GM Volt Forum banner

Which of your Volt generations do you like better?

• I like our gen-1 Volt better

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I like our gen-2 Volt better

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • I like our two Volt generations equally

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I am still undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing from people who have owned or leased BOTH generation of Volts. How do you like your gen-2 Volt compared to your gen-1 Volt? Which do you like better and why?

Sad to see our 2014 Volt go in February when the lease is up. We'll have to decide which generation Volt to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gen1 was a great car. Gen2 is better. Thirty percent better EV range. A quieter, more economical engine. Real HVAC controls. Better instrumentation. Backup camera. CarPlay. Kinetic Blue!
Just got back from a 500 mile weekend trip. Three good sized men and my right-sized wife. Luggage for all four plus the add-on spare tire in the back. Not unpleasant. Fifty-one MPG. Four and a half gallons of gas each way. Front seats put forward a couple inches and slouch down a bit in the back. About what you deal with on an airplane.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Not exactly what you asked for, but I traded my 2012 for a 2015 after test driving a 2016. I found the visibility through the rear window of the G2 much too limited. If/when the full-time rear camera of the Bolt EV is made available in the G2 I might then reconsider.

KNS

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good point on rear vision on the gen 2. I also like the glove box on the gen 1 better. Other than that, the gen 2 is better in every way.

I love my gen 1 Volt though. It gets me everywhere on electric, only using gas for out of town trips.

GSP

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Who would really admit they made a bad choice by leaving the Gen 1 for the Gen 2? Who do you love more, your first wife or your second? :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
We're talking more about facts here than emotion!

As others have stated, although my gen 1 Volt was a fine car, I find the gen 2 version is better in pretty much every way. It has better performance, much longer battery range, better gas-only mileage, it’s much quieter when the gas engine is running, has better interior materials with better displays and controls layout, much better rear-view camera, many more safety options, etc. The side mirrors produce less wind noise, the air dam is placed further back and no longer scrapes all the time and the hatch light is much better placed (and brighter, if you replace it with an inexpensive LED alternative!). I also prefer the external styling of the car over the gen 1.

As for rear vision, it’s true that the lower rear-view window is gone but I find that, unless you want to read the license plate of the car riding your bumper, it really isn’t much worse than the gen 1 Volt. And the view around the ‘A’ pillar at the front is definitely an improvement over the gen 1 version. Like others, I was a bit perturbed when I found that gen 2 Volt didn’t have Homelink, but find it no big deal. I simply removed the clip from my old remote and keep it in the area in front of the shift lever. Now I just reach down rather than up to open my garage door.

In short, I'm struggling here to find any feature I really prefer more in my gen 1 Volt than my gen 2.

·
Registered
208 Posts
maybe it's just me,but my 2015 volt is the best car I've ever owned,bar none
it has the largest battery of any gen1 volt at 17.1 kwh 360 volt lithium ion
maybe it is because I live in florida,but t get between 53-56 ev miles per full charge using 10.6 kwh-10.9kwh
also I have the added satisfaction of 5 years of perfected technology giving me a flawless ride
living in florida we have yet seen a 2017 early release volt,and we didn't get a 2016 volt either.
I hope everyone enjoy's the gen2 volt,but I am keeping my gen1 volt forever
remember: if it ain't broke,don't fix it!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
You don't specify the trim levels which may make a difference. We had a highly optioned 14 premier for a year and a month ago traded it on highly optioned 17 premier. The 14 was a great vehicle but the 17 is better for us in virtually every way. And especially in the wide array of available safety/driver assist features including ACC. These plus the instrument panel/Central stack controls revision make the 17 the outstanding choice, but then there is the EV range, the total range, the gas MPG, the handling, the performance all of which favor the 17.

I've even had a couple of friends admire its styling, which never happened with the Gen 1.

I didn't think twice about trading once I'd driven a 16 and considered all the safety/assist features.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who would really admit they made a bad choice by leaving the Gen 1 for the Gen 2? Who do you love more, your first wife or your second? :)
Well, I've only had one Volt and one wife so far. The wife is willing to stick around. But the Volt made me sign a prenuptial agreement that she could leave after 3 years.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gen1 was a great car. Gen2 is better. Thirty percent better EV range. A quieter, more economical engine. Real HVAC controls. Better instrumentation. Backup camera. CarPlay. Kinetic Blue!
Just got back from a 500 mile weekend trip. Three good sized men and my right-sized wife. Luggage for all four plus the add-on spare tire in the back. Not unpleasant. Fifty-one MPG. Four and a half gallons of gas each way. Front seats put forward a couple inches and slouch down a bit in the back. About what you deal with on an airplane.
Backup camera and Android Auto are the two most compelling upgrades over our base 2014 Volt. The other gen-2 aspects sound nice as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not exactly what you asked for, but I traded my 2012 for a 2015 after test driving a 2016. I found the visibility through the rear window of the G2 much too limited.
Thanks. Decreased rear visibility might be a gen-2 show-stopper for us as well. I'll be sure to focus on that aspect when I test drive gen-2.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We traded in our 2014 Volt for our new 2016 Volt LTZ. The 2014 Volt had 41,000 miles. Electric Range was low to mid 40's in summer and low to mid 30's in winter. Now the 2016, my wife's car, range is consistently 58-61 miles on electric. Don't know about winter yet but I expect mid to high 40's on electric. The gas engine is more efficient and uses 87 octane as well. On gas mid 40's mpg is the norm when I drive, my wife's usually gets low 40's mpg, as she drives with a lot heavier foot than mine. The 2014 Volt required premium gas, though we did use 87 octane. Gas mpg's on the 2014 Volt was high 30's to low 40's fairly consistently. I believe the 2016 Volt there is at least a 10% improvement in gas only mpg's.

Last trip to Longview Washington yesterday, netted nearly 65 miles on electric and 48 mpg just on gas, with me driving and wife as the passenger. Big leap forward with the 2016 Volt over the 2014 Volt. Just wait for the Gen 3 Volt in a few years, that will be a game changer....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the Gen2 Volt better mostly for the increased electric range.

However, the increased reflection in the windshield of the 2017 Volt is annoying (all Volts fully loaded with black interior).

The lack of a garage door opener is not a big deal, although I would prefer one in the 2017 Volt.

My wife liked the seats better for Gen1, but I haven't noticed a difference.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Here's something for the Gen 2 nitpickers: 16/17's don't have the larger storage pocket in the rear doors, just a little tiny area to fit some loose change or something. Gen 1's had a second "door pocket" in addition to the loos change holders you could shove a small book/magazine/water bottles into.

·
Registered
440 Posts
All about the numbers for me. I have lived/worked in the same place with both cars. The Gen II is just a perfect fit for my commute. I am planning on buying a Gen I for my kids to drive to school. Both great cars. Gen II is just a lot better.

My Personal Best:

Miles on tank of fuel: My Gen I: 2347; Gen II: 7870
Miles driven w/o gas: My Gen I: 190; Gen II: 2549 and still climbing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I have to admit I'm surprised there aren't more respondents who prefer gen-1, or at least view gen-1 as being equally satisfying. I was leaning toward purchasing another gen-1 before I started this poll - largely because our gen-1 is the best car we have ever enjoyed over the decades.

Now I think we'll take a serious look at gen-2 thanks to these poll results...

·
Registered
968 Posts
As for rear vision, its true that the lower rear-view window is gone but I find that, unless you want to read the license plate of the car riding your bumper, it really isn't much worse than the gen 1 Volt. And the view around the A-pillar at the front is definitely an improvement over the gen 1 version.
I'll add that the rear A-pillars are also very similar. I test drove a 2015 before buying a 2016 and the rear A-pillar (blind zone) is equally bad in both of these compact vehicles due to its aerodynamic shape which is why i opted for the drivers confence package with blind zone alert. The lane keep assist is also nice as it has saved me a number of times from drifting into another lane when distracted. And dont forget about adaptive cruise control if you use the vehicle to commute to work on the freeway, many on this forum are smitten wiith this option.

I have 15000 miles on my G2 volt and love it. It has been rock solid so far. You have lot's of things to consider and I wish you luck in your search.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What we really need is a driver competence package...
:D

I own a Gen I not own a Gen II so I did not vote. I drove the Gen II quite of few occasions, my first impressions were:

The A pillar is less obvious but it still thick thing, I miss the rear lower window, 3/4 view (C pillar) still not good. I love the improved EV range, subtile (less noisy) range extender, the more firm ride stiffness / confort and for sure, the new climate control & the add-on regen steering paddle. On the appearance side, I would like the front of Gen I and back of Gen II.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Whoops, accidentally voted and don't know how to un-vote. Never owned a Gen I but one of the reasons I didn't go used was the exterior styling of the Gen I. It was not to my taste while the Gen II was. Also, the EV range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts