GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its below 25 degrees, my battery was fully charged. Started car, engine came on right away, drove down the street, downhill all the way and had it in "L". As I let off the accelerator, the engine started reving way up even though it had only been on a few seconds.

Does regen feed back to the motor/gen if the battery is full?

I believe this happened once during the summer, but the engine was off, I just didn't slow down from regening. Was back to normal after a few miles.

I could really use an RPM Gauge and an Engine Temp Gauge...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Regen could make the two EV motors resist each other but I don't believe it can feedback, nor would EV feedback make the engine move to high RPM. I wonder if having a set throttle, and very full battery if the regen resisting required decoupling the ICE, allowing the ICE to rev high as there was almost no load on it.

Well now that we are making progress on Torque/OBDII, getting an RPM and temp meter is pretty cheap.
(And it also can give instant kW, motor Kw...)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a SCANGAUGE II connected and it really screwed up the Volts data stream or something. Car died, a week in the shop. I've not connected it up since then.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I had a SCANGAUGE II connected and it really screwed up the Volts data stream or something. Car died, a week in the shop. I've not connected it up since then.
Yep.. I remember your posts.. been very careful what commands I put on the bus and how much data I send..
Been using torque for logging hundres of Pids for weeks now.. no problems at all.

·
8,680 Posts
Its below 25 degrees, my battery was fully charged. Started car, engine came on right away, drove down the street, downhill all the way and had it in "L". As I let off the accelerator, the engine started reving way up even though it had only been on a few seconds.

Does regen feed back to the motor/gen if the battery is full?

I believe this happened once during the summer, but the engine was off, I just didn't slow down from regening. Was back to normal after a few miles.

I could really use an RPM Gauge and an Engine Temp Gauge...
How fast were you driving at the time? I've never seen the engine cross-linked into power split below 25, and it generally won't initiate the linkage below 35-40. Without more info, my guess so far is that the end of the part throttle warmup at 1400 rpm happened at a weird time, and the transition to normal series hybrid operation is what you heard.

Remember, it'd take a fair amount of regen to balance the 6.5 kW draw of the electric heater...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How fast were you driving at the time? I've never seen the engine cross-linked into power split below 25, and it generally won't initiate the linkage below 35-40. Without more info, my guess so far is that the end of the part throttle warmup at 1400 rpm happened at a weird time, and the transition to normal series hybrid operation is what you heard.

Remember, it'd take a fair amount of regen to balance the 6.5 kW draw of the electric heater...
I was just cruising downhill to a stop sign, so maybe 20 MPH. It happened about half a minute into my drive. As soon as I pulled it out of "L" the engine idled down to what I believe it was before regen started. There was another time, I was at work, batt fully charged and the engine wasn't on, but in "L" it did not regen as it normally would. I assumed the battery was too full to accept anything more. After a mile or so, it acted normally.

The engine rev'ing up has happened almost on a daily basis. I'll see if pulling it out of regen early stops the over rev, maybe see what effect just braking has....

Interesting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts