GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Every station on my way to work was out of gas today. The station closest to my office had gas, and a line about 1/2 a mile long on the street waiting to get into the parking lot. I smugly drove right past them, and had a chuckle with the other EV drivers at work about it!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Stations in the Raleigh, NC area are starting to run out of gas with lines at the rest of the stations. I decided to fill my Volt's tank, but glad I didn't have to, and glad I will not need any more for a long time.

I'ts pretty sobering to learn that one pipeline supplies gasoline to 50 million people. Talk about a perfect terrorist target.

Loving my flex-fuel vehicle as always.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Most stations around here are out too. I've got a quarter tank left. That should last me until somewhere around next July, the pipeline should be repaired by then.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the Marietta, GA area this weekend, I have seen one gas station that's run out of Premium and one time when the station at Costco was an absolute madhouse. As far as I have seen, premium fuel is anywhere between $2.36/gal at Costco and $3.09/gal somewhere else.

I, too, am glad that I have options. What I do find surprising, though, is that the news channels have not come out with advice on what people can do to save on fuel (consolidate trips, share rides with buddies, etc.).

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Short term gas shortages seem to happen every few years in the Northeast. One big snow storm that cripples the grid for a few days is all it takes. There are very few gas stations that have backup power.
Of course a snow storm is something you can prepare for. An unexpected pipeline failure, not so much

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Probably good to have occasional disruptions to illustrate to everyone how dependent we are on the stuff, and how maybe that is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I recall years ago it seemed that every little thing would raise the price of gasoline and no matter what it would never go down. If a tanker truck rolled over somewhere in Kansas and lost 100 gallons of gas it would seem like the price of gas at the pump all over the country would go up 10 cents per gallon.

Crazy times back then.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Every station on my way to work was out of gas today. The station closest to my office had gas, and a line about 1/2 a mile long on the street waiting to get into the parking lot. I smugly drove right past them, and had a chuckle with the other EV drivers at work about it!
The irony here is that if something similar happens to the power grid, it will be exactly the same for you, except now you'll have a chuckle with the other gasser drivers at work, at the expense of the EV (only) drivers. ;-)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The irony here is that if something similar happens to the power grid, it will be exactly the same for you, except now you'll have a chuckle with the other gasser drivers at work, at the expense of the EV (only) drivers. ;-)
If the electrical power grid goes down, the gas station pumps will be dead, and everyone will be in the same boat.

Except the bicycle commuters.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the electrical power grid goes down, the gas station pumps will be dead, and everyone will be in the same boat.

Except the bicycle commuters.
Well, maybe they'll have generators?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In my observation, it is not common for gas stations to be powered by generators. This is based on typically seeing them closed during past power outages.

I suppose they could be wired up to a portable unit if the need were great enough.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Here in Northwestern Oregon you can almost expect sometime in the winter power will be out for more than 24 hours. I always keep are 2017 Volt gas tank filled for such an event, and 25 gal's of regular gas in the garage for our emergency generator. So if the power goes off my wife can still get to work with her Volt and we have gas in the garage to fill it up if needed.

Try that with a Tesla or Leaf...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here in Northwestern Oregon you can almost expect sometime in the winter power will be out for more than 24 hours. I always keep are 2017 Volt gas tank filled for such an event, and 25 gal's of regular gas in the garage for our emergency generator. So if the power goes off my wife can still get to work with her Volt and we have gas in the garage to fill it up if needed.

Try that with a Tesla or Leaf...
You have a generator though... you'd just plug in.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Its a small generator for the fridge/freezer, TV, and a few lights. It would probably cost more to use the generator to charge the Volt than to use gas to drive it anyways..

·
Registered
260 Posts
In my observation, it is not common for gas stations to be powered by generators. This is based on typically seeing them closed during past power outages.

I suppose they could be wired up to a portable unit if the need were great enough.
When the DC area had that snowpocalypse of 2010, my house lost power for 3 days, but the roads were plowed and the main street business had power, including the gas stations. Residential areas were the most affected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts