GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. i leased a 2014 awhile back. it was a fine car. no issues at all. now i am contemplating buying a well used volt.

i am finding a few 1st gens for $6k or even less with not much more than 100k on them. i am finding some 2nd gen for under $11k with under 80k miles on them. i can fix most issues that do not require special diagnostic/programing tools.

first question is doesn't the 2nd gen basically still have a driveline warranty until it hits 100k?

2nd question. i hear grumblings that the 1st gen seems to be a more solid car. is that the general consensus? if so i will just get the 1st gen.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
A1: yes unless you live if the republik of kalifornia or some other states that mandate a 150k mile warranty.
A2: it’s really up to you. A g1 will likely have more dings and bumps on it, because it has years of use. On the other hand you could stumble onto a pristine G1 vs. a trashed g2.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You really have to go on a case by case scenario as well as personal preferences and price. Does color matter? You have to live with it 365. Does having cool garage door and/or electric gate openers in the roof matter? Do you have a design preference, again a 365 thing. Would the longer EV range matter? Not if you live 5 miles from the grocery store or work or if you live in a place where electricity is outrageous because of utility malfeasance or gas is cheap from a heavily government subsidized oil and gas industry. The Gen II had a host of new technology gew gaws that you may want or couldn't care less about but the price of the Gen II car was reduced by $5,000 by GM saying, this is what we got (Gen I), where can we cut corners to reduce the price as much as possible (it wasn't all, the ever decreasing cost of battery production). Different people and circumstances will come up with different justifiable answers. Now ask me how long a piece of string is.

Reactions: TYmrLutz

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
number one goal is to not have to go fill up the wifes car with gas every 10 days. pretty much every time i get in the thing it needs gas... she was good about plugging in the volt we leased and i only had to put gas in the thing when we went on road trips. her round trip to work and back is 22miles. nearly every day miles would be between 20-30. the extra range and mpg on a gen 2 would be nice but not used much.

also i am a believer in the green aspects of electrics and our electricity is crazy cheap. 11cents/kwh 4 months of the year and 4.9cents the other 8 months of the year.

i am leaning toward another 1st gen because the value would be low enough to go liability only and the plates would be cheap. we get raped on plates and even renewing plates in this state.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went through same dilemma, a new G2 deal didn't form (very close, if salesman had returned that last call...), found a loaded G1, saved $15G. Been doing all repairs myself, mostly brakes, aux water pump, engine water pump. Have an extra set of Volt wheels I picked up, options open as they fit two cars. If your goal is long term ownership, G1 hands down, especially now they're (relatively) cheap. I've saved a bundle. Learned on this forum of multiple issues (defects?) with G2...direct injection high pressure fuel pump will fail early, EGR issues (no EGR on G1), shift to park, battery management module. Not to say G1 immune, just a simpler, robust design, and quality build. (the people that made these early build parts and put them together were very proud of what they were doing.) Do a MyGreenVolt battery health check, if <.02v variance, good, if over .05v, move on. Lots of help on this forum for us, thanks GM-Volt past & present contributors!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts