GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I drove to work in the snow today (MN), and on the way back it said "Service Parking Assist"... I just got this car quite recently and I really do not want it to already be broken to say the least 馃槓

Had it in the dealer a few weeks ago and they said everything was fine when I got my oil changed. What could possibly have caused this, and more importantly how much am I gonna have to pay to get this fixed...

It's been in the garage for like an hour I just checked and the message is still there but the car is still wet. I only tried wiping the sensors with my hands and there is still water on them, I may have to go and use a real rag to clean them off but I do know that they were working when I left my garage and I didn't hit anyone haha

Registered
Hopefully they are just wet and/or dirty. On my 2011 I received the same message one day after washing it, no amount of drying solved the problem and one of the sensors in the front bumper had to be replaced at a cost of $248. Obviously these sensors are designed for weather so hoping yours dries out and starts working again, keep us updated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully they are just wet and/or dirty. On my 2011 I received the same message one day after washing it, no amount of drying solved the problem and one of the sensors in the front bumper had to be replaced at a cost of $248. Obviously these sensors are designed for weather so hoping yours dries out and starts working again, keep us updated.
It sat overnight. Still doesn't work. I also dried them last night. Might try WD-40 before bringing it in to the dealer at some point

Registered
If it's a sensor, most any local shop should be able to replace it at a much lower cost than the dealer, that's what I did

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If it's a sensor, most any local shop should be able to replace it at a much lower cost than the dealer, that's what I did
Tried the WD-40. No change. I'll have to bring it into the dealer sometime next week just so that they can see what's wrong and if it's a reasonable price then I'll just pay. This dealer has been pretty nice to me so far so we'll see.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... I drove for the first time since the message and on the way back they are working. I only drive like 15 mins. Maybe it's because the computer thought one was bad because of the snow? Either way it's working fine. I will continue to monitor.

Registered
Okay... I drove for the first time since the message and on the way back they are working. I only drive like 15 mins. Maybe it's because the computer thought one was bad because of the snow? Either way it's working fine. I will continue to monitor.
This sounds like you have a bad sensor connection in the rear bumper. When it got wet it shorted out and resumed normal working once it dried out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This sounds like you have a bad sensor connection in the rear bumper. When it got wet it shorted out and resumed normal working once it dried out.
I dried it out and it way dry for days and then all I did was drive it for 15 mins and it went away. I know it was dry and I know it didn't work when I left. I will monitor the issue, maybe a 12v battery thing? Service airbag message came on and then went away immediately one time as well. I did have something in the back seat but I am not certain what's up. We'll see what the car decides to do lol

Registered
Did you dry the inside of the bumper cover? The wiring and connections for this run along the inside of this cover and if they're not sealed properly will exhibit the exact symptoms you describe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you dry the inside of the bumper cover? The wiring and connections for this run along the inside of this cover and if they're not sealed properly will exhibit the exact symptoms you describe.
Hmmm. I suppose it could be that, I never specifically dried that. The car was sitting for a week and still did not work when I left but right after the 15 min mark they started to work. I'll monitor it, if it is a continuous issue then I will bring it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4 months later it has not returned. I think it was related to me having them ON when driving. Funny you mention the rear bumper cover, it's misaligned eeeeever so slightly. I think it was damaged in the vehicle's accident. I don't feel like pulling all of it off just to struggle to put it back on for a little gap haha
everything looks sealed fine it just pokes out by like 1mm on one side and moves when pushed hard but again I don't think water got in that way if it was that, everything looks just about perfect. Have never had any issues in car washes with straight water or sitting snow.
Anyways, never returned and the airbag light never came back either. Not sure what was up that week but everything has been happy since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts