GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever heard the gears shift from the outside. I happened to be outside when my volt was being brought into the driveway and the shift to Drive and Reverse they sounded like loud clicks with a whirring sound. Wondering if this is normal or something that needs to be checked out. I guess sitting inside the Volt you barely heard a thing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What you heard was not coming from the transmission. The move from drive to reverse is not a physical shift at all. It's purely an electrical status change where the field windings in the electric motor change direction to spin the motor backwards; something a gasoline powered car cannot do. It's normal to hear a variety of soft clicking, whining, and whirring noises. You'll also hear many of these same noises if you stand right in front of the car and do a remote start. These are relays, pumps, inverters, and solenoids doing their jobs. In other words: your car is fine.

·
Administrator
21,228 Posts
It's normal to hear a variety of soft clicking, whining, and whirring noises. You'll also hear many of these same noises if you stand right in front of the car and do a remote start. These are relays, pumps, inverters, and solenoids doing their jobs. In other words: your car is fine.
The Volt was built based on Krell schematics:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you heard was not coming from the transmission. The move from drive to reverse is not a physical shift at all. It's purely an electrical status change where the field windings in the electric motor change direction to spin the motor backwards; something a gasoline powered car cannot do. It's normal to hear a variety of soft clicking, whining, and whirring noises. You'll also hear many of these same noises if you stand right in front of the car and do a remote start. These are relays, pumps, inverters, and solenoids doing their jobs. In other words: your car is fine.
Ah, good to know, that explains all the whirring and whining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts