GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2015 Volt LT, purchased Oct 2020 w/88k miles. 105k and going...
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on 2 things here:

- roof rack: mostly for hauling a canoe short distances [i.e., < 100 miles] for trips. Is there a really good option that folks here have used? When I got the canoe [17' Wenonah - kevlar, 40# weight] I got a DIY 'kit' with it from the previous owner consisting of custom rope/ties, pads [made from foam 'water noodles']. Haven't hauled since I sold my previous car in favor of the Volt.

-trailer: I know, don't pull anything with a Volt. That said, I want a light duty [aluminum?] trailer with a very centered axle to minimize loading on the hitch [only rated at 100# tongue weight]. The hitch package I have installed is SOLID, stronger than the unibody of the Volt I'm sure; I've had it primarily as a bicycle rack attachment point. With a move coming in the next year, I wanted to have a very small trailer for assisting in a self-move.

Any help here?

Thanks! :geek:

· Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
223 Posts
I have the inflatable style roof rack bars, never used them with a canoe though. Plenty good for moving large flat objects like solar panels though. I imagine they would work as well as or better than pool noodles as pads for a canoe though.

I ran the "harbor freight special" user assembly required trailer for quite awhile. The tires that come on then really suck, and the frame loves to warp over time, but for light duty they'll get the job done.

· Registered
349 Posts
I have a Curt 1 1/2 inch (1000 lb max gross, 100 lb max tongue)* receiver on my '14. I've used it to tow a small (680 lb empty, about 900 loaded) pop-up on camping trips.
Recognize that the re-gen braking is on the Volt's front wheels only, that the trailer tongue weight load will REDUCE weight on the front tires, and that the added trailer mass will necessitate more braking force to obtain the same deceleration rate.

* or vehicle manufacturer's maximum limit, which for a gen1 Volt is zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts