GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cyber attack on pipeline.
Stations seeing long lines of panic buying, hoarding.
Stations running out of gas.
Prices shooting up.

If only I had a car that had two fuel sources! :)
Or did not need gas at all. :cool:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Cyber attack on pipeline.
Stations seeing long lines of panic buying, hoarding.
Stations running out of gas.
Prices shooting up.

If only I had a car that had two fuel sources! :)
Or did not need gas at all. :cool:
Too true. We are fortunate in owning Volts.:LOL:

Reactions: ace7010

·
Registered
98 Posts
Plugging in at night is so convenient and sooooo much better than going to the gas station. I had to go fill up our SUV this evening, lines were long and I sat there for 20+ minutes (haven't had to fill the SUV for 2 months because my wife takes the Volt to work since I'm working from home). To fill up the Volt, my wife drove into the garage and....plugged in (time = 10 seconds). Volts are so great!

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:oops: But as another recent news article reports, some people feel plugging in a car like the Volt or an EV like the Bolt is inconvenient. I think filling her up while I sleep is pretty easy.

Regardless, gas lines and shortages, ugh!

Reactions: microVOLT

·
Registered
806 Posts
If nothing else, the cyberattack shows how fragile the current gas infrastructure is. A Tesla being charged by solar panels really breaks that dependency.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If nothing else, the cyberattack shows how fragile the current gas infrastructure is. A Volt or Bolt being charged by solar panels really breaks that dependency.
Fixed it. :) But sure, a Tesla too...

Reactions: microVOLT

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
All you need is vegetable oil, methanol and mixing tank and you can make your own Diesel.

That's why the Finnish government has banned private alcohol distilling and imposed an additional fuel payment on home made Diesel. Methanol you can buy from shop, but the additional fuel payment will kill you. For N2G (like my ranger) that payment is 1000$ per day (sic), for normal car it's only 330$/day. If you have not made pre-announcement to government that you are going to use this fuel, the payment can be raised by 30-50%. In this case reverse calculation is used to determine how long you have been using it and how many days you need to pay for.

So you can easily make Diesel at home, but in Finland you'll pay about million per year to use it.

Or, you can be good citizen, shut the hell up, stop tax avoiding and go to gas station to fill up so that the government officials can travel to Nepal or some other country with your money.

EDIT: Just noticed a fault in the law. It is not in effect with electric vehicles! Therefore you can use electric vehicle and use a diesel generator to make the electricity (max 49.99kW since after that you get into the electricity tax law).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It's a good thing the electrical grid isn't run by computers.

Edit: just saw this
A video and image showing people storing gasoline in plastic bags were taken in Houston and Mexico in 2019, according to PolitiFact and Snopes
According to multiple fact-checkers, some viral content on social media showing people storing gasoline in plastic bags were taken in 2019. A video and a photo were mischaracterized as being taken following the cyberattack that shut down the Colonial Pipeline in May 2021, according to Snopes, Lead Stories and PolitiFact.

Reactions: 269983

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Uh, you're about four days too late with this news. Also, as already mentioned, this was an attack on a pipeline but could have easily been an attack on the electrical infrastructure. Greenies, so short sighted.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Picture on internet of Hummer burnt to the ground. Had just filled up with a number of gas cans in the back. The article mention only putting gas in approved gas cans but they looked like the usual approved red plastic gas cans. Yeah, electrical grid has to use computers too, not sure how the integral fail safe measures would work there or how big a section would be/could be knocked out.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
It's a good thing the electrical grid isn't run by computers.

Edit: just saw this
A video and image showing people storing gasoline in plastic bags were taken in Houston and Mexico in 2019, according to PolitiFact and Snopes
According to multiple fact-checkers, some viral content on social media showing people storing gasoline in plastic bags were taken in 2019. A video and a photo were mischaracterized as being taken following the cyberattack that shut down the Colonial Pipeline in May 2021, according to Snopes, Lead Stories and PolitiFact.
I believe that a programming bug contributed to the blackout of 2003.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Maybe it's the government trying to force people to seek alternative fuel source and for everyone to contribute electricity to the grid. Forcing everyone to have wind generators and solar panels. :sneaky:

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uh, you're about four days too late with this news. Also, as already mentioned, this was an attack on a pipeline but could have easily been an attack on the electrical infrastructure. Greenies, so short sighted.
The topic is not "too late", but thanks for the armchair quarterbacking. /s

Name calling seems to be part of your SOP.

Again, the Volt is dual fuel source. One can be a backup for the other.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The topic is not "too late", but thanks for the armchair quarterbacking. /s

Name calling seems to be part of your SOP.

Again, the Volt is dual fuel source. One can be a backup for the other.
The topic may not be not "too late" but your post certainly is. As for name calling why do you object to being called a greenie?

Again, your post is four days too late.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was only worried to get gas for my lawn tractor but even then I had a plan B. The volt? Nope as 90% of my driving is on battery and if I need to stay local so be it til this all cleans up...and lucky my grocery store round trip is just one full charge.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The topic may not be not "too late" but your post certainly is. As for name calling why do you object to being called a greenie?

Again, your post is four days too late.
"Too late" would mean we had a rule that requires all posts on topical matters to be posted within some arbitrary time frame. We don't so it isn't, but carp away with your negativity if it makes you feel better.

Interestingly, another member posted a new thread about this gas crisis a day after me. Feel free to go over and scold them for "being too late" as well, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts