GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

*The car is on its way to the dealership right now, but wanted to post this here to see if anyone else have experienced a similar issue, or perhaps heard of a similar issue on some other forum.

I recently noticed a gas fume smell in my garage a really heavy one, and after investigating for long i couldn't pin down the source of the smell though the smell was heavier near the driver door of my volt.

Since i have been trying to isolate the issue to my garage or the car. recently, I parked my volt in my parents garage for a couple of days, and my dad told me of this gas fume odor in his garage. So we popped the hood, and I see no leaks, no indication of anything wrong, but there is a heavy smell on the driver side of the hood where the pink fluids sit.

I am not sure what is going on, but the cars computers don't show any faults, and everything still runs normal and smooth.

Any recommendations? anyone has read about, or experienced a similar issue?

*Additional Info: 2018 Volt, 7,000 Miles on the Odometer (only 100 miles on gasoline), gas tank is half full, and I haven't filled gas in the car.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Have not heard of that issue before. Sounds like you did the right thing. Have the dealer diagnose and fix. A gas leak is a potential fire, so don't just live with it.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Have not heard of that issue before. Sounds like you did the right thing. Have the dealer diagnose and fix. A gas leak is a potential fire, so don't just live with it.
Definitely have your Volt checked by a qualified Chevrolet service department. Did you recently fill the fuel tank? It is possible that you overfilled the tank and forced fuel into the fuel evaporation recovery canister. Not a good thing to have happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not filled the car with gas, it has half a tank.

+Update: Service department couldn't find anything wrong with the car, and they kept saying that they cannot smell anything wrong. I had to force them to put the car up and check underneath for any leaks.

I am not sure if they took out the plastic below the car, from the time it took them to report back that everything is good, i don't think they did. then they tell me they cant smell anything when my dad is telling me on the phone that he can smell gasoline fume under the hood, but the guy standing next to him keeps saying no he cant smell it.

for reference: I have had 12 cars leased since 2007, and the volt is one of 3 cars I own right now. So i am not crazy i know what i am talking about, this car has some leak or something is wrong.

Will keep this updated at a later point.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

+Update: Service department couldn't find anything wrong with the car, and they kept saying that they cannot smell anything wrong. I had to force them to put the car up and check underneath for any leaks.

I am not sure if they took out the plastic below the car, from the time it took them to report back that everything is good, i don't think they did. then they tell me they cant smell anything when my dad is telling me on the phone that he can smell gasoline fume under the hood, but the guy standing next to him keeps saying no he cant smell it.

for reference: I have had 12 cars leased since 2007, and the volt is one of 3 cars I own right now. So i am not crazy i know what i am talking about, this car has some leak or something is wrong.

There was a service bulletin on the 2016/2017 Gen 2 Volt that involved installing a wrap or a bushing on the Volt's fuel system fuel recovery line. Evidently the fuel recovery line would rub against the frame/chassis and wear a hole in the recovery line. Then the line needed to be replaced (this was/is a long time consuming repair.) The wrap/bushing protected the line so it would not rub directly against the chassis. This repair also involved replacing or reprogramming a sensor in the fuel recovery system, clearing any codes. So if there are no codes logged (the dealer would have/should have checked the error log) it is probably something else.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Did you put a drip pad under your suspected leak spot? Anyone know where the fuel filter might be? I wouldn't expect the car to show any faults for a gas line leak.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Don't give up on this problem. Maybe if they kept it inside the shop overnight, it would be more obvious to them? Hopefully you didn't steer them wrong by mentioning the hood location. A lot of the fuel system and vapor recovery system is at the rear of the car or underneath, so they should be looking everywhere. Also, this leak might not be dripping, but just seeping and evaporating, so it may be very hard to see.

I would park the car outside and not in your garage while it is like that.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
It would not hurt to do this; turn off the Volt, press the fuel filler door button located on the lower panel of the driver's door for 2 seconds. Go to the right side of the Volt, press the fuel filler door and release, the door should partially open. Unscrew the fuel cap. Screw the fuel filler cap back in. (Be sure to only tighten the fuel cap until it clicks once, do not continue to tighten.) Close the fuel filler door. Wait a day and then press the blue OnStar button; ask the OnStar representative to run and on-demand diagnostic on the vehicle. This sometimes returns error codes that will be entered on the ticket that the service department can access when you bring in the vehicle to be serviced. The Volt's fuel system is supposed to be fully sealed (more than most vehicles.) The fuel system is pressurized, any loss of pressurization due to a leak in the system should cause the fuel system pressure sensor to throw an error code, same as if you had a loose or defective fuel cap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you All for your comments.

- Jcanoe: They said my 2018 volt is not effected by that recall, but I will run a vin check to make sure. I will also preform your recommendation and call onstar to see if anything comes up.

-Barry: Thank you for your comments, I probably did accidentally miss-lead them as i told them i smell something on the passenger side, also, I told them that the leak could be negligible or evaporating into the air that's why you are not seeing any issues.

I understand this is difficult to spot because even if you go through the vehicle thoroughly and check all lines you could still miss the leak if its a small hole. But the dealership is not willing to do much work on it, they did a visual inspection and told me all is good.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To see it dripping it has to be pouring gasoline. Dealer is just being lazy with properly diagnosing gasoline leak if they only did a visual inspection. Are you sure it is gasoline leak though? Oil has gas mixed in it and actually when you smell oil filler it smells gasoline as well. Gasoline leak is a major emission failure and I cant imagine in 2018 it is not mandatory to monitor all kinds of gas leaks. It would throw a code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To see it dripping it has to be pouring gasoline. Dealer is just being lazy with properly diagnosing gasoline leak if they only did a visual inspection. Are you sure it is gasoline leak though? Oil has gas mixed in it and actually when you smell oil filler it smells gasoline as well. Gasoline leak is a major emission failure and I cant imagine in 2018 it is not mandatory to monitor all kinds of gas leaks. It would throw a code.
yes, i agree. I am just saying it smells like gas, but you are right, it could be any fluid. The dealership is refusing to do much work on it though since its passing visual inspection.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I experienced this with my 2016 lease I returned recently. Never noticed anything that would cause it, but definitely smelled gas fumes. The wife noticed it, too. It was pretty obvious. Hard to say when it started...maybe only after 2.5 years. 90% electric miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you do anything about it perhaps taken it to the dealership? Did it cause any problems down the line?

Thanks for sharing this. My garage smells like a gas station now a days.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would think a good shop would have some kind of gasoline fume detector that could zoom in on the source of the smell. I've seen refrigerant detectors like that for finding leaks in A/C systems. There must be some kind of sniffer for gas fumes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
FWIW, I used to be able to smell radiator fluid after I ran the ICE, but radiator fluid levels never changed much. Never had any added in 3yrs. Definitely not oil or gas fumes.

As an aside, my dad had a '64 ½ Mustang, that smelled awful. Gave me a headache growing up. I'm sure I killed more braincells having to sit next to that leaky fuel bladder than by any other means.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Did you do anything about it perhaps taken it to the dealership? Did it cause any problems down the line?

Thanks for sharing this. My garage smells like a gas station now a days.
We did nothing about it as it on the '16. Didn't have any issues from it that I'm aware of. I don't recall a pattern of smelling it at certain times. If the new '19 starts it I will have to investigate.

·
Registered
14 Posts

There was a service bulletin on the 2016/2017 Gen 2 Volt that involved installing a wrap or a bushing on the Volt's fuel system fuel recovery line. Evidently the fuel recovery line would rub against the frame/chassis and wear a hole in the recovery line. Then the line needed to be replaced (this was/is a long time consuming repair.) The wrap/bushing protected the line so it would not rub directly against the chassis. This repair also involved replacing or reprogramming a sensor in the fuel recovery system, clearing any codes. So if there are no codes logged (the dealer would have/should have checked the error log) it is probably something else.
I had a similar problem in our 2016 Gen 2. The dealership finally took notice when I could arrange taking the car to them and having them sit in the car to smell the fuel smell I was reporting. It took me weeks to to figure out how to reproduce the problem reliably - drive on ICE, shut off car, leave it for 5 minutes, restart - fumes would be noticeable in the cabin. It was a recall issue (perhaps the one mentioned above - I certainly remember it being a section of hose or connector under the hood that was replaced). Keep complaining - perhaps yours is the first of what will become many that prompt another recall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for this information Bgkiwi. I haven't driven the car since, it's just sitting outside of my garage. I dont want to deal with the smell nor deal with the dealership right now. I guess ill have to resume my calls and nagging soon to let them look at it more carefully.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts