GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a few good threads on replacing the window regulator/motor - including some detailed video. What I can't figure out is exactly what part I need to order for my 2014 Volt. I almost pulled the trigger on Amazon for a Dorman unit (which has a matching OEM # as found on other sites). I've purchased items from GMPartsDirect.com before, so I looked there as well. It was at that site where I saw there were 2 different parts for my car. "1st Design" & "2nd Design", as defined in links below.

I'm looking for my front passenger window. I almost purchased the first one shown below, until I saw the second one. I'm not as brave as some people here - was going to have my mechanic do it. They struggled, as I did, to figure out what the difference was. No clear pictures of 2nd Design OR description. In fact, my mechanical called a local Chevrolet dealer; gave my VIN #, etc. They even asked if my window had 'tabs'. He couldn't explain what that was & my mechanic didn't know either. I've got an email out to GMPartsDirect as well. So we are stumped.

See links / part numbers below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1ST DESIGN (Part #25994200):
gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-window-regulator-25994200/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtZnJvbnQtZG9vciZhPWNoZXZyb2xldCZvPXZvbHQmeT0yMDE0JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTEtNGwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz

2ND DESIGN (Part #23146836):
gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-window-regulator-23146836/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9ZnJvbnQtZG9vciZhPWNoZXZyb2xldCZvPXZvbHQmeT0yMDE0JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTEtNGwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz

Thanks very much,

Joe Hildenbrand
2014 Volt Premier

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I can't speak for the design differences but I actually just replaced my drivers door regulator about a week ago and the process is insanely simple. I think from start to finish it took me 20-30 minutes and that included a short break to grab something to drink.

As for "tabs" on the window, the only thing I can conclude is that they're referring to the pinch points where the regulator attaches to the window perhaps? There are a couple of rubber coated grips at the front and rear of the window that physically attach to the regulator and are pinched down with a bolt rather than the old style where the window had a hole for the regulator to attach to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just went through this little nightmare, so for clarity, some 2014-2015 Volts FRONT passenger side had two possible window regulator designs where the motor connector differs. GM part # 23146836 is only for the motor connector with guide/rail tabs (aka outrigger tabs) on opposite sides of the connector. I've highlighted the outrigger tabs below:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts