GM Volt Forum banner

Full tank?

3852 15
I expect to be buying a new Volt sometime in June. Most of my driving is going to be in town and I don't have a commute as I work from home (semi-retired). So, the only time I would be using gas is if I plan a trip out of town (other than the engine maintenance mode). It seems a waste to me to be carrying around the extra weight of a full tank of fuel. How much fuel do you keep in your tank if you will not be using gas for extended periods?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Best to keep some gas in the tank. My driving is similar and usually I keep between 2-3 gallons. Those 2 to 3 gallons last for months. I've own the car since September and only filled up the tank 3 times usually for trips over 200 miles.

Good Luck on your new volt.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
I expect to be buying a new Volt sometime in June. Most of my driving is going to be in town and I don't have a commute as I work from home (semi-retired). So, the only time I would be using gas is if I plan a trip out of town (other than the engine maintenance mode). It seems a waste to me to be carrying around the extra weight of a full tank of fuel. How much fuel do you keep in your tank if you will not be using gas for extended periods?
Greetings,

Since gasoline is said to weigh 6.073/gallon, 9.3 gallons would be 56.4789 lbs. Sounds like the weight of a 2nd or 3rd grade child to me - not much.

Given that the vehicle comes with a full tank at delivery, use it until it runs down to 2 gallons left and drive with a smile on your face as you pass your neighbors at fueling stops. :) The low fuel warning is annoying past about 1.5 gallons left.

· Registered
78 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in battery range or gas mileage with the extra weight of a full tank. As said above, it's not that much weight. It's nice to know that I have a full tank of gas ready to go when I deplete my battery. Besides, it never fails to be an inconvenient time to have to stop and fill the tank (even though it is not often) when I let the gas tank run almost empty, the battery is depleted and I need the ICE to go on a longer drive than normal. I used more gas in the winter and filled up about a week ago probably for the last time until mid to late summer. I will slowly peck away at the gas as I need it and will not have to worry about stopping to get any for a very long time now. I say fill it and don't look back!

· Registered
689 Posts
Tell the dealer not to fill up the tank. You should only keep 2 to 3 Gallons in the tank, if you do not plan on needing gas for the next 4+ months. Otherwise you will be forced to use 50% of the amount left when the gas expires.
Each engine maintenance (every 6 Weeks if not used) uses 0.07 gallons of gas. This will take you a long time to get to 2 gallons used.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in battery range or gas mileage with the extra weight of a full tank. As said above, it's not that much weight. !
It isn't about weight it's all about keeping fresh fuel in the tank. If I was still living in NY and had to stand outside in freezing weather to pump I would think differently but it doesn't get cold here in SC and it is hard to drive more than 2 miles without passing a gas station.

I am giving my car to my neighbor so I am filling up the tank because I don't want to give him my car with an empty tank. Last year the Volt sat in the driveway plugged in for about two months without moving. This time I am letting some get some use out of the car. It is on a 3 year 36,000 lease and only has less than 11,000 in 18 months. It's better to have someone enjoy using the car than give it back with a lot of unused miles.

· Registered
4,014 Posts
I used to keep them full but after a year of not using it if forces a burn of the old fuel. Now we put like $15 to $20 in when the tank is really low, actually giving the low fuel warning in the DIC. That will allow us to drive more fully electric but if we need to we can add some as needed.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Tell the dealer not to fill up the tank. You should only keep 2 to 3 Gallons in the tank, if you do not plan on needing gas for the next 4+ months. Otherwise you will be forced to use 50% of the amount left when the gas expires.
Each engine maintenance (every 6 Weeks if not used) uses 0.07 gallons of gas. This will take you a long time to get to 2 gallons used.
What? Turn down a free full tank of gas? Seems a bit extreme to me. There are advantages to a full tank. Emergencies when the power goes out, less open volume for evaporation, not having to drive with the gas needed light on.

· Registered
689 Posts
I am on 4.5 months with my 2013 Volt and have used 1.5 gallons of dealer supplied gas and have driven just about 4,700 miles. Currently over 3,000 MPG with 90.57 MPGe. Almost all of the gas used was due to ERDLT and engine maintenance. I am glad the weather is warming up the New York City area and no more ERTDLT's. I will end up being forced to burn off the gas, because of age, since I believe I will not use 7.75 gallons of gas before it expires. I guess a good problem to have, but I would prefer not to use the gas, if I do not need to, but my normal weekday commute is 42 Miles and I have made home on all EV even on cold winter days. Now that it is warming up I managed to see an estimated range of 49 miles, when I started my Volt this morning.

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Sounds like its time to take a road trip.

· Registered
734 Posts
Personally, I don't worry about it.

I do not think anyone has done any official experiments on this, but I am sure that your EV range will be much more dramatically impacted by driving technique, terrain and temperature. You could maximize your range by minimizing the weight (less gas in the tank), but you could also only drive on warm days on flat terrain avoiding traffic lights and never going over 35 MPH, but what is the fun in that.

I recommend that you just enjoy your Volt!

· Registered
1,054 Posts
What? Turn down a free full tank of gas? Seems a bit extreme to me. There are advantages to a full tank. Emergencies when the power goes out, less open volume for evaporation, not having to drive with the gas needed light on.
There ain't no such thing as a free full tank of gas. Someone, somewhere (likely you) already paid for it. Take it and drive happy.

The worst thing that will happen is that you'll have to do some fuel maintenance mode burns that screw up your stats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.