GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Recently drove our G2 a long trip from Oregon to California and back. We had ~6000 miles on it at the time. While filling the tank for the 5th time during that trip I smelled gas inside the cabin (hadn't smelled it on any previous refuelings). Now, periodically while driving (more often after a short stop for eg grocery shopping) I notice a fuel smell coming through the vents. It doesn't last very long. I took it in, but dealer didn't smell it so now I'm working on a reliable way to replicate the problem before I take it back. Meanwhile - has anybody else had a similar problem and already figured out where the fuel leak is? It must be quite small, but real close to the air intake...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Recently drove our G2 a long trip from Oregon to California and back. We had ~6000 miles on it at the time. While filling the tank for the 5th time during that trip I smelled gas inside the cabin (hadn't smelled it on any previous refuelings). Now, periodically while driving (more often after a short stop for eg grocery shopping) I notice a fuel smell coming through the vents. It doesn't last very long. I took it in, but dealer didn't smell it so now I'm working on a reliable way to replicate the problem before I take it back. Meanwhile - has anybody else had a similar problem and already figured out where the fuel leak is? It must be quite small, but real close to the air intake...
If you were running the heater or vents while driving with ICE then you may get a burning smell described as electrical or burn popcorn but I haven't seen anyone report of a gas smell. Many like myself have seen that odor disappear after driving about 2000 miles or so using ICE. But this may not be your case. WOP posted this info the other day on another smell related thread where he said there is a bulletin for the issue described above. Here the link.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?208745-Burning-smell-after-drive-with-gas&p=3338401#post3338401

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Are you by any chance trying to "top off" the fuel when filling up?

This could lead to overflowing the gas tank vent canister and gas fumes getting somewhere into the car.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Are you by any chance trying to "top off" the fuel when filling up?

This could lead to overflowing the gas tank vent canister and gas fumes getting somewhere into the car.
Many folks continue pumping gas into the tank when the nozzle automatically shuts off. You are supposed to STOP right there and not try to squeeze in any more gas. I watched a guy in an F-150 do that and he must have pulled the trigger at least 10 times after it shut off. I tried to tell him that was bad and the extra fuel would wind in in the evaporative canister and never used by the engine and he looked at me like I had lobsters growing out of my ears.

·
4,851 Posts
Only time I smell something in my Volt is in instances where I stop and the engine continues to run (usually if the engine came on very recently, or for ERDTT). In these cases I smell exhaust (not fuel) through the vents, which I claim is due to the muffler pipe's orientation that helps hide it from view (it also lets the fumes waft under the car when stopped)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Make sure the rear hatch is closing and sealing properly. Can draw in fumes when you are moving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll mention the bulletin to the dealer next time I'm there - it can't hurt to get a cabin filter with charcoal in it.
The "new car burning off coatings" smell was gone quite soon after we bought the car - my daily commute includes up to 10 ICE miles so the engine gets regular but limited use. It has also had periodic extended ICE miles - the OR>CA>OR trip being the most extensive. We have driven a bit over 3000 ICE miles, of the 8000-odd miles we've done in the car.
Refueling seldom includes "top-offs", although 3 refuelings prior to the smell problem starting the attendant did top-off. Is that delay too large to make it the culprit? Where is the canister relative to the vent intakes?
The smell we have is definitely unburnt fuel - not plastic, not exhaust, not engine coatings.
I think the trunk seal is pretty good. I drive a very dusty road to get to work, and there is a lot of fine dust built up around the outside of the seal and no evidence of dust leaking in. Ditto for the door seals.
I appreciate your ideas, and look forward to more!

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a bulletin out on this concern 16-na-136 for a poorly made flex fuel hose. also 16-na-127 for smells when driving at hwy speeds to install a charcoal cabin filter in at no charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem, after driving more than an hour with gas engine, then parked for half an hour. Started in electric mode, and had gas smell from vents. Dealer can't duplicate it.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There is a bulletin out on this concern 16-na-136 for a poorly made flex fuel hose. also 16-na-127 for smells when driving at hwy speeds to install a charcoal cabin filter in at no charge.
Utilizing bulletin # 16-NA-136 to inspect for a potential fuel line leak should be what the dealer is initially doing for this issue.
There is a date code on the fuel line to assist in identifying it as potentially defective.
WOT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got this solved this week but still have to drive the car some more to be sure. It was a tricky one, because it would happen at seemingly random times - when I knew I had been running on battery, but perhaps the engine was running for heating/cooling the battery etc (nice that the engine is so quiet that you usually can't actually tell when it's running). Also, the stopping for a short while and re-starting again (especially after running on gas) is key to duplicating the problem.
The answer is indeed contained in the bulletin mentioned by avoltechgm - there were (according to the guys at the dealership) three days when this faulty fuel line part were used on the assembly line. There was apparently a faulty crimp holding on an end fitting. Replaced under warranty of course.
There is a site where you can check for bulletins yourself (or at least see the bulletin name for free)
https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-manual/book/2016/chevrolet/volt/8766138_100304247.html
At this site I see a couple of others that may relate to the intermittent problem we have with the audio not working, and the fuel efficiency numbers not displaying. These things are always solved by turning off the car, and turning it back on again (standard tech support solution for every computer problem), so the urgency to get it fixed hasn't been there. Now I know it's a recognized problem... I'm all over it :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Got this solved this week but still have to drive the car some more to be sure. It was a tricky one, because it would happen at seemingly random times - when I knew I had been running on battery, but perhaps the engine was running for heating/cooling the battery etc (nice that the engine is so quiet that you usually can't actually tell when it's running). Also, the stopping for a short while and re-starting again (especially after running on gas) is key to duplicating the problem.
The answer is indeed contained in the bulletin mentioned by avoltechgm - there were (according to the guys at the dealership) three days when this faulty fuel line part were used on the assembly line. There was apparently a faulty crimp holding on an end fitting. Replaced under warranty of course.
There is a site where you can check for bulletins yourself (or at least see the bulletin name for free)
https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-manual/book/2016/chevrolet/volt/8766138_100304247.html
At this site I see a couple of others that may relate to the intermittent problem we have with the audio not working, and the fuel efficiency numbers not displaying. These things are always solved by turning off the car, and turning it back on again (standard tech support solution for every computer problem), so the urgency to get it fixed hasn't been there. Now I know it's a recognized problem... I'm all over it :)
Yes due to the fact that this issue is created by such a small supply of fuel lines (manufactured over only 3-days) it may not affect all that many cars. So hopefully we wont hear of too many other cases here.
In any case you may have noticed I have altered your thread title to include the bulletin and "stickied" the thread in the "issues" forum (as I have been doing regularly as owners report bulletin related Gen2 symptoms here on gm-volt.com)

WOT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do You Know when Bulletin 16-na-136 was issued? I noticed the fuel smell in the cabin starting in Feb '16 at around 2,500 miles since new. On 4 March '16 took car to dealer, who said they couldn't find anything, but did the 32340 reprogram for rough idle, which hadn't been a problem. This week, 24 May, took car back again. Told dealer about 16-na-136. They finally "discovered" the bulletin and said they would order the part. Said they had to keep the car because it was unsafe to drive. Today, 27 May, the part is in. Service rep said GM didn't anticipate the number of cars affected, hence the three-day wait for the new fuel pipe. All is well, there is no fuel smell. (so far) Thanks to avolttechgm and wot for your info about the service bulletin!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bulletin came out on April 28. Our fuel smell problem started around 6000 miles/4 months from new. Not sure if the 1000 + mile trip we did on primarily ICE triggered it, or if we were just lucky it wasn't happening from day one.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Further to this issue GM has decided to issue #40240: Product Emission campaign - Fuel Feed Pipe Crimp Out of Specification
affecting CERTAIN 2016 model Volts.

If you have any indications of a fuel odor or just want to be sure,

you can call your dealer or Volt advisor with your VIN to determine of this recall campaign affects your Volt

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Recall for MY 2016

I got the letter in the mail yesterday.

GM Recall #:

NHTSA #

Date Issued:
Jul 07, 2016

Recall Title:
Fuel Feed Pipe Crimp Out of Specification
Recall Description:

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2016 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. These vehicles may have out-of-specification crimps on the front under hood flexible fuel feed pipe. Fuel may weep from these connections and the fuel odor may enter the cabin.

Repair Description:

Inspect the fuel feed pipe and manufacture date. If there is indication of weeping or the pipe manufacture date falls into the suspect date range, replace the fuel feed pipe.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Took mine in for the recall today and the dealer said mine is showing that there are 3 other recalls incomplete. The seat rail, The chuggle and Engine not available message. So I left it there took a loaner [2016 Cruze base] and will post results later. I also showed the tech the half assed repair I made to the coolant hose that was mentioned on here to be rubbing on the engine housing.

UPDATE: Fuel pipe crimp not necessary after inspection of date code on part. Seat track not needed okay. Chuggle reprogrammed ECM per recall. Engine not available message, reprogramed power inverter module. Back home all is well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts