GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit that my Volt has given me "gas anxiety". I find my self worrying about driving on long trips. Not because I am afraid of running out of power. I am anxious about driving on gasoline and messing up my statistics!

For example I really need to get up to Northern California and visit my friends. But... I am reluctant to put 1200 gasoline miles on my Volt. I am considering renting a car for the trip just so I don't mess up my "Volt Stats".

It's weird and irrational. But I have to admit it's a real anxiety.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have to admit that my Volt has given me "gas anxiety". I find my self worrying about driving on long trips. Not because I am afraid of running out of power. I am anxious about driving on gasoline and messing up my statistics!

For example I really need to get up to Northern California and visit my friends. But... I am reluctant to put 1200 gasoline miles on my Volt. I am considering renting a car for the trip just so I don't mess up my "Volt Stats".

It's weird and irrational. But I have to admit it's a real anxiety.
I have had my Volt for now 7 months and it has gotten better but still I have to confess that I hate to use gas, even sometimes catch myself using the onstar remote app to check on my wife so she does not use gas. :)

Seeing the $60 dollar fillup cost for or other car the other day does not help the situation, we need to get another VOLT......

·
Registered
438 Posts
I turned down the free gas that was part of the battery structure upgrade cause I didn't want to mess up my Volt Stats. So do not fear as you are not alone! ;)

I have no choice but to use the Volt though. Renting a car is far to expensive (almost $40 a day!) and our other car is a Leaf. So the Volt is the car of choice if we go out of town.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yes it's weird and irrational! LOL

Just take it. You'll use less gas than you would in the rental, it will cost less, and it will be a vastly more pleasant drive. One trip will "cure" you.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Well gas anxiety on a particular drive is good.. avoiding gas and being efficient.

With respect to the stats.. that is irrational unless you are going to rent a prius so you can get better MPG. At 40mpg on the highway its hard to beat the volt.. and if you don't drive the volt you cannot show it off to your friends.

Your stats will then reflect real reason one gets a volt EV every day and ICE when you need it. As someone not on the first page of voltstats any longer.. I'm still proud of my 165lifetime MPG (which is still climbing) but I've multiple longer trips in there.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You've got to show your Volt to your friends! They'd be bugging you about not bringing it up if you didn't.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I exhibit two related psychoses: (i) Full Tank Compulsion and (ii) Charge Seeking. I like the feeling of having a 100% full gas tank and then not using ANY for as long as I can (which for me is a hard problem as I need to drive 43 miles each way two or three times a week). Whenever I burn more than a gallon or so, I feel the urge to top-off. I don't know why. Totally irrational.

Relatedly (?) I often make decisions based on whether I can charge at my destination (even briefly and even if I would have plenty of charge to get home). Just yesterday, I was home at lunchtime and my wife wanted to go out for lunch. She suggested a place. I suggested the Whole Foods "cafeteria" (note: I am normally anti-Whole Foods). She agreed. When we pulled into the free charging spot there, she staged a mini intervention: "You and this damn car! Is THIS why we are here????"

This car is a fun toy and should be marketed as such.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I admit to those same irrational leanings. I have managed to remind myself why I bought the thing (using less gas) and just drive it when we need to go somewhere. I do drive much more efficiently now that I have the Volt, which is good. Despite quite a few long trips already, I'm still at 53% EV miles, 80 MPG, and 38 MPG in charge sustaining mode.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still have a bit more than half a tank of the original gas. Love telling admirers that I've been driving it 8 months, and have never bought gas. It will be a sad day when it decides it's time to burn up the original stuff and make me refill it with fresh.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My stats are really messed up. I bought the Volt in Texas, and by the time I got home in Ohio, there was over 4600 miles on the car. Using the Onstar remote link, my lifetime stats 43 MPG, 1073 EV Miles, 5150 Miles. I'm also using a app called aCar which keeps a lot of different statistics. 1 month 12 days total ownership. Total gal 121.58.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fulgurite

The first step is admitting you are having a problem

Of course most of us have the same addiction! It's so much fun to see both lifetime and tank mpg go up as you chalk up EV miles

For that reason, I take the Prius on any trips over 45 miles
It kills me because I loved the Pruis now it seems like a noisy prehistoric vehicle!!

Peace
Tom

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Shortly after I got the car I had to make a trip that would require me to use gas, I took my 12 to 14 MPG truck to avoid burning gas. I was between 1,400 to 1,500 MPG before I drove to NY. I am now at a lifetime average of 72 because of the NY trip but from now on the truck stays parked unless I need to haul something.

I got over my compulsion after the first month but will spend a few days this summer to try for a personal best when the weather gets hot.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yes it's weird and irrational! LOL

Just take it. You'll use less gas than you would in the rental, it will cost less, and it will be a vastly more pleasant drive. One trip will "cure" you.
I agree. I have to confess to all of the emotions Fulgerite is expressing. I think that it is all part of the Volt experience. But, when the time comes to go, I just bite the bullet and go, for all of the reasons you have mentioned.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Voltstats is great but not if your not representing true driving. Do not drive a gas guzzler so you wouldn't ruin your stats. Drive the Volt as intended. Save fuel screw stats! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just last night I probably gave several friends the wrong impression about the Volt because of my "No Gas" compulsion. I drove about 20 miles (freeway, air conditioning) to have dinner at a friend's house with several other friends. Not wanting to burn gas on the way home, I took along my 110V charger and plugged into an outdoor outlet at the house.

Apparently the outlet couldn't deliver the power required, and the charger kept shutting off, even at 8 amps. My friends saw me go outside several times, mess with the charger, and finally give up. As they were driving away, I was still there coiling up the charger and putting it in my trunk.

I'm sure they were thinking, "Interesting car, but so much trouble! I wouldn't want to have to go through all that hassle every time I drive!"

I'm afraid I'm a poor ambassador!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I try to go for least expense coupled with least amount of time. I did deliberately leave my Volt unhooked the night before I took it in to the dealer for the service notices. I figured why should I pay the buck to charge it when I could burn a 1/3 of a gallon of gas and have the dealer pay for it when they filled the tank.

Wal Mart, Walgreens, and City Halls have become my coupons for free miles. They all have free charging stations. So I do plan my trips so accordingly. I do not mind walking for a half an hour to get a free charge.

I figure I will never be competitive in the Volt stats. I would rise close to the top if they figured in the 3-5 thousand miles I put on my bicycle running errands and commuting.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I could care less what others think about my lifetime MPG (it's 64, with 42% EV driving, which is 11,824 EV miles). I still saved $4,400 (including electricity costs) over if I had instead put all the miles on my Yukon XL , and over $2k compared to the 4-cylinder Malibu my Volt replaces.

I am less worried about lifetime MPG than letting voltstats have access to my OnStar account. The car can be remotely unlocked, or worse if hacked. And as an FYI, I stupidly let linkedin use my email account to log me in, and it spammed 250 of my email contacts wanting them to connect to me via linkedin. My Volt salesman was one who connected, who, to tell you the truth, is about the last person I wanted - sales experience not all the bad or good, but dealer was chosen on availability, price at the time (with no surcharge over sticker), and being within 50 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same anxiety a year ago, but since then I've let me wife drive to her folks' house (360 mile round trip) a few times. Now that my stats aren't perfect, we worry a lot less about it. I have 4 drivers in my household, and whoever is dring the furthest distance in any given day gets to drive the Volt!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I now think my wife has the worst gas anxiety, 2 gallons over 5000+ miles, she was upset the dealer added back the 2 gallons on the battery enhancement. So the now when we go someplace needing a chance of a fuel burn, guess who is required to drive, me in the Red Rider. I did run it to Vegas and back so my lifetime is at 216 mpg, crawling back to the 250+ club.

Really both of us look at how few dollars have been sent to OPEC since we got the Volts. We talk about that alot with our friends and of course driving for free off the solar electrons. What a country to create such a car with all those possibilities. My buddy calls me the Power Pimp.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm traveling up to Lime Rock Park race track here in Connecticut on Monday. They want to shoot some photos of me and my Volt for their annual program's feature on Lime Rock spectators' cool cars.

This will be the longest trip I've taken with Sputnik and I'll be using a fair amount of gas. I've been averaging about 130 MPG over each week. But next week it looks like I've got this trip and two others into NYC that'll drop next week's average down to 73 MPG for that week. Yeah, I know -- boo freaking hoo! Just like a lot of other people, I hate messing up my stats.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts