GM Volt Forum banner

Fuel system flushing / maintenance

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
Im about to go in for my 37500 service. While scheduling it, I asked the service adviser what all was involved. Of all the things that were recommended, the flushing of the fuel system for $150 really stood out. Ive been working on cars for all my life and I generally keep cars until 300k miles or more. The only time Ive ever flushed or otherwise performed major maintenance to the a fuel system is after a fuel pump failure, load of bad gas, or get tons of water in the gas. And in that case, I generally install a new filter and flush fresh fuel through the system and out the test port or return line. Then again, consider the unique fuel system in the Volt and that I drive mine 90% EV, is it needed?

#4 ·
Please note that most dealers will OVER recommend unnecessary servicing. As shown above you probably do NOT need anything done unless the Oil Service Indicator states OTHERWISE and you really feel the need to rotate your tires (most of the time this is unnecessary).

#8 · (Edited)
In the Gen1 engine port injection keeps the valves clean through the repeated spraying of gasoline on them.

In the Gen2 engine, the gasoline is sprayed directly into the cylinders, bypassing the intake valve stems. Over time, the stems and heads get coked from the EGR functioning. This coking needs to be removed through a maintenance "intake cleaning process, where a special chemical is applied via a special machine to the engine’s intake system, to wipe out deposits."

So, Gen1 engines are self-cleaning. Gen2 engines need special maintenance.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsnews/1467491-auto-advice-3-tips-to-keep-direct-injection-clean

Edit: My dealer recommended the cleaning procedure for my Gen1 last year. I pointed out that my engine was self-cleaning and that that would be occurring during my up-coming cross-country road trip and that the Gen2 engines were DI and would need that maintenance. I never got to the point of asking how much they were going to charge for that maintenance.

#9 ·
Note that in most DI engines, such carbon build-up does not generally occur at the "problem level" until at least 75,000 miles. And those are full ICE engines. I can't imaging the Volt needing anything like that for at least 100,000 miles. But YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.