GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 was one of the first of the G2 volts off the line back in 2015 ( and a front runner for many of the early G2 issues) and thus my 5 year maintenance cycle is probable one of the first.

I took the car in to the dealer and they did:
1 ) engine coolant flush
2) brake fluid change
3) transmission fluid change
4) oil change ( just because it was due)

Total bill was just over $700.

Of interesting note is that they did not change the battery coolant system fluid, even though it’s listed as part of the 5 year items. I questioned the tech on this and he said he tested the fluid, pressure tested the system and just topped it off, no need to change the fluid because it does not see the same extreme temperatures and wear and tear as the engine coolant. When I asked how much it costs to change it anyway they said it’s a 2 visit process and $414. Did some research on the forum for G1 cars and saw similar posts and comments.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Changing the battery coolant is a longer time frame because they have to run the circulating pump for a length of time as they vacuum the coolant and suck in new coolant to eliminate any air bubbles. They can do this by using car battery, I presume because they used the last half of my battery when they did mine. Didn't bother to charge it back up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Several people here have posted that their Volt tech recommended against the change. Upon reading Tesla's "Y" maintenance schedule, they list the battery coolant as a lifetime item that doesn't need changed. I wonder what they are using that's different (if any).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts