GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Folks,

I purchased a used Nissan Leaf EVSE cord locally as a spare to keep in the car as I use the Volt unit daily at the house. I've often noticed that when I use the Nissan EVSE that the total charge time is always substantially lower. As an example, when there's about 5 miles of range remaining and I start charging at around 7 PM, the approximate "Fully Charged" time is around 3:15 AM. When I use the Volt EVSE, the "complete" time would be close to 7 AM (almost 12 hours total time).

Could it be that the electronics in the cord may become less efficient over time? I'm going to switch out the EVSE's and use the Nissan EVSE exclusively at the house every day and carry the Volt EVSE as the spare in the car instead.

*** I just got home and plugged in the Volt EVSE and it indicated the completion time to be 8:15 AM and then I switched to the Leaf version and it shows 4:30 AM using the same garage outlet.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is the GM 2012 EVSE set to 8A, whereas the Nissan is set to 12A?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's it thanks, for some reason the EVSE switched to 8 amps (2 green bars). I have it velcro'ed to the side of my toolbox and couldn't see the green lights. We've been having some rainstorms and power outages, so I think the EVSE resets to 8 amps when the power comes back on.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The Leaf EVSE won't charge the Volt any faster but it is far superior to the Voltec. Keep doing what you're doing. Use the Leaf EVSE for your everyday charging and keep the Voltec in the car.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Unless it is 2016/2017 Volt EVSE which is made by Clipper Creek and is superior to the Leaf unit...

The Leaf EVSE won't charge the Volt any faster but it is far superior to the Voltec. Keep doing what you're doing. Use the Leaf EVSE for your everyday charging and keep the Voltec in the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Leaf EVSE is most likely made by Panasonic, and since you have two EVSE's you could send the Panasonic unit off to EVSE upgrade. For $287 they will upgrade it so that you can use it on 240 volts or 120 Volts. It only takes about a week, then if you ever add a 240 Volt outlet in your garage you can charge up in about 3.5 to 4 hours. Plus it's still portable if need be and can also be used at 120 volts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the ideas and suggestions. I think my Volt EVSE is the original that came with my car (MY2012), with the 8/12 AMP green button.

What I like about the Nissan Leaf EVSE is that the black cord is very soft/flexible and does NOT get all twisted up easily. I also picked up another Volt EVSE (post 2012 model) locally for $ 100 to keep as a 3rd spare or to be converted in the future.

At the moment, my 240V service (50amp) goes to the laundry room (for the dryer), then to the garage to power the water heater. I own a gas dryer, so the 10-30 outlet is not used in the laundry room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts