GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GE Wattstation that I used to use with my Leaf and am now using with my Volt.

I have a warning light that keeps coming on and my dealer ran a diagnostic. Their conclusion was that my charger is not delivering enough current.

I am pretty sure that it works ok for charging at night because I can see from my eMonitor that it is using the full 3KW. What I think is happening is that it tries to use the wall power for the active temperature control of the batteries. On warm days I can hear my wattstations making a lot of clicking sounds.

The Wattstation seems to always start delivering current with a very loud clicking sound.

I think that when the car is asking for low amounts of current the wattstation keeps switching itself on and off.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Can't help you but anything with a GE name plate worries me. Many GE appliences we've owned over the years prematurely failed and left bitter tastes in our mouths.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I hope to have my Wattstation hooked up within the next several days and will try to remember to come back and make a comment. I got the Wattstation mostly due to esthetics, as it sits outside of my NY home that has no garage. I really didnt care for my alternatives- even the SPX Power Xpress that I use at my FL home. For some reason, makers of these pieces of equipment assume they will all stay in a garage, where their butt-ugly products won't catch anybody's eye. The Wattstation was the only one that seemed to care about appearances- and the ability to turn the power off to the unit. I hope I have no issues. I will stay tuned to other responses. Since I have not seen anything written up before, I might assume an isolated trouble.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The garage under my local Harris Teeter has two Wattstations that I have used several times with no problem. The nice thing about them is that they don't require an RFID card. You just plug them in.

Better yet, they are a free charge. (Are you listening Walgreens??)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I hope to have my Wattstation hooked up within the next several days and will try to remember to come back and make a comment. I got the Wattstation mostly due to esthetics, as it sits outside of my NY home that has no garage.
There is nothing prettier that something that works properly. Form follows function.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Wattstation. Of course, it makes the loud click when it starts and stops charging, but I've never had it go on and off during the middle of charging, even on warm days. I've noticed when I have it on delay that the car seems to check the charger for a few seconds every hour or so, I guess to make sure it's still ready to go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a GE Wattstation that I used to use with my Leaf and am now using with my Volt.

I have a warning light that keeps coming on and my dealer ran a diagnostic. Their conclusion was that my charger is not delivering enough current.

I am pretty sure that it works ok for charging at night because I can see from my eMonitor that it is using the full 3KW. What I think is happening is that it tries to use the wall power for the active temperature control of the batteries. On warm days I can hear my wattstations making a lot of clicking sounds.

The Wattstation seems to always start delivering current with a very loud clicking sound.

I think that when the car is asking for low amounts of current the wattstation keeps switching itself on and off.

I just PM'd you contact info for a chap from GE, division that handles the EVSE's.

Maybe he can assist you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
AZ EV Driver: 'There is nothing prettier that something that works properly. Form follows function.'

And your point is???

This is a new market for EVSEs. There is no track record to go by. If they seem to cost the same (pluggables are running around a grand- including the SPX I mentioned since its price went up back in October), and there are no indications ahead of time that you will have a problem- why wouldn't you go with the thing that looks better if it will be readily visible?

And since it was available from Lowe's, I saved an extra hundred bucks with my military discount.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a WattStation too. The units designed for the home are different than the commercial units. My unit also loudly throws a switch when it commences charging and when it stops charging. With the warm weather now, and it gets pretty warm in my garage, after charging is complete, if the battery calls for the cooling system, the charger provides current by turning itself on, again with a loud throw of a switch. This was quite disconcerting when I installed it. It also makes a significant humming noise when charging. Other than the sounds, it has performed with my Volt flawlessly, and esthetically it bests all others.

I have seen photos of the innards of the WattStation, the SPX, and a couple of others. The GE components are much more complex and robust looking than any other charger out there that has photos of the innards available for viewing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi dutchinchicago, I'm the GE representative that Sharkonwheels was referring to in his previous post. Hopefully I can help you and others out here. By the description you are giving it sounds like the issue may be with the charging system integral to the vehicle, not the EVSE equipment. Since the charger worked with your Leaf and your eMonitor is showing a full 3 kWh pull that leads me to believe the charging station is working properly. Additionally, our chargers are designed so that if there is a problem during the charging operation you will get a red fault light on the front of the unit. The light has an exclamation point (!). If you are not seeing this then your charger is okay.

In regard to the "clicking" sound that is being described by many: That sound is actually an electrical contactor inside of the unit that is closing to initiate the charge to the vehicle. Without getting too technical, it operates via a magnet and an electrical coil. When the charger is ready to deliver power to the vehicle it energizes the coil, creating a magnetic field, which pulls the adjacent magnet down to close the contacts in the device thus energizing the power cord to the vehicle. When it energizes and closes it does so pretty abruptly which produces the “click” that you are hearing. That’s completely normal. The power cord on our charger (and all EVSE stations) is not energized until a communications cable in the J1772 plug registers that it is connected to the vehicle. There is also a communication interaction between the charger and the car, via a pilot signal, during the duration of the charging cycle. If any of this is interrupted in any way the charging station will open the contactor and terminate the charge.

I would recommend getting your Volt to the dealership and have them run a test on the on-board charging system. Although many do not realize it, the actual charger that controls the power delivery to the battery is integral to the vehicle. It converts the A/C power to D/C and dictates the rate of power delivery to the battery pack. That is why “charging stations” are really called EVSE, or electric vehicle supply equipment. The EVSE is there to provide levels of safety, such as overload and ground fault protection, and provide a means of disconnect (the contactor) for energizing and de-energizing the cable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply.

It was actually my dealer who told me about the EVSE problem. I have a warning light that comes on regularly and after running a diagnostic it returned that there was a problem with my charger. I will get the exact error codes and wording when I get back home.

I love the wattstation. It looks great and it has spare capacity so that it will work with my 6.6Kwh charger in my 2015 Volt. My neighbor is buying a Volt this weekend and is going to install the same wattstation.

I have the feeling that the battery cooling does not draw enough power for the wattstation to stay on. It requests power (I see 120watt in my emonitor) and the wattstation keeps clicking on and off every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a wattstation as well. I did find that when I unplugged the charger shortly after the charge negotiation period (right after the horn beeps) and then tried to plug it in again immediately I would get CEL that said to check the high voltage charging system (not sure the specific code). I can do this with the 120v charger and it usually signals the car to switch from delayed mode to immediate charging (this is described in the manual). I found the CEL goes away after a few cycles and everything else is normal. Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but just thought I'd let you know what I had seen. I've been using my wattstation for almost 9 months now with no other problems. I just have to switch from delayed to immediate on the touch screen before I plug-in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That could be it. I tried unplugging and plugging in to make it charge immediately but it did not work. I did not think anything of it. I can not remember if I did this the last time the CEL comes on. The CEL has come on three times in the last six months and usually goes away after a few days.

I miss the charge now button from my leaf but I love the remote open charge port feature from the volt ;)

Have you not noticed the constant clicking on hot days (plugged in but not charging).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haven't had any 'hot' days here in Cincinnati! :) I believe it cycles on and off to keep the minimum state of charge or to maintain the full-charge while the battery thermal management is running. We'll see if I see it more during the hotter months. I believe all other chargers do that, but you probably don't notice it due to the lack of 'thunk' when turning on and off. I did notice it in the winter when I did the remote start to warm-up the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the report from my mechanic.

It is titles DTC POD3E or POD3F.

POD3E: Battery Charger Input Voltage Sensor Performance.
POD3F: Battery Charger Input Voltage Sensor Circuit Low Voltage.

In the notes is says:
"Verify that the customer did not attempt to charge vehicle in the rain or extreme wet environment.
Low or unstable household voltage supply can cause this DTC to set. Verify with customer that household voltage was not fluctuating during charge attempt and that they are using a dedicated circuit with no extension cord"

Not very helpful.

I am going to ignore it for now and keep enjoying my Volt and Wattstation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a GE charger and a 2013 Volt.
I have two issues.
First it will not charge the Volt when jumpered for 20 amps.
OK, I moved it to 30, not ideal but the Volt only draws 16 so it is safe.
Second issue, even the the car is fully charged the car horn will beep every so often indicating it has started charging again.
This morning I went out and there was no blinking light on the car but the EV charger was indicating everything is fine.
Unplugged the plug and put back in. This time I got all sorts of weird flashing on the dash light. The center console said "charging", "unable to charge".
Very frustrating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts