GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/07/global-electric-vehicle-exec-doug-parks-appointed-as-gm-vice-president-of-product-programs/
In a major structural move that eliminates an entire layer of management and 20 executive positions, General Motors‘ entire product development department is being overhauled, and executive director and group vehicle line executive for electric cars and former Chevy Volt vehicle line executive, Doug Parks, has been promoted to the newly created position of Vice President of Product Programs.

Under Parks will be a single chief engineer from each program reporting to him. The previous setup consisted of a vehicle line executive, vehicle line director and vehicle chief engineer...

The people I know who have worked with Parks describe him as a no nonsense, get the job done type of guy, who is not afraid to call out a subordinate or a peer. The promotion does speak to the success of the Volt as well as, Parks' performance. The flattening of management structure is also a good thing.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've owned 7 "General" products, and 2 Ford products. My wife owned imports until I got her behind the wheel of an American-brand. I will say this, I always called the General, "first to announce, last to launch." They always have great ideas, great prototypes, but foreigners always took their thoughs and turned out the product first. The Leaf is no exception. Good for GM to cut launch time - keep the quality, cut the time to market.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't know much about the car business but if they're eliminating 2 executive positions in every program and 20 overall, then that means they'll be 10 programs and Parks will have 10 direct reports. That's a fair number of reports. If he has other reports then this will be a challenge.

1,214 Posts
Thanks James, your Business perspective pieces, here in this space are priceless-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts