GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At over 43k miles, my 2012 Volt EV mileage dropped by about 5 miles overnight (now 37, was 46 summer and 41 winter). The cause seems to be that if the fan is on at any level, the accessory usage jumps to about 30% from zero (used to be around 6% with the fan on), even in Eco mode with nothing on. The only way to get my usual 41-46 EV miles is with the fan off. It seems like turning the fan on also activates the heater (accessory usage drops slowly as the desired temperature is reduced). Has anyone encountered this problem?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know why you are just now experiencing this. Others, myself included, have noticed this (I have a 2014). I understand that in colder temperature, even "fan only" will energize the heat.

I haven't delved into this deeply myself, however there are other threads where this is discussed. Take a look around these forums.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
At over 43k miles, my 2012 Volt EV mileage dropped by about 5 miles overnight (now 37, was 46 summer and 41 winter). The cause seems to be that if the fan is on at any level, the accessory usage jumps to about 30% from zero (used to be around 6% with the fan on), even in Eco mode with nothing on. The only way to get my usual 41-46 EV miles is with the fan off. It seems like turning the fan on also activates the heater (accessory usage drops slowly as the desired temperature is reduced). Has anyone encountered this problem?
If you did not buy your Volt new and this is your first winter with it, then welcome to the club. If you have had it since it was new and this is the first time you have noticed this, It must be nice waking up in a new world everyday. :)

But to answer your question, everyone that has a Volt and lives in colder climates experiences this "problem." Happens in the hot summers too, but not to the same extent. I would not say it is a problem though. It is just normal operation. The same is true of an ICE only vehicle. So for summer I guess you could ask a question of folks with an ICE only vehicle running the AC, have you ever had the problem of your MPG going down in the summer?

Anyway, the forum is full of threads, information, and experiences of Volt owners in the winter months.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Check to see if you have the auto defrost set
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-32649.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
The only way to get my usual 41-46 EV miles is with the fan off. It seems like turning the fan on also activates the heater (accessory usage drops slowly as the desired temperature is reduced). Has anyone encountered this problem?
In my '12 Volt I run the fan only with no heat every time I drive in cold weather to keep the windshield and windows from fogging up. The drop in your EV range is from the heater coming on, but the heater should not come on with fan only. Are you using "Auto recirc"? I think that kicks the heater on in fan only, try using "Normal recirc" What are the outdoor air temps where you are driving?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts