GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past (not in a Volt), I've used Techron Fuel System Cleaner (Link) religiously and have swarn that it extended the life of vehicles. Does anyone have input on whether it would be wise to use such a product in a Volt where the gas is premium, sits for extended periods of time, and is in a pressurized tank? I cannot think of any downsides to using this product, but wanted to throw it out there for discussion prior to diving it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It seems to me that there's little need or benefit from "extending the life" of the vehicle (engine) if it runs so little that it's sitting for extended periods of time.
Back a couple of decades ago it seemed as if the new fuel injectors could use some additive to keep them clean but I haven't seen any fuel related issues with any of my cars for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't see where there is any downside to using these types of products, especially with the same gas sometimes staying in the tank for a year or more. With alcohol added to fuel it isn't a good situation, even with a pressurized tank. After all what is added to the tank to maintain that pressure? I can only think of air as the available gas to use, the car carries no nitrogen, argon or other inert gas. Do what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't see where there is any downside to using these types of products, especially with the same gas sometimes staying in the tank for a year or more. With alcohol added to fuel it isn't a good situation, even with a pressurized tank. After all what is added to the tank to maintain that pressure? I can only think of air as the available gas to use, the car carries no nitrogen, argon or other inert gas. Do what makes you comfortable.
I would be concerned about the impact of proprietary additives on non-metallic components in the fuel system.

KNS

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
GM actually recommends top tier fuel for the Volt. If I remember right see page 9-57 or there about in the owners manual.

·
Registered
741 Posts
In the past (not in a Volt), I've used Techron Fuel System Cleaner (Link) religiously and have swarn that it extended the life of vehicles. Does anyone have input on whether it would be wise to use such a product in a Volt where the gas is premium, sits for extended periods of time, and is in a pressurized tank? I cannot think of any downsides to using this product, but wanted to throw it out there for discussion prior to diving it. Thanks!
Ok, Techron is the best. Really. Back in the 80's, all car manufacturers had problems with carbon deposits on the backs of intake valves. These deposits, when heavy would cause severe driveability problems when the car was cold to warming up. When hot, there were ok. Volkswagen and other European would highly recommend Techron to remove the deposits. It would take a couple of bottles, maybe more. Trouble is that it works best under hard acceleration and hot, or at least we were told that. That is to remove deposits. It only takes a little to keep them from forming. When Techron wouldn't remove them, we took the intake manifold off and blasted the valves clean with walnut shells. Fairly expensive but better than a head removal. If you use Chevron gas, it always comes with Techron (they own it). Or it use to.

But the carbon deposit problem was resolved with different means eventually. And on the Volt, it wouldnt be very effective to remove deposits since you have no control over the engine. For the most part, it is probably not money well spent to pour big bottles in the tank. If you have a Chevron, look at pump and if it still claims Techron, just use the gas and forget adding extra. In general, I dont use additives unless you are trying to fix a driveability problem.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Read your owners manual for details on gasoline. If you use the recommended gasoline, there is no need for additives.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I always run top tier fuel in my car and believe fuel injector cleaners are useless with today's gas and may do more harm then good. I have the same view on dry gas too, lol. There already loads of alcohol in the gas as it is so why add more with fuel injector cleaner and dry gas

·
Registered
85 Posts
all that garyg said should be considered good and true advice. simple fact is you dont need it, dont use it. worked for chevron for 8 years in the 80's and techron is a good additive but today like garyg states a small amount in the gas is enough to do the job in todays cars. shell has similar additives and they tout it as "nitrogen added" or something like that. the only thing i did to my volt when i bought it was put 3/4 of a can of bg moa in the crankcase, and nothing else. cheers jay

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chevron

all that garyg said should be considered good and true advice. simple fact is you dont need it, dont use it. worked for chevron for 8 years in the 80's and techron is a good additive but today like garyg states a small amount in the gas is enough to do the job in todays cars. shell has similar additives and they tout it as "nitrogen added" or something like that. the only thing i did to my volt when i bought it was put 3/4 of a can of bg moa in the crankcase, and nothing else. cheers jay
I agree, I've used Chevron in most of my cars and will continue with my new volt. It costs about 5 cents more but I won't be using much now.. They have it down to a science and know how much to add to each gallon.

Matt

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I agree, I've used Chevron in most of my cars and will continue with my new volt. It costs about 5 cents more but I won't be using much now.. They have it down to a science and know how much to add to each gallon.

Matt
I also mostly use Chevron . The prices are about the same as the other stations and it already includes Techron . I have been using a tank of 87 octane every 4-6 weeks with great results .

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I also mostly use Chevron . The prices are about the same as the other stations and it already includes Techron . I have been using a tank of 87 octane every 4-6 weeks with great results .
I take it there is no issues in using regular gas in your Volt. I think that as long as you use a tank of gas every 6 weeks or
so the regular grade gas does not have a chance to go stale. I have heard that premimum gas has a longer shelve life than regular.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Techron is good stuff. When my Audis would start idling poorly, running a container or two through the fuel system smoothed things out. That being said, it's unlikely to be needed with the Volt. First, its engine never idles. Cold engine + idling = deposits. Second, crud built up around the throttle plate has noticeable effects only when the throttle is nearly closed. Again, not a problem with the Volt.

More generally, DI engines don't wash the intake valves with fuel, so additives will do nothing to help them.

Techron or other cleaner-type additives do not help in preserving old fuel, BTW. One would want a fuel stabilizer for that. "Stabil" is the most well-known.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I take it there is no issues in using regular gas in your Volt. I think that as long as you use a tank of gas every 6 weeks or
so the regular grade gas does not have a chance to go stale. I have heard that premimum gas has a longer shelve life than regular.
That seems about right . My wife takes 65 mile trips that frequently use fuel . As long as the engine has a chance to warm up , I always get more than 20 miles per 0.5 gallon of fuel . One time I burned more than a full gallon @ 48.8 mpg .

I may switch to 92 octane for the next couple of months because high temperatures can affect performance and I want to see if there is any difference in fuel economy . I did this same check a year ago , but the economy has since improved , so a second comparison is needed .

Supposedly , higher octane equals better MPG . However , last year's results showed 3% better fuel economy with the lower octane . The difference is still within margin of error and it's very difficult to exactly duplicate every factor .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts