GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2018 Volt on Nov 18 with 5 miles . Back in shop on Nov 20 with 12 miles for bad battery cell #3 (1 of 3 batteries in car). Back in shop on Nov 30 with 100 miles for bad battery cell #2. We are dealing with Chevy corporate and BBB right now.

My question is how many miles do others get on each full charge? We never had the charge say more then 45 miles. (usually says 41 - 43) When we drive with no fan/ac/radio etc we still get less then the amount of the charge.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
Bad batteries aside, the guessometer is more of a measure of predicted driving habits through weather and terrain conditions based on recent driving than an actual measure of battery capacity. Gen 2 owners can get anywhere from 45-65 miles on the dash. And you can easily make it lower by driving like Jeff Gordon or higher by driving like a grandpa.

You should see better range with good batteries. Don’t be one of those people driving with no fan/ac/radio. Life’s too short - enjoy the ride.

My gen1 got 21 miles of EV range today, but it’s bitterly cold and I use the cabin and seat heaters.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
We purchased a 2018 Volt on Nov 18 with 5 miles . Back in shop on Nov 20 with 12 miles for bad battery cell #3 (1 of 3 batteries in car). Back in shop on Nov 30 with 100 miles for bad battery cell #2. We are dealing with Chevy corporate and BBB right now.

My question is how many miles do others get on each full charge? We never had the charge say more then 45 miles. (usually says 41 - 43) When we drive with no fan/ac/radio etc we still get less then the amount of the charge.
The two key factors in EV range comes down to two things. These are how fast you normally drive and your use of the electric heat. Other things can effect your EV range but with much less impact. If your daily drive includes highway use at 65 MPH+ well there you go, that is why your estimated EV range is not higher. If you use the electric heat on MAX to stay warm, no reason not to do that, you can lose as much as 1/3rd to 1/2 of your EV range heating the cabin. You can control/limit both of these parameters if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
452 Posts
During winter months it will charge to about 45 miles. During summer I've had a high of 68. Mine is a 2017. Later RJD

·
1,027 Posts
I'd be talking to the service manager about a goodwill replacement from GM. That's just too much for a new car. My 2015 volt never operated properly after I waited 3 month for them to rip the whole farking car apart before replacing the battery. So much was missed up, misinstalled and just overall poor communication. My radio was farked, my floor,as never made it back and my windows were down for three months in fl under plastic wrap that didn't keep the water out. Car smelled of mold and dead frogs and lizard trapped inside. My door was dented and in the end I drove home only to get the service high voltage error as soon as I plugged it in.

I ended up going full hog lemon law. The BBB is useless. Send the paperwork you are required to, don't let them offer a settlement, or cancel arbitration while you are driving there, make the arbitrator look at the car. Run their bill up. Make it clear they are replacing the car or refunding you. If you curse out the BBB they'll just close your file you wait the 40 days they are required to respond and then ask the state AG to come in and they don't mess around. You'll get an offer too, they'll cancel because you got an offer, reject it. Go to arbitration with a lawyer if necessary and make sure you get everything owed to you dictated to them by the board. GM cant weasel out of that. You'll then get a very reasonable offer and your choice of a full refund, expenses, legal fees and lost time. If you want to really go for blood then get a lawyer to bring a MMWA suit against GM as its federal and the state lemon law arbitration boards have no jurisdiction over them. Get triple damages. You'll probably need a good lawyer for that.

Anyways good luck, been there done that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2018 Volt Battery charge

I am new 2018 Volt owner. Actually a very unhappy one.

I had 2 of the 3 battery cells go bad before had 70 miles and owned only 3 weeks. I have Corporate/BBB involved.

I have never had a full battery charge of even 50 (dealers says 53). After we do a full charge the dash says 41-43.

If we drive with no a/c, heat and drive 30-40 on a charge or if we drive 70mph most of the charge it stills says 41-43.

I live in Orange County, CA so it is really not that cold here.

Do any of you get consistently higher numbers after a charge?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

I had 2 of the 3 battery cells go bad before had 70 miles and owned only 3 weeks. I have Corporate/BBB involved.

I have never had a full battery charge of even 50 (dealers says 53). After we do a full charge the dash says 41-43.

If we drive with no a/c, heat and drive 30-40 on a charge or if we drive 70mph most of the charge it stills says 41-43.

So what codes did it display when you contacted Onstar??

How does it still charge with bad cells?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

You're going to have a dozen people tell you not to believe the range guess-o-meter. It will adjust to your driving and give you a more reliable reading after you have had the car for a while.

What do you mean by 'two of the three' battery cells?

If you do have a battery problem you have seven years and eleven months of warranty left on it. There should be no need to involve 'Corporate/BBB' .

·
Registered
790 Posts
I saw this when it was first posted yesterday and I was curious about it. First - I am assuming the OP meant bad cells in two or three battery sections. Second, range will vary based on driving style and needs time to properly calibrate. If the OP only drove 70 miles, and those were high speed highway mileage, it's very possible the range would be in the 40s.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If something is wrong with a Volt that new, get it fixed, on warranty. Insist on another Volt to use as a loaner. Let them have as much time as they need to fix the issue, you will be racking up miles on their loaner not your own car. Also what are the error codes?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Maybe you can hook up with some local Volt owners and compare vehicles. I did this back in 2012 when I bought my first Volt. Turns out I hooked up with a fellow Volt owner over in St Louis, we arranged to meet for coffee and he brought 4 other Volt owners. Then we wound up at one of the other owners homes who had just installed a Lvl II EVSE.

That meeting dispelled all my concerns, answered all my questions and taught me all sorts of things I didn know. I have now owned 3 Volt's since March 2012.

So my advice to you since you live in an area oozing with EV's and Volt's in general is to search FB for a local Volt group, join the group and arrange for a "meet and greet". I bet all your questions will be answered and you'll meet some nice folks.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,475 Posts
dwarnerm,
I'm sure most of us would be paranoid if we had your experience with 2 of 3 battery sections failing within the first 70 miles of driving. However, you've got to quit thinking of the car giving you miles of travel. At any given time, what the meter is saying is, "Based on your recent driving history, and with your current battery charge level, you are projected to achieve the following number of EV miles. Your actual miles could range anywhere from 50-150% of this value, depending on your driving style."

MV has some hilly sections. If your travels take you through some of these areas, you can expect them to take a toll. You can mitigate their effect by not trying to accelerate uphill, etc. You say you get approximately the same 45 mile forecast even if you drive significant miles at 70 mph; that tells me your battery is PROBABLY fine. Speeds over 60 mph will hurt EV miles, and anything over 70 absolutely kills your mileage. I seldom use the HOV lane unless I'm in HOLD mode on a longish trip exceeding EV range.

FYI, although I didn't buy there (for good reasons), I've had good service experiences at Simpson Chevrolet in Lake Forest.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
please don't double post

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

Highway EPA range is 49 miles. 53 is combined.

My '17 car said 43 miles on the Guess-o-meter on Friday, but by keeping my freeway speed down, I drove from Riverside County, to Orange County, and back, a total of 58.3 miles round trip. I arrived back at work with 1.7 kWh remaining (used 12.3 kWh).

You do not have "3" battery cells. It won't drive with a truly failed cell or module.

I can dust the Gen2 battery ('16-'18) in under 20 miles if I desire. I can hit >70 miles as well.

We see a lot of folk in the same situation as you. First visit and post on this site, and the battery is hosed in the first month.
We also see a lot of folk with long time Volt experience setting incredible EV range numbers, or going over 100,000 miles on the battery.

There have been very, very, very few Volt traction battery failures with documentation.

Take a picture of your service slip, and maybe we can figure out what is really wrong with your car.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
As many have already pointed out, the battery display is an estimate of the number of miles you will get based on past driving history. There are many factors that will negatively affect your driving range: speeds over 60 mph, jack-rabbit starts and stops, low or under-inflated tires, rain, snow, hills, blasting the heater, cold weather, fan on max. Some of these will will affect range more than others. Combine them all for a perfect storm.

By the way, all of these affect mpg in gas cars as well. It's just that most gas cars don't try to estimate how many miles you can drive with a full tank of gas, so you are not aware of it like you are in a Volt.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
38 Posts
Highway EPA range is 49 miles. 53 is combined.

My '17 car said 43 miles on the Guess-o-meter on Friday, but by keeping my freeway speed down, I drove from Riverside County, to Orange County, and back, a total of 58.3 miles round trip. I arrived back at work with 1.7 kWh remaining (used 12.3 kWh).

You do not have "3" battery cells. It won't drive with a truly failed cell or module.

I can dust the Gen2 battery ('16-'18) in under 20 miles if I desire. I can hit >70 miles as well.

We see a lot of folk in the same situation as you. First visit and post on this site, and the battery is hosed in the first month.
We also see a lot of folk with long time Volt experience setting incredible EV range numbers, or going over 100,000 miles on the battery.

There have been very, very, very few Volt traction battery failures with documentation.

Take a picture of your service slip, and maybe we can figure out what is really wrong with your car.
Since OP has not responded, I'm wondering if it was really a defective unit or user error. I can guarantee that most people do NOT read the entire 400+ page manual two or three times in the first week as I did...or ever (and yet I STILL missed the fact that there are volume control paddles behind the right side of the steering wheel!). They're certainly not getting any instruction or hints from most Chevy dealers, unless they happen to find one with a serious EV-savvy salesperson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts