GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My 2017 Volt is still in Hamtramck awaiting shipment. (Side note: Why don't they have any ice cubes in Hamtramck? Because someone stole the tray.)

Anyway, I like changing my own oil and I've become particularly fond of Fumoto drain valves, which work by attaching a tube to the valve, flicking a switch on the valve, and draining the oil directly into the one gallon milk jugs that my city picks up. No secondary containment, no tools, no mess. And no gloves (until you change the filter). This brief video explains how to install and use the valve.

It looks like the 2016 Volt takes either the F-106 or F-106S Fumoto Valve. Has anyone purchased either valve? Any problems? Any preference? Here's the Amazon link for the F-106 valve.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi,

My 2017 Volt is still in Hamtramck awaiting shipment. (Side note: Why don't they have any ice cubes in Hamtramck? Because someone stole the tray.)

Anyway, I like changing my own oil and I've become particularly fond of Fumoto drain valves, which permit the user to attach a tube to the valve, flick a switch on the valve, and cleanly drain the oil directly into the one gallon milk jugs that the city picks up. No secondary containment, no gloves needed (until you change the filter).

It looks like the 2016 Volt takes either the F-106 or F-106S Fumoto Valve. Has anyone purchased either valve? Any problems? Any preference?

Thanks,

Robert
Used one on a car, three cars ago. Very convenient and makes for a less messy operation. It was on a diesel, which was a big driveway saver.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Most people do oil changes every 2 years. How often are you going to get to 'enjoy' this valve? ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most people do oil changes every 2 years.
Wow! I had no idea. I figured the maintenance schedule would be X miles or six months, whichever comes first. Is that not the case? I do have a L2 Clipper Creek charger at home, my driving is almost always limited to sub 50 mile round trips, and my annual mileage is around 6k.

·
Administrator
19,970 Posts
I figured the maintenance schedule would be X miles or six months, whichever comes first. Is that not the case?
Look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't gotten my hands on my volt yet, but from underbody pics I saw a while back -- isn't there a large tray covering access to the entire engine bay from below?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Wow! I had no idea. I figured the maintenance schedule would be X miles or six months, whichever comes first. Is that not the case?
How often you have to change the oil depends on how much you run the engine. Unlike other vehicles, you may end up not running the engine at all, and if that's the case why would you need to change the oil?

The Volt keeps track of engine usage and tells you when its time to change the oil. And if the engine never runs it will eventually ask you to change it after a couple of years so that it doesn't go "stale".

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Wow! I had no idea. I figured the maintenance schedule would be X miles or six months, whichever comes first. Is that not the case? I do have a L2 Clipper Creek charger at home, my driving is almost always limited to sub 50 mile round trips, and my annual mileage is around 6k.
With your usage pattern it will be 2 years.
Even people who use a ton of engine are probably still going to be >1 year
The computer keeps track of it all and alerts you when you need to service.

Owners manuals are available online in PDF - no need to wait for your car to get one in the glove box
Have a read through while waiting for it to arrive and you'll be an expert before even sitting in it :)

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
You don't have to wait for the one in the glove box. You can find it on line too.

Go to the "owners" section on the Chevrolet web site. You will have to make do with a 2016 though, because the 2017 isn't listed yet.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Two years later... I did not have any luck with the F106 Fumoto valve, shown in gold below. It appears to have more threads per inch.
20 - 16 = 2? You must be outside the US. Where did you see a recommendation of the F106 for the 2017? The Fumoto website shows F107SX -- 12mm w 1.75mm pitch. The F106 is 14mm w 1.5 pitch. And why did you create a new account?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts