GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I went to the dealer and he recommended this service: Fuel Injection and throttle body service for $160. He explained it as using some fluid to power wash the throttle for the engine to get rid of deposits. This seems to go with the spark plug replacement. I haven't seen it on the maintenance section of the user's manual. Do I need it or is it just something that the dealer came up with? I wonder if Volt as a high grade gasoline car would even need it.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Hi all,
I went to the dealer and he recommended this service: Fuel Injection and throttle body service for $160. He explained it as using some fluid to power wash the throttle for the engine to get rid of deposits. This seems to go with the spark plug replacement. I haven't seen it on the maintenance section of the user's manual. Do I need it or is it just something that the dealer came up with? I wonder if Volt as a high grade gasoline car would even need it.
I'd pass. Sounds like it is just a pure profit opportunity for the dealer.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Agree. This is a typical way for dealers to pad their invoice. It is not on the service schedule. What's more, many Volts dont even run their engines that much. Can't wait for a Bolt owner to be offered that service. It will happen...

·
Registered
679 Posts
A total waste of money! Top Tier gas does much the same thing...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You can do the same thing for a lot less. Stop by your favorite auto parts store and pick up the Chevron brand fuel injector cleaning agent. Put a bottle in your gas tank, fill the tank, and then run the tank empty.

Unless there is a specific problem with your ICE not running smoothly you don't need to do this.

(PS: The GM cleaner is Chevron's cleaner just rebranded)

·
Administrator
21,119 Posts
Always refer to your owner's manual service schedule. If it's not listed, you likely don't need it.

There was a "pure nitrogen for your tires" scam going around a few years ago, maybe still is.

Regular air is 78% nitrogen. So 100% must be "better" because the nitrogen molecules are larger. Therefore, your tires will stay inflated longer because the nitrogen will take longer to leak through that hole filled sieve you call a rubber tire than oxygen would. And you know, race cars use it (where $ are no object).

So, you should pay the dealer for nitrogen fill ups.

Besides the dubious actual real life benefit, how would you even know whether they simply used regular air instead, especially for just a top-off? You wouldn't. Besides, it's not like they will create an air vacuum in your tire to suck out the air and replace it with nitrogen. Nope, if they actually do use nitrogen you'll simply change the mixture to maybe 79% nitrogen instead of 78%, lol.

When I first brought my Volt in they recommended I have the automatic transmission fluid changed, haha. I asked them to show me in the owner's manual maintenance schedule where that was even mentioned. They quickly moon-walked that one back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts