GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had two of these (GE replaced the first one free of charge when I could not get it to work). In both of them, although it is set at 20AMPs, my new Volt tells me that it cannot charge with it. Does anyone have a similar problem? Is there something on the Volt that I need to set? I have used commercial level 2 chargers at parking lots successfully so I don't understand why this does not work. I have had a very experienced electrician install it and it seems to be getting power to the charger but it will not charge the Volt. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you have an amp setting on the GE, change it to a higher or lower setting and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This has been reported before, but not sure if it was with the GE. I'm almost certain that the manufacturer acknowledged they were having the problem. I also believe they found an amp setting that allowed it to work, but maybe not at it's optimum. I'll try to find it with a Google search of this site.

Edit: It was a GE. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?226794 .

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have a 4-yr-old GE WattStation rated at 7.2kW and installed on a 40-amp breaker per manuf install guide. Never had an issue charging '13 Volt or '14 ELR. I bought GE because of prior experience with GE home appliances (all good).

At the time, ClipperCreek was new with zero track record.

If I were to replace the GE I'd go with a portable 120/240v EVSE. My next car will probably need this larger capability though. I'm thinking BEV.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My next car will probably need this larger capability though. I'm thinking BEV.
I chose my GE Durastation for this reason, and installed the same.

To the OP, I am on my 2nd Durastation. The first one failed after a few months of service, Amazon replaced it. Something went wrong with its insides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. I think we have it fixed. We ignored the instructions to set the jumper for 20AMPs and it works fine. Since we have the breaker set at 20AMPs, it can't deliver more than 20AMPS anyway. It seems to be charging but we will see after I use the Volt and need the charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts