GM Volt Forum banner

2012 Axle replacement

Tags
axle diy
11K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dewana42 
#1 ·
My driver's side front axle was bad. It was clicking on right hand turns and it was clear that grease had been lost.

I didn't see any posts mentioning DIY axle replacement so I thought I would post a few things.

I purchased an after market axle from Rockauto.com. It was much cheaper than an OEM part and I have had good experiences with items purchased off Rockauto. Admittedly, all my other cars have been much more common so there were plenty of aftermarket choices. I could only find one option. It was manufactured by SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE GM8347 and including shipping was $72. There were a sufficient number of bellows. I have replaced numerous axles and the greater the number of bellows helps to decrease the stresses on the boot.

The axle replacement was involved, but not difficult. I followed the basic instructions from the manual that someone had posted at one point. It involved a complete removal of the hub assembly. But this was easy because the ball joint separation was easier than any ball joint I have ever encountered. Just removal of one bolt and it pulled right off. Frankly, the tie rod was more difficult and required a pickle fork.

On the driver's side axle there was no good place to stick a screwdriver in to pry the old axle off. I had to remove the front wheel well cover (don't know what to call it) in order to gain better access for my pickle fork from the front instead of underneath where I would usually do it. Pushing with my foot popped it out. A considerable amount of transmission fluid leaked out. I didn't mind as I was changing the fluid out as well on my 2012 Volt with 113,000 miles on it.

I have included a picture of the fluid leaking out. I have also included a picture of the old and new axles. The new one isn't identical, but works fine. It didn't have the little cover that mates up to a similar one on the engine side, but I haven't seen other axles with it so it should be fine.

The new axle snapped into place easily. The ring stayed on the male axle piece on the engine side.

I know these are not detailed instructions. I didn't see anyone else posting about it and I wanted to post and say it isn't a difficult job and you can save a couple of hundred dollars doing it yourself if you like. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Auto part Tire Crankset Groupset Bicycle part
Auto part Hardware accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I had the infamous clicking within the last year that I'm pretty sure was just that nut/washer issue (I'd link to the large thread on the topic, but am lazy today). Told my dealer about that but they wanted to replace the front driver axle. It was under powertrain warranty so whatever, I just had them do what they wanted. Clicking is gone, so I'm happy.

#5 ·
After replacement and driving around for a while, I noticed that I was getting a single clicking sound upon deceleration or acceleration. I checked the torque on the axle nut and it was fine. I checked the set screw on the rotor and it was a bit loose, so I put blue locktite on it and tightened it. The sound still persisted. So, I removed the new axle nut that was included with the new axle and replaced it with my old axle nut. I torqued it down properly and the sound is no longer present.

My axle nuts do not have the washer. I think I have read that some Volts have a washer present. Previously it was staying tight and working well. I guess I don't care as long as it works well and stays tight.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
There have also been some detailed threads on the FB group about this. The washer is item 20, on the other side of the hub. It does not go under the nut.

View attachment 155387

I think this will work for others(?)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners/permalink/2111775585501722/
Thanks for the post. My car does have item "20" and it still does. The washer has some small teeth in it. On other cars I have seen a washer right by the axle nut and I was expecting that when people mentioned washer for the Volt.

BTW, we're practically neighbors. Thanks again.

#8 ·
My driver's side front axle was bad. It was clicking on right hand turns and it was clear that grease had been lost.

I didn't see any posts mentioning DIY axle replacement so I thought I would post a few things.

I purchased an after market axle from Rockauto.com. It was much cheaper than an OEM part and I have had good experiences with items purchased off Rockauto. Admittedly, all my other cars have been much more common so there were plenty of aftermarket choices. I could only find one option. It was manufactured by SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE GM8347 and including shipping was $72. There were a sufficient number of bellows. I have replaced numerous axles and the greater the number of bellows helps to decrease the stresses on the boot.

The axle replacement was involved, but not difficult. I followed the basic instructions from the manual that someone had posted at one point. It involved a complete removal of the hub assembly. But this was easy because the ball joint separation was easier than any ball joint I have ever encountered. Just removal of one bolt and it pulled right off. Frankly, the tie rod was more difficult and required a pickle fork.

On the driver's side axle there was no good place to stick a screwdriver in to pry the old axle off. I had to remove the front wheel well cover (don't know what to call it) in order to gain better access for my pickle fork from the front instead of underneath where I would usually do it. Pushing with my foot popped it out. A considerable amount of transmission fluid leaked out. I didn't mind as I was changing the fluid out as well on my 2012 Volt with 113,000 miles on it.

I have included a picture of the fluid leaking out. I have also included a picture of the old and new axles. The new one isn't identical, but works fine. It didn't have the little cover that mates up to a similar one on the engine side, but I haven't seen other axles with it so it should be fine.

The new axle snapped into place easily. The ring stayed on the male axle piece on the engine side.

I know these are not detailed instructions. I didn't see anyone else posting about it and I wanted to post and say it isn't a difficult job and you can save a couple of hundred dollars doing it yourself if you like. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

View attachment 155307 View attachment 155309
This is a TSB item - so free?
Bearing issue is present on TSB.

#9 ·
I don’t think so. A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, it simply gives the technician an exact procedure to follow when presented with a particular common problem. If the car were still under warranty it would be free, but otherwise, it’s on the owner. If it were a recall it would also be free. GM sometimes will have a “recall” where they will pay to repair a particular problem if it fails in some number of years into the future (or refund you if you have already paid for said repair).

#14 ·
Hi just did a left side (driver side) axle replacement and I am thinking the play on the transaxler (transmission) side is not normal? I made a video if someone can confirm.

Thank you youtube link to movement
Doesn’t look normal. Did you install a new washer and torque the nut to proper speck?
Also did you replace the seal (on transmission before sliding the axle to transmission?)
I know its an old post but what was the resolution?

#15 ·
So I endup replacing my axle today. Did not replace the seal as I did it last time about a year ago. I used axle from autozone but sadly it did not last long enough. Just removed the old axle and pop the new one in quickly and kept a pan under so I can add the transmission oil back into the system. Make sure add new oil and not the same one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.