GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this bulletin. It appears there is a rebuild kit for the HV battery. Checked online, price seems to be around 6k although the TSB says you need TAC approval before ordering so not sure what that entails on a customer pay vehicle. Check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,072 Posts
Interesting that the TSB only applies to 2011-2012 models and the refurb packs are using the newer P1.7 chemistry which is what the 2015 uses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2 years ago I bought a salvaged battery with ~95k miles for $1600 and had it swapped in by one of the semi-local GM dealers... it turned out to be quite an ordeal as I don't think their tech had much experience (beyond going to a clinic on the topic) and I ended up getting stuck with an extra $200 charge when the car threw a "low coolant" code a month later and they insisted they had not failed to purge/charge the system properly... all in all I was out about $2800 for the whole thing and I don't know if I can hope for more than 50k miles on the used battery.

The battery I "ordered" had ~45k miles but the one delivered wasn't the same... I nearly sent it back but hadn't seen any others without close to 100k and didn't need the frustration. One of the two dealers in my area wouldn't do the swap on a salvage battery, and the one that would do it was weak on customer service and possibly competence. I wasn't prepared to do my own swap and even if I had, I'd have needed to buy a VxNano and GM subscription to reset everything or have the dealer do that anyway ($400)...

One plus is that I kept the used battery which is still very useful for off-grid solar/storage even if not up to the finicky needs of a car traction system. But for someone not interested in that, the used battery might be a recycle challenge/burden? I do see people selling submodules on e-bay for solar for modest prices, so for the DIY person, maybe it defrays lots of the cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery capacity has doubled since 2012 so replacing all cells with new should double range. Interesting what this would cost as the cell price alone would not be prohibitive.
I was thinking same thing, did u come up with anything. i was looking to get a new battery since the inside of it looks new. i just got it and only get 30 miles on a charge but it has 126+,984 miles on it. and i still happy that i brought it used

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
620 Posts
30 miles on a charge isn’t bad. The new pack should get 40-50 miles a charge I am told, but under normal driving conditions that is closer to 40. The old pack I had in my 2012 was very badly degraded when I bought it, so I almost doubled my range vs the old battery when it started to fail. If the GOM is showing around 30 miles you should be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how much did u buy the new battery for and where did u get it? i had 128,214 on the 2012 and i love it but want more than the 29miles i am getting now. i love the car and if i can find a battery for a good price i will go with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
30 miles on a charge isn’t bad. The new pack should get 40-50 miles a charge I am told, but under normal driving conditions that is closer to 40. The old pack I had in my 2012 was very badly degraded when I bought it, so I almost doubled my range vs the old battery when it started to fail. If the GOM is showing around 30 miles you should be good.
love your post. can you help me i want to buy a new battery for my 2012 i got it used but loveeeeeee the car

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
love your post. can you help me i want to buy a new battery for my 2012 i got it used but loveeeeeee the car
You will not find a NEW battery anywhere.

Feed a man, or teach him to fish?

1. Open the document in post #1.
2. Copy the part number listed
3. Google that part number to find suppliers and pricing

Or, buy a battery from a junkyard.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this project is likely not in your skill set, you'll need to hire someone.

Reactions: Btravelen

·
Registered
13 Posts
how much did u buy the new battery for and where did u get it? i had 128,214 on the 2012 and i love it but want more than the 29miles i am getting now. i love the car and if i can find a battery for a good price i will go with that.
What is your battery capacity? How many kWh are you getting on average per full charge?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts