GM Volt Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
OK, dumb question. Where does the microphone connector come apart?

Edit: Another question: On an LTZ, is there an always-on 12v wire in the harness (red maybe?) so the Volt doesn't have to be on? The power draw for seems miniscule - I couldn't measure it on my ammeter.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Installation complete! Ed, thanks so much for sharing this upgrade. The clicker was just a little annoyance, but with a car this great, why not move one more step toward perfection?

Thanks particularly for the warning to check the button motion. Once the button module fit in the hole, I still had to work on it quite a bit before all the buttons worked freely.

I ordered the kit on eBay for $133. He has more available at the moment. It was not in the original packaging, but everything looked new.

I ordered the gray but it came with all three colors. I like the gray best, even though it's not an exact match. The black button module is more obvious but otherwise looks fine, and it makes the black foam gasket invisible. If someone got the tan module and wants my black one, PM me with your address.

One question - how do you check the wires in the harness with a multimeter and a paper clip? I used a thin sewing needle into the wire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
One question - how do you check the wires in the harness with a multimeter and a paper clip? I used a thin sewing needle into the wire.
Glad my posts helped someone!

Insert the paperclip into the plug itself and connect the red lead of the DMM to it used alligator clip wires. Connect the black lead of the DMM to a known good ground. That is all. I might have some pictures lying around if you need them.

-Ed

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Hi All:

I have an extra GEN5 Homelink module available for anyone who needs it. Brand new in the box. Happy to help buyer personally over the phone/email (within reason- I'm not going teach you how to use tools, etc.) with the installation if needed. Asking what I paid... $165 with free shipping in the US.

Listing (with pic) here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...avy-s-installation-DIY)&p=2939337#post2939337

-Ed

·
4,888 Posts
No... it is correct.. the 2016s have the sensor at the top. In fact, all of my cars have had the sensor at the top. Do the 2015s have the sensor at the bottom?
The 2011-2015 Sensor is supposed to be at the top too, but a bunch of people flip it thinking it works better. *shrugs*

·
Registered
675 Posts
Insert the paperclip into the plug itself and connect the red lead of the DMM to it used alligator clip wires. Connect the black lead of the DMM to a known good ground. That is all. I might have some pictures lying around if you need them.
Oh, duh. I didn't even check to see if the needed wires went to the plug. I just tested them in the harness with a needle.

This Homelink module is fantastic. Some of my built-in openers in the past have had a short range. Some needed the button to be held down for several seconds. This one always works with just a momentary push and has a range of at least several hundred feet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had my GNTX 536 Homelink Auto Dimming mirror installed today. Easiest fix for GM's stupid idea of omitting it in their vehicles.

Rear-view mirror Technology Automotive mirror Electronic device Vehicle

-Steele

·
Registered
675 Posts
Does anyone want the black buttons that came in my Homelink set? They replace the tan ones, if you bought that color, or gray. I'm cleaning up and ready to throw them away. PM me.

Had my GNTX 536 Homelink Auto Dimming mirror installed today. Easiest fix for GM's stupid idea of omitting it in their vehicles.
plug and play in the premier mirror mount?
? +1. Could it have been that easy?

·
Registered
102 Posts
plug and play in the premier mirror mount?
Hi Wazubian,
While the mirror fit just fine, the electrical connector did not. I had to purchase the wiring kit separately ($15). The tech had my mirror installed in just 5 minutes. He said it was his first time installing one and didn't know what to expect, but said it was really easy. The mirror is only live when the car is on which I like as a security feature. He did say that he could make it always hot, but it would take about 20-30 minutes to run the appropriate wiring. I wasn't interested it having it always hot just incase I'm parked in my driveway and someone breaks in to the car and tries opening my garage. Better safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got my 2016 Volt(LTZ) and to my chagrin, no Homelink. I sent the dealer a link to your instructions. I lost my door opener, my present Volt has the Homelink. Can my 2014 Volt program the new one?
Incidentally, what a great service that you have provided.
What was GM thinking? This would be a good case study for business schools.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I just got my 2016 Volt(LTZ) and to my chagrin, no Homelink. I sent the dealer a link to your instructions. I lost my door opener, my present Volt has the Homelink. Can my 2014 Volt program the new one?
If I remember correctly, you have to get the working transmitter very close to the new transmitter that you are programming. It might be worth a try, but I doubt that you can get your 2014 close enough to the 2016 for this to work, (unless you can program it before installing it). You should be able to get a new portable transmitter at Home Depot or Lowes, program it to your opener, then use it to program your 2016.

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
You don't need the old car to program the new one. You garage door opener should have a learn button on it (you'll need a ladder to press it) then press and hold the homeliness button you want to program. If I remember correctly I had to try it a few times and learn to press and hold to get it to work, but I probably did something wrong a few times. The owners manual is useful in this situation

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You don't need the old car to program the new one. You garage door opener should have a learn button on it (you'll need a ladder to press it) then press and hold the homeliness button you want to program. If I remember correctly I had to try it a few times and learn to press and hold to get it to work, but I probably did something wrong a few times. The owners manual is useful in this situation
On my Genie Opener, the Volt transmitter must learn from a working transmitter first. Then the receiver "learns" the new transmitter.

·
Registered
77 Posts

View attachment 96121
-Steele
Got mine done today - works like a dream. My local Best Buy did the install for $25.00 - I got the brand new mirror ($30) and kit ($20)from ebay. Just really clueless as to why this isn't a GM option or standard???

·
Registered
320 Posts
Installed my homelink mirror today. Works great. While I was in there I installed new radar detector and HD DVR too. Ran an ignition power feed for radar and DVR, dimming mirror. And ran battery lead for homelink from dash fuse block.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just mounted my 50-GENK80A frameless auto-dimming mirror with homelink V5: http://www.mito-auto.com/index.php?...emart_product_id=193&virtuemart_category_id=9

Purchased for $100 on eBay used in excellent condition. The frameless design is very beautiful. I will be running wires tomorrow from micro2 add-a-circuits in the fuse box as I have an LT. I picked up fuse taps and harness parts from a local electronics store for about $8 rather than ordering pre-wired off eBay for $30. Hopefully the self-install goes smoothly tomorrow so I can share some daylight photos.

Vehicle Car Family car Rear-view mirror Sport utility vehicle

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.