... And the tech that installed them never noticed the different color paint. Or maybe he did and they wanted to see of I would notice or not....

NO noticeable effect on range or mileage. Despite the dire warnings of gloom and doom in the instructions for the kit and service bulletin, nothing changed except that the car stopped trying to knock my teeth out when I rolled down the window.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I asked my dealer for the llninja treatment but the guy wouldn't do it. All or nothing. Allegedly they return the old parts to GM to prove the job got done. I've also yapped at him to paint the caps black and been refused. Someone had them done in black and it looked good that way. They ordered the kit for my new 15 a couple of weeks ago and I requested black paint again. I've got an appointment to have it installed next week. We'll see if he got it done this time. Of course for the 14, they painted the caps pearl white instead of summit white, so you never know what is going to happen... And the tech that installed them never noticed the different color paint. Or maybe he did and they wanted to see of I would notice or not....

NO noticeable effect on range or mileage. Despite the dire warnings of gloom and doom in the instructions for the kit and service bulletin, nothing changed except that the car stopped trying to knock my teeth out when I rolled down the window.
They do need to return the 'defective' parts as part of a required process.
I imagine a cooperative dealer would paint them any color you request, but I'm not sure if that also falls under the same 'warranty' restrictions.

I'm glad you had it done.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does the buffet kit reduce wind noise with the windows up any? I get a lot of whistle from the mirror
Windows down all the way or partially down, this kit fixes the buffeting issue.
I haven't experienced a whistling sound personally. Do you have the plastic drip rail deflectors by chance?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wonder if I can get my dealer to cover this for free on mine... It has been nice here this week and has annoyed me that I cannot roll my windows down due to the noise!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wind buffeting kit will be installed next Saturday, no cost to me. Would have been done a lot sooner but a misread of the VIN made the bodyshop paint the covers the wrong color. Oh well it has been the wrong weather for driving with windows down anyway.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts

When I got my caps, I first complained because it wasn't what I've seen other senior get, but it was what came and they actually painted new caps (identical to my old ones) and slapped them on. If you want black, I'd say just plastidip them. It works great and if you decide you don't like them, peel them off to get back to the original paint.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Since I don't drive with the windows down on my MY16, so wondering if any gen2 owners have reported this to be an issue. If so, is there a similar fix?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts