GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.I am a newbie to the site and have to thank everyone for the excellent treaure trove of info out here.I bought a red 2013 volt 6 weeks ago,recently got a 240 V line installed in the garage and hooked up a plugin GE Wattstation.As I connect the charger I hear 2 loud thud noises in sequence and Volt does not start charging(charging starts off with one loud thud noise which is normal I understand).The wattstation keeps repeating these loud noises for another 2-3 times before it falls silent.I put it off and restart again and same thing has been happening.I tried the regular 110 V charger and it works fine.Does anyone have any idea why this is happening.I haven't called my volt advisor or the GE help desk yet,will try it in the am.
could this be from low voltage through the 240V port ?
has anyone had similar problem with the GE wattstation?
thanks in advance

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
The Volt Advisor will not be of help on a GE Wattstation. You already know the car can charge, it's the GE that's having an issue. What does the GE owners manual have to say? If it has no answers, you may need to call GE.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Possible wiring issue

Check the wiring on the wattstation. I'm assuming you're using a Plug-in model and if so there's a discrepancy between the instruction sets for the hardwired version and the plug-in. The hardwired version calls for two hot & one neutral. The plug-in version calls for two hot and one ground (proper NEMA 6-50 wiring). The issue is that the pin on the unit used for the ground on the plug in version is the same exact pin used for neutral on the hardwired version. There is really no difference between the two units except one has a plug, the other does not.

If your electrician wired the NEMA 6-50 with ground on the ground pin instead of neutral this may be causing the issue. We have two, both wired with neutral on the ground pin and have had no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply.I will check this with my electrician .
I forgot to mention in the first post that I have had the wattstation for close to 2 weeks now,when I connect the charger it does sometimes start charging without a problem,sometimes after 1 or 2 attempts and after disconnecting and reconnecting the charger it used to work,but yesterday nothing seems to work,inspite of multiple attempts at resetting it,resetting the breaker etc.
thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Before you call the 800# for the Wattstation again, make sure you write down the sequence for the fault lights on the front. Check your manual for where and what to look for. The support team will ask you for that sequence.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Since nothing has changed with the install and it was working before, it's either a voltage issue or the unit itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Several weeks ago I had the same ting happen to my Wattstation. It would kick on but then shut down and I had no fault codes appear. I called GE Industrial and with no questions asked they sent a new one overnight. They also sent a label for FedEX to pick-up the old one. The new one is not as loud at all. I believe that GE knows there is an issue and they have apparently redesigned because the new one is very quiet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Note that the GE Wattstation is loud at start and stop, so the noise is probably normal. In my case, it does the same as you describe when I program a delayed charging start on the Volt. But it's all normal in my case. I plug in, the charger start for only few seconds, then stop and wait to restart at the time set. So two loud sounds in few seconds (Wattstation start and then stop).

It also does it when I open a door or open the trunk, while the car is not charging (is on delayed start, or is fully charged, but plugged in).

Could be that your wattstation wrongly detects the Volt is set to delayed charging. Would be a faulty unit then.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My theory is that the Volt wants to use wall power to do small things like powering the interior lights. My Volt is set to delayed charging so it wouldn't normally be charging until midnight.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I had an issue with a commercial WattStation over the weekend:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/15328

The Volt would go to yellow light, display a "Unable to Charge" and "Charging override/interrupt occurred" messages, and then start charging again. A couple of minutes later it would repeat. The Volt did fully charge while I was watching a movie, but it would not finish charging to go on standby with a flashing green. It just kept extending the charging end time further. After a couple of these occurrences I just unplugged it and left.

My speculation is that as the Volt ramped down the current draw the WattStation disconnected the circuit (either for safety or because it considers the Volt is finished charging). It is also possible that the Volt itself interrupted charging because of low voltage. No way to tell what was the actual supply voltage and current as the Volt does not display these (unlike the Model S).

This is the only L2 charging station that has given me this problem. Charging elsewhere works just fine so I don't think it is related to this: http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17343.html

Just to finish, these new commercial WattStations are just weird. During the day one cannot tell if they are powered on as the ring light is too dim. The indicator lights on it are a bit cryptic. There are no instructions on how to use it. The retractable cord stops retracting only when the cord is plugged, which requires a mighty cord yanking to accomplish. Last but not least, the authentication and activation of the station via the app is convoluted and frankly a bit unnecessary since these stations are free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This am I tried one more time before calling GE customer service center,no luck with the wattstation.I have always had the charge mode set at "immediate charging" ,so I don't think this issue is caused by delayed charging.And as the above member noticed,even I have had issues with Wattstation while the volt is still charging,twice i received a text alert saying my volt is not charging and charging is interrupted,I go out into the garage and see that volt is charging normally.Another time,the full charge end time kept being pushed further and when i checked the volt did not see any green/orange blink light on.seems as if volt wasn't charging at all.
anyway,I called GE service center today and they asked for proof of purchase,serial number of the unit and my shipping address and said they will send a new unit and an RMA slip to return the existing unit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Update us on the results once you get the new Wattstation please. It would be interesting to confirm it's the unit (hopefully it is). As fellow Wattstation owner, the more I know about what can go wrong on my unit, or symptoms I can point to similar experience if ever they come, the more confident I become with the unit and/or options I have to replace if needed. EV/EVSE are still new technologies, we have to assume not everything will be flawless, but it helps in building confidence when we see resolution of issues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just received an email from GE service center-they are shipping a new unit by air on 9/6/13
Will update once I set up the new unit ,appreciate the forum members insight and advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Received a new replacement GE wattstation today,hooked it up and it works like a charm now,started off with a small thud noise and charging normally.few things different on this new wattstation are
1.the plug in pig tail is 4 inch shorter than the previous charger,I fixed the wall mounting plate for the old charger and couldn't get the new charger plug reach till the outlet,shorter by 4 inches.had to get an extension cord from local hardware store,a welder cord and it works

2.the charging cord itself felt longer,I will measure it tomorrow am

3.older charger had aluminum latch on the charger handle,new one has plastic and feels lighter(cheaper)

4.the charging handle is much lighter in the new charger

Will be returning the old charger tomorrow by UPS or fedex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...
I have a 2013 Volt and a GE Wattstation (non-networked) for charging the car at home. It's worked fine for the last two years or so, though it is loud when the relay (I believe) connects.
This weekend, the device started 'chattering' (again, I assume it's the sound of a relay) and now it chatters for 3-5 seconds and a red light gets displayed on the Wattstation. The car does not charge.
I assume the Wattstation is dead. Does anyone know the warranty period? And the correct number to call at GE? I tried one number today (1-888-437-3765) and they were closed even though it was only 3:25 here in CA.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
WattStation

The warranty is for 3 years. I believe your unit is still covered by the warranty. The number for the GE warranty team is 1-888-437-3765. If you have any issues getting in touch with them, you can reach out to the GE EVSE support team at 855-443-3873.

GE EV Product Manager

1 - 16 of 16 Posts