GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up my tank yesterday for the first time and noticed a total Gas range of 313. I'm thinking it should be higher. What have others owner seen?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
657 Posts
My last full up showed 337

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Volt is the first car I have owned that heavily advertised the gas range. Look at most cars and they have a fuel gauge that ranges from Full to Empty in small ticks. They might also have a guestimate to range, but it is probably hidden away in the trip computer somewhere and no one ever uses it.

Both generations of Volt only have about 9 gallon gas tanks, these are very small gas tanks. A 300+ mile range is very impressive for maybe 8 gallons usable range. Just realize that the range estimate is based on your past driving conditions. Lots of short trips in town in the cold and it will be much lower than if you were driving many trips on highway at 50 mph.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't even worry about it. I just fill up when it says to. . . which is about once a month.

/Both my RAM and Tundra have range estimators on the main DIC. I don't pay attention to them either.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Filled up my tank yesterday for the first time and noticed a total Gas range of 313. I'm thinking it should be higher. What have others owner seen?
So it sounds like your getting around 35 mpg based on the cars guess-ometer, which is based on your driving habits. If you're really concerned about the mileage that your getting then sign up for voltstats and you'll be able to see why it is delivering that mileage.

After 4800 miles of driving, I get about 35 mpg also because my gas driving usually happens at the last 5 - 10 miles of my daily 60 mile commute. And those last 5-10 miles is when I'm driving up a small gradual rise in elevation of about 500 ft and I'm usually trying to hustle home, so I typically drive around 65 mph+.

On some longer trips on level freeway driving between Sacramento and San Francisco I gotten around 43 mpg while driving at 60-65 mph. Though I would love to get the advertised 42 mpg, I understand that my driving conditions and habits contribute to the lower 35mpg.

I think your ok if you drive fast or your driving conditions explain that. But I've seen other posts of this forum, where people reported the same numbers. Like I said signing up for volt stats on voltstats.net will help you better quantify and hopefully explain your mpg. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine says 319, and I just filled it up for the first time since I got it over a month ago. I've been getting about 36mpg.

My question is how low do people go before filling up the tank? How accurate is the fuel gauge when it says you're on vapors? Isn't it bad for the ICE to run it out of gas?

·
Registered
478 Posts
My question is how low do people go before filling up the tank? How accurate is the fuel gauge when it says you're on vapors? Isn't it bad for the ICE to run it out of gas?
1 - Around 1/3rd of a tank. I'm and Emergency Manager, and preach people to keep their tanks above 1/3rd.

2 - Not very. Twice I have filled up about 8 miles after the low fuel warning came on, and each time it took 7.9 gallons. So there's about 1.5 gallons of fuel when the warning comes on (about 50 miles, or about 16% of the total tank).
I hate that the range estimate goes away when the light comes on. The first time, I was in between towns when the light came on and didn't know if I would make it. I actually could have driven to the next state with the amount of fuel left in the tank.

3 - Probably not good. Engines and fuel system seals aren't designed to be dry.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
EPA on the 2016 Volt just on the gas engine is average MPG of 42. Why is it so much lower for some of our 2016 Volt forum members? Our 2014 Volt running on regular gas with this tank my wife filled up with is nearly 40 mpg just on the gas engine.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
That means you're a lead-foot. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
EPA on the 2016 Volt just on the gas engine is average MPG of 42. Why is it so much lower for some of our 2016 Volt forum members? Our 2014 Volt running on regular gas with this tank my wife filled up with is nearly 40 mpg just on the gas engine.
my average is between 42-48mpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure where I heard this, if it was at the dealership or one of the YouTube videos, the recommendation was to keep the gas tank at 1/3rd full for regular commutes. This helps reduce the weight of the car & gets your better efficiency. It also allows the gas to stay relatively fresh in the tank. But yeah there's a downside to this approach - more frequent visits to the gas station :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for those answers. I was only wondering because the car's data gives you false confidence if it's not that accurate. My previous car which I returned off lease in order to get the Volt, a Lexus hybrid, used to flash a low fuel warning when it had used 8.5gals of a 12 gallon tank!!! You could easily drive another 100 miles before filling up and still have 75 miles in the tank. It was annoying how inaccurate it was, always overstating your mileage by 2 to 3mpg. You got range anxiety because you'd be driving for ages with the fuel gauge below the "E". Then you'd fill up and find out you still had 2.5 gallons, and well over 100 miles in range.
1 - Around 1/3rd of a tank. I'm and Emergency Manager, and preach people to keep their tanks above 1/3rd.

2 - Not very. Twice I have filled up about 8 miles after the low fuel warning came on, and each time it took 7.9 gallons. So there's about 1.5 gallons of fuel when the warning comes on (about 50 miles, or about 16% of the total tank).
I hate that the range estimate goes away when the light comes on. The first time, I was in between towns when the light came on and didn't know if I would make it. I actually could have driven to the next state with the amount of fuel left in the tank.

3 - Probably not good. Engines and fuel system seals aren't designed to be dry.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Not sure where I heard this, if it was at the dealership or one of the YouTube videos, the recommendation was to keep the gas tank at 1/3rd full for regular commutes. This helps reduce the weight of the car & gets your better efficiency. It also allows the gas to stay relatively fresh in the tank. But yeah there's a downside to this approach - more frequent visits to the gas station :)
Seriously, how much does 6 gallons of gas weigh? Put a small child or a bag of dog food in the back and you have about the same weight. It's not going to make much difference with a several thousand pound car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lots of short trips in town in the cold and it will be much lower than if you were driving many trips on highway at 50 mph.
I think it is the opposite, lots of short trips will result in higher estimated range, because the energy loss is simply less.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Seriously, how much does 6 gallons of gas weigh?
36 lbs. I always found the "keep the fuel level low" idea silly. If you are that concerned about how much weight your Volt is hauling around go on a diet. I know I could stand to loose 36 lbs :)

Keith

·
Registered
19 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome advice that I hadn't even thought about. Although our commute is 38 miles one way to work, almost all of our driving is electric, because I charge for free at work on a 120V plug (10 hours at work at 12amps gets me almost a full charge most of the time). I've been so proud about keeping a full tank of gas on hand without having to tap into it, but I didn't realize that it's essentially dead weight that the motor has to carry along. I'm going to start keeping less gas in the tank.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
That's awesome advice that I hadn't even thought about. Although our commute is 38 miles one way to work, almost all of our driving is electric, because I charge for free at work on a 120V plug (10 hours at work at 12amps gets me almost a full charge most of the time). I've been so proud about keeping a full tank of gas on hand without having to tap into it, but I didn't realize that it's essentially dead weight that the motor has to carry along. I'm going to start keeping less gas in the tank.
Read fourdoor's post #16 just above yours, we're talking 36 pounds here. What will that save you in EV range, something like 3 or 4 feet? Yes, theoretically, the lighter you are, the better the EV range, but most of the weight of the metal, batteries, and materials dwarfs the weight of fuel in the fuel tank. Stop sweating the small stuff. Just driving the volt alone propels you beyond what a Prius can do for most people's commutes. Driving with an empty tank is like spitting into an ocean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do not pay close attention to the "guess-o-meters" on the electric or gas side. The system guesses your range based on your results from the previous tank or charge that you ran through. My first 3 fill-ups were under 300 and that freaked me out a bit, but now they are routinely above 320. If you really want to know how you are doing, take a look at the "info" screen under the "energy" icon as you are driving. It will show you your exact gas consumption and mpg in real time. When I first go into gas mode when the electric cuts out, the mpg starts out really low, presumably because the engine is warming up and being assisted by the electric motor. It may start as low as 28mpg or so, but then it builds up as I drive along - usually topping out at 42 or 43 mpg.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well, if your normal commute fits totally within your AER, then a full tank of gas is a liability both for its weight and its age. My 2014 Volt logged 12K miles in 18 months with only 23 gallons of gas used, and most of that was due to a few specific non-commute trips. I was more worried about the gas deteriorating since a whole tank could sit for a year. Having just a 1/3 tank made for a better "dilution/rejuvenation" ratio if I used a couple gallons and replaced them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts