GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 volt with 500km310mi. I live in Ontario and currently the weather fluctuates from -5 to +5. 23 to 41 Driving technique is +2.7. Is this a problem or will my range go up with the weather.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a 2017 volt with 500km310mi. I live in Ontario and currently the weather fluctuates from -5 to +5. 23 to 41 Driving technique is +2.7. Is this a problem or will my range go up with the weather.
Until the temperature gets above 60 *F for me, I usually get mid-40s EV range. Essentially any time the coolant heater has to be active (which could be just to warm up the battery even if you have the cabin heater off) your range will drop drastically because it draws up to 7 kW constantly until the coolant is warm enough.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You're not even 20% below the rated 53 miles. Temps could easily lower the range of the battery up to 30%, not including the effect of snow tires, and sloppy roads.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Sounds about right. Pretty close to what I'm getting in my 2017. In the summer I normally get over 100 to 110kms EV range. So yes in good weather your range will significantly improve. Also of note watch your tire pressures. Recommended is 36 psi. But the tires can take up to 44psi. In the summer I normally run about 40psi cold.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It drops when it's cold. It goes farther when you go slow. Even farther when it's warm. Don't worry, when summer comes you'll feel better that you don't have some lemon. It's' just part of EV ownership.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I finally figured out that the "23 to 41" is the range converted to degrees F. What does the rest mean?
I think the "driving technique" number is some metric that the 2017 model year provides on a fourth tab in the energy screen. The 2016s don't have it (hence why I'm guessing).

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Cold weather saps the range from ANY EV. A bunch of little things can add up quickly and greatly reduce the range. Things like:

1. Did you pre-condition before heading out
2. HVAC Settings, try Eco, Auto at 74 degrees
3. Make sure tire pressures are set to at least 38 PSI when COLD
4. Use seat and steering wheel heaters vs HVAC if possible
5. Short stop and go trips will really reduce your range as you lose cabin heat and have to replace it.

And of course SPEED KILLS, EV Range.

Come this spring you'll be amazed at how far you will go on a charge, it's almost a like a different car.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Cold weather saps the range from ANY EV. A bunch of little things can add up quickly and greatly reduce the range. Things like:

1. Did you pre-condition before heading out
2. HVAC Settings, try Eco, Auto at 74 degrees
3. Make sure tire pressures are set to at least 38 PSI when COLD
4. Use seat and steering wheel heaters vs HVAC if possible
5. Short stop and go trips will really reduce your range as you lose cabin heat and have to replace it with each stop.

And of course SPEED KILLS, EV Range.

Come this spring you'll be amazed at how far you will go on a charge, it's almost a like a different car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
For Gen 1, GM once announced that EV range would vary from 25 to 50 miles. In My Gen 1 2013, I get well over the EPA estimate of 38 miles if I average my EV range for one year.

Maybe they should put out a similar announcement for 2nd Gen Volt as well .. "Range for Gen 2 Volts can vary from 40 to 65 miles"

·
Registered
292 Posts
As a first time ev buyer I was a bit disappointed in the cold weather range. While I knew it would be less, I didn't realize how much less. I think the epa should have a cold weather test and provide that as a minimum range for ev's. They should also list range at 75 mph since that is a legal speed limit. IMHO Putting out a number that is only for good weather and slow driving will hurt ev sales when they start to go mainstream.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
As a first time ev buyer I was a bit disappointed in the cold weather range. While I knew it would be less, I didn't realize how much less. I think the epa should have a cold weather test and provide that as a minimum range for ev's. They should also list range at 75 mph since that is a legal speed limit. IMHO Putting out a number that is only for good weather and slow driving will hurt ev sales when they start to go mainstream.
How is this any different than buying a vette and being disappointed at the horrendous fuel mileage at 120 MPH? Or seeing your mileage drop when winter mix fuel is pumped into the tank? Sure it's not as dramatic, but it's all there. I for one don't want to see more EPA ratings. We have to take them with a grain of salt anyway. Remember the Prius plug-in fiasco? Toyota listed 11 miles of EV range when it was only 6 miles of pure EV and 11 miles of blended Ev and gas. Manufacturers game the system anyway, making cars that do great at 65 MPH (or whatever the testing calls for) when we all know 70-75 is the normal range that people drive. if manufacturers optimized for reality, we'd probably save many more millions of gallons of oil rather than try to hit this artificial number that was the speed limit in the 70s (before they dropped it to 55, then raised it, then release states to all specify their own).

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's already been mentioned briefly in this thread, but this also bears repeating: winter tires will also have a significant impact on range, easily 10-20%. I'm in Ontario as well and my 2012 Volt is currently getting 36-40km on a charge; that includes winter tires and regular use of HVAC on the Eco setting, as well as windshield defroster use. In the summer on all-season tires, it averages around 50-60km per charge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Agree 100%. Great suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Ottawa ON where the weather can be quite cold in the winter. In the summer I got close to 80 K on the battery but in the winter I am getting about 60K- heating the car takes a fair bit of the battery power. Now when it goes below -10 C, the ICE starts to supplement the heating. Have a 2017 Volt delivered June 30th 2016 with about 8600 K on the odometer

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2017 LT has (top) drive technique bar that tops out at 5.0.Apart from terrain/climate control/(ambient)temperature effect bars,I expect driving technique bar is independent of others.
Regards--Don

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2017 LT has the driving technique bar at top of screen,max 5.0,which should be independent of other bars(terrain/climate controls/ambient temperature).

·
Registered
3 Posts
To the OP: Don't feel bad - I live in Southern California - I've had my Volt for almost a month & I'm getting 41-46 miles per charge. Best I've ever gotten (one time) is 49. Not sure it's a symptom of something wrong, but just waiting to see if it improves over time. In fairness, I do a lot of freeway driving at SoCal speeds of 70-75 MPH - I know that has an impact....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts