GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why isn't it possible to have a full size suv with the vold technology? I still have a wife two kids & a dog. I'm not parting with any of them so I need all the vehicle I can get.

Trains/railroad companies have been using this technology for decades because it's extreamly efficient. So why can't we have a full size car or truck with the same results?

I know this can be done & will buy one as soon as they are available.

BDP

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
BDP,

I feel for you, as I am in the same exact boat. Plus we like to camp. That is too many bodies and stuff for anything except a "larger" SUV type of vehicle.

I would like GM to build an E-flex (minus the generator) assessory "trailer", full battery pack and electric motor, to attach to our future Volt type of vehicle to haul stuff. In this configuration, it wouldn't be asking the Volt to pull it along. Seems like it would not be difficult to have the trailer more or less drive itself after being plugged into the Volt computer. Wouldn't be cheap, but you would not need a separate truck, and you only carry it around with you when you need it.

I believe what you and I need will be coming along in a few years, along with some well-styled E-flex cars. GM just has to satisfy the people who would rather drive electric hairballs first. To these folks its all about mpg and mpc, nothing else is important. Can't waste those valuable electrons on what a normal family might need, you know.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Well, GM is trying to entice buyers of their current SUV's with mild hybrid options, but those sales aren't substantial as yet. I believe they always thought that they would transition the Volt tech to their more profitable vehicles from Cadillac and GMC, but now I suppose they have much more incentive to make those transitions sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Big Red

Thanks for the link, that's what I'm looking for! It can obviously be done so lets "GitRDone" as one of my favorite comedians would say!

I'm not a treee hugger, I just hate sending those B*&^%$#@ in the middle east any of my "Green"!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I predict a huge retrofit market for SUV hybrid drive conversions. There is just too much valuable vehicle structure out there and too much demand for a full-size SUV to scrap it all. I'm not sure exactly how it would be done, but never underestimate the engineering genius of the backyard mechanics who pioneer most creative retrofits.

Most current SUV's have way better aerodynamics than the H3, so Honest Tom's E-REV SUV Sales and Conversions (their policy - one-year's free electricity to the first 100 customers) should do a booming business.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Since I go camping in N. New Mexico and Colorado with a 3,500 lb trailer, I am interested in a full size electric SUV. I also want 4 wheel drive, 80+ mpg, and 600 - 800 ft lbs of torque. And I expect to get it by 2015 (if not before). Right now though GM needs to get it's feet under them on the basic design. A large SUV will be one of the first things out the door though because people like them. There are some things they need to do first though.

Better motors:

The 3 phase AC motor needs to go. There is a new type of motor that has the advantages of the AC and rare earth variants. Get them into the car.

Better gas milage:

The 50 - 60 mpg in gas mode needs improvement. Not difficult, but requires time and effort. A simple way to the 100 mpg range is convert the liquid gasoline to vapor before injecting it into the cylinder (think Coleman stove). Fuel burns a lot more efficiently (and cleanly). Not quite as clean as natural gas, but close.

All wheel drive:

Work the bugs out on something simpler than a 4,500 - 6,000 truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was a plug-in electric Toyota SUV, but production of that has been stopped (last time I looked), but unlike GM which destroyed their first test fleet of the Volt, Toyota sold them to the people who tested them.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/rav4evetic.html

So it is really possible...

GM at one time dabbled with the idea too. I wondered what happened to it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15952199/
What I want to know is what are the results? Has this been built and proven. From the article I gathered that this was being built and that everything was speculative. Has anybody heard anything about the finished product? Is it real or did it turn out to be hot air?

·
Registered
812 Posts
The volt's lithium batteries are still too expensive to be realistically scaled up to a larger vehicle, or so GM says. The RAV4EV's batteries were much more economical, but they are now controlled by Chevron who keep them small and expensive (prius batteries.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The volt's lithium batteries are still too expensive to be realistically scaled up to a larger vehicle, or so GM says. The RAV4EV's batteries were much more economical, but they are now controlled by Chevron who keep them small and expensive (prius batteries.)
For the initial versions of an SUV, don't worry about battery only operation. Do a pure serial hybrid with only enough battery to 'smooth' energy demand. Because of the extra load due to towing requirements, you might need a 'two speed' engine. Sizing a battery for a long slow grade with 5,000 lbs in tow would seem to be pretty insane. Your basic NiMH should work fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why isn't it possible to have a full size suv with the vold technology? I still have a wife two kids & a dog. I'm not parting with any of them so I need all the vehicle I can get.
Unless you are really fat, you should fit in a Volt. Having said that, my gues is that a full sized SUV with Volt like series hybrid will exist eventually. It;s my guess that if the batteries were cheap enough, they might have done that first, seeing how the extra weight and space would be less of a consideration in a SUV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you are really fat, you should fit in a Volt. Having said that, my gues is that a full sized SUV with Volt like series hybrid will exist eventually. It;s my guess that if the batteries were cheap enough, they might have done that first, seeing how the extra weight and space would be less of a consideration in a SUV.
:) No fatso's here just a lot of people & stuff I'm not willing to part with! I want the most because I believe it's possible NOW!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
sure

sure it's possible now, but at what cost. Heck take 3 or 4 volt batteries and upsize all of the other components and bingo, but do you want to sell your house to afford it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok.

sure it's possible now, but at what cost. Heck take 3 or 4 volt batteries and upsize all of the other components and bingo, but do you want to sell your house to afford it?
I'll gladly pay through the nose for a vehicle which keeps my fuel dollars from people whom I disagree with. :)

The truth for me is this-

The fridge is full, house is paid for & a stocked liquor cabinet. Add an electric vehicle. Well, that's just..................Priceless!!:)

·
Registered
812 Posts
What I want to know is what are the results? Has this been built and proven. From the article I gathered that this was being built and that everything was speculative. Has anybody heard anything about the finished product? Is it real or did it turn out to be hot air?
A few hundred RAV4EVs were built and sold in california, for the relatively low price of 42,000 (total cost before tax incentives etc). Over 100 miles of all electric range and the battery apparently lasts over 100,000 miles (Jason might disagree but I haven't seen his data yet).

The product is very very real but Chevron (who owns the rights to the batteries) sued Toyota and shut down their EV production. You can still lease one from EV clubs in california if you're lucky.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A few hundred RAV4EVs were built and sold in california, for the relatively low price of 42,000 (total cost before tax incentives etc). Over 100 miles of all electric range and the battery apparently lasts over 100,000 miles (Jason might disagree but I haven't seen his data yet).

The product is very very real but Chevron (who owns the rights to the batteries) sued Toyota and shut down their EV production. You can still lease one from EV clubs in california if you're lucky.
I messed up. I was talking about the 60mpg Hummer.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

I know the RavEV4 was a real SUV that had a 120 mile range. I also know about GM selling the rights to large format batteries to Chevron. What was GM thinking.They didn't want the EV technology to be public so that smashed all the EV1s. I guess as insurance that nobody else would build EVs they sold the best battery technology at the time to an oil company. I guess from a business stand point it made perfect sense.

Oh well that's the past and hopefully GM will right itself with the Volt. I personally need something less than $30,000 and a 60 mile range.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Couldn't have made very much business sense or they wouldn't be in the deep hole they are right now. I've felt for many years that the only way a serial hybrid would be built is by a major car company that was neck deep in brown smelly stuff. Pretty much seem to have nailed that prediction. Oh to be the fly on the wall in some meetings at GM....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts