GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what I need to have a more-or-less complete diagnostics toolkit for the first generation Chevy Volt.
It looks like GM/Delphi/ACDelco are changing terms and software licensing agreements.
  • Best source for obtaining a more or less permanent copy of, ideally, a digital copy of Chevy Volt technical documentation/manuals/repair guides
  • Recommendation for software tools/setup to maintain as much functionality as GM support wanes
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I can't seem to find the answers with my google-fu or searching the forums here.

-How do I get manuals and technical information on the car? It seems that many of these are now setup for dealer and repair shop higher cost subscriptions.
I'm concerned that maintaining the license fees and risk of these being discontinued due to the age of the vehicle. What are hedges against these issues?
-Diagnostics software and tools. It looks like Tech2Win is effectively discontinued, GDS1 is going away, and GDS2 is on the chopping block, and is now a subscription based model based on Techline Connect, where you are allowed to run the software for the duration of the software license. But, in the support list, it's not clear that Techline Connect even supports older car. At the 10 year mark, I believe that GM is no longer required to provide support. Which means all of the software tools could evaporate in 2025, and may already be NLA for 2012 and older.

Things I foresee:
-VIN wipe/reprogram parts from wrecked donor cars
-Relearn and reprogramming of electronic components after sub component repair or sensor replacement

-Has anyone had success with VXDIAG VCX software and hardware? It appears that they have an older version that permits some kind of minimal functionality without an ACDelco subscription? I'd like to make sure this is the case before I buy it. Has anyone here tried using this solution?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what I need to have a more-or-less complete diagnostics toolkit for the first generation Chevy Volt.
It looks like GM/Delphi/ACDelco are changing terms and software licensing agreements.
  • Best source for obtaining a more or less permanent copy of, ideally, a digital copy of Chevy Volt technical documentation/manuals/repair guides
  • Recommendation for software tools/setup to maintain as much functionality as GM support wanes
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I can't seem to find the answers with my google-fu or searching the forums here.

-How do I get manuals and technical information on the car? It seems that many of these are now setup for dealer and repair shop higher cost subscriptions.
I'm concerned that maintaining the license fees and risk of these being discontinued due to the age of the vehicle. What are hedges against these issues?
-Diagnostics software and tools. It looks like Tech2Win is effectively discontinued, GDS1 is going away, and GDS2 is on the chopping block, and is now a subscription based model based on Techline Connect, where you are allowed to run the software for the duration of the software license. But, in the support list, it's not clear that Techline Connect even supports older car. At the 10 year mark, I believe that GM is no longer required to provide support. Which means all of the software tools could evaporate in 2025, and may already be NLA for 2012 and older.

Things I foresee:
-VIN wipe/reprogram parts from wrecked donor cars
-Relearn and reprogramming of electronic components after sub component repair or sensor replacement

-Has anyone had success with VXDIAG VCX software and hardware? It appears that they have an older version that permits some kind of minimal functionality without an ACDelco subscription? I'd like to make sure this is the case before I buy it. Has anyone here tried using this solution?
I would be intersted in that myself!
Thanks in advance!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts