GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still don't have my tax credit on my 2014 Volt purchased in June of 2014. The car is nice, but this has made the entire experience pretty crappy.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
I can understand being unhappy with an IRS screw-up. The budget for the IRS continues to get cut, cut, cut. So with fewer people doing more, we should all expect that there will be more IRS screw-ups and that they take longer to resolve.

The car is not to blame.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trollbait?

So why would you hate the Volt based on a govt screw-up? If you really hate it, sell it. Take the loss and move on.

Be frustrated with the govt, they rarely do anything well. The entire tax credit deal was bungled, pretty much a giveaway to the upper middle class and above. Lower earners did not benefit at all.

btw, Our credits went just fine, pretty straightforward IRS forms as those things go.

Love the Volt, GM did a fantastic job with the car.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Trollbait?

So why would you hate the Volt based on a govt screw-up? If you really hate it, sell it. Take the loss and move on.

Be frustrated with the govt, they rarely do anything well. The entire tax credit deal was bungled, pretty much a giveaway to the upper middle class and above. Lower earners did not benefit at all.

btw, Our credits went just fine, pretty straightforward IRS forms as those things go.

Love the Volt, GM did a fantastic job with the car.
x2

OP is drinking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
testing this forum. I hate my 2014 Volt. IRS is still auditing my credit

To test this forum you post 'hate your volt because of a tax screw up'. Strange. It's kind of like .. I hate my dog because work screwed up my paycheck this week ?? Happy holidays and good luck with your test.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
What the OP failed to mention is they never completed the IRS tax credit paperwork and simply expected the IRS to mind read. Or, they purchased a used 2014 and are therefore not eligible. Or, they did not make enough income to qualify for the full tax credit. There may be other reasons the OP is having tax credit issues, we simply don't know since the OP provided zero details or supporting documents. Maybe they do taxes the same way? :)

So you can see why it's the car's fault...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If only GM would send updates to the cars computer.

Then the OP would be happy.

BTW.... I bought 2 volts, and the IRS gave me my credit as promised.... Of course, I followed the rules, but..............

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some are so confused about the purpose of the tax credit. It was to promote the sale of battery powered cars. The purpose was not to benefit any particular consumer income group.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i read the op's post a few times now and i still don't see where he is blaming the car. he said he's frustrated and went on to say it was with the tax credit. we don't know why he hasn't received it and that was all i got out of it. where did he say it was the cars fault?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i read the op's post a few times now and i still don't see where he is blaming the car. he said he's frustrated and went on to say it was with the tax credit. we don't know why he hasn't received it and that was all i got out of it. where did he say it was the cars fault?
testing this forum. I hate my 2014 Volt. IRS is still auditing my credit
"I hate my 2014 Volt." Clear enough for you?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
All I got to say is, if Chevy screws up my tax credit, I'm gonna get mad and post something here. So there!
Go ahead. Chevy isn't handling your tax credit. Not sure if that's making it through the fog of your war. We can only try to explain it to you. You have to do your part too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IRS Form 8936 and the manufacturer's certification

The car is the entirety of the experience. When I purchased the car I figured the overall cost and tax credit included. Also the dealership I bought it at closed, likely part of GM closing some dealerships.

In the future I hope to provide a thorough explanation of what went wrong. I'm going to rant now...

There are major errors in how the IRS is interpreting the IRC 30D. General Motors has so far not been willing to send me the "IRS letter acknowledging the certification." When being audited the IRS eventually sends a cookie cutter response from the Internal Revenue manual. They ask for a copy of the manufacturer's certification which legally has absolutely nothing to do with the Manufacturer certificate of origin. I have a Title and it's impossible to get a copy of the MCO - the IRS erroneously accepts this sometimes but there is very little basis for that outside of it provides a subset of the "certification" Content.

They could ask for a copy of the Acknowledgement of Certification letter from the manufacture as mentions in Form 8936 Instructions. But I'd guess no purchaser or IRS examiner has ever seen a copy of this letter. But instead the IRS examiner requests for the actually certification. That "certification" documentation resides with the IRS not the manufacturer.

Over and over in the IRS Notice 2009-89 states that the purchaser can rely on the manufacturer's certification; which should be the Qualified vehicle list. But the Internal Revenue Manual completely ignores this.

Most of this can't be brought up in a audit because it would require a change to the IRM. The examiner technically can't go against the IRM recommendations without a formal process to evaluate and change the IRM - it hasn't happened and won't.

So, you are left with a crap shoot and sending in random documentation.

Also the US treasury sent out a directive to audit e-filed and paper electric vehicle credits. I e-filed; the IRS suspiciously said they received a blank form even though I have a completed copy of my submitted form that I downloaded. It is very unlikely that only the Form 8936 was blank without the system being either intentionally or negligently setup that way. It's more likely it is just an excuse, and in order to follow the Treasury directive the IRS requires a system code (because Treasury directive doesn't have a code) to trigger the audit.

I had my Texas state rebate in a matter of weeks. Their department was amazing with questions. I even called them last week trying to get some records to support my IRS audit and the were extremely courteous and helpful.

The car is nice to drive, but it's not right for me. Some of you clearly don't understand the frustration of dealing with the IRS.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I did not file any MCO/MSO document. I am the "first owner" as specified by law. I didn't have to prove that either, so I don't know how you'd do that. My first place to look would be the DMV as you've done. They would have the titling documentation which would include the MCO/MSO that would have been sent by the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks, Mister Dave. "first owner" isn't an issue. You can call the General Motors Volt - Electric Vehicle Advisor Team (866) 754-8100 and they can look up your vin to determine that it has never been place in as a Demo or Never been registered.

The problem is with the IRS. They aren't contesting that it was purchased new. They ask for:

“You will need to provide a copy of the vehicle manufacturer certification that shows credit eligibility. The certification would have been provided by the dealer upon purchase of the vehicle.”

The examiner pulls this almost directly from the Internal Revenue Manual except that they added the dealer part. If you get audited, there are only about 3 IRS codes the examiner can pull from. This is the primary one; and it is flat out wrong. Which make every decision the IRS makes arbitrary. Unless you get lucky and they accept your documentation, you would be forced to bring this up in Tax court. That is a heavy burden placed on the purchaser.

The dealer does not have anything to do with "manufacturer certification". IRC 30D and IRS Notice 2009-89 have nothing to do with an MCO/MSO. Supposedly the IRS has arbitrarily accepted that with other taxpayers or a Bill of Sales in lieu of "manufacturer certification".

• Form 8936 Instructions Certification and Other Requirements page 3:
“Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.”

This is where the IRS gets the idea that you can send them the "manufacturer’s certification". The dealer is neither a manufacturer or distributer. the "IRS letter acknowledging the certification" is a specific letter the IRS sends General Motors upon completion of the "manufacturer’s certification".

General Motors has never given the Acknowledgement of Certification letter to any purchaser. Form 8936 isn't considered guidance to the manufacturer. only IRC 30D and IRS Notice 2009-89 is and they don't mention that they need to provide a copy to the purchaser. So, a purchaser has no leverage to have them give them a copy. GM defers you to the Qualified Vehicle list which the IRS circles back and

This is why I the IRS audit process is so screwed up. And General Motors unwillingness to provide the Acknowledgement of Certification letter is why they are partly to blame.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The dealer does not have anything to do with "manufacturer certification". IRC 30D and IRS Notice 2009-89 have nothing to do with an MCO/MSO.
The dealer sends the copy of the MCO/MSO to the state when they register your car. That document would be on record with the DMV. You might be able to get a copy from them.

IRS should be able to look this up, but well..... it's the IRS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm calling the DMV on Monday. There is not a standard form to request that. Plus I know for a fact the DMV considers it void after they issue a title; they may retain an electronic copy but would be unlikely to issue it. My understand is the MCO has some information the TITLE doesn't have. I already requested a title history and registration history.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Plus I know for a fact the DMV considers it void after they issue a title
Yes it becomes void after the car is titled.

The IRS should not be asking for a document that has nothing to do with you and has been voided by titling the car IMO. I think your "auditor" is in error. It would make more sense for you to provide a copy of the title. A VIN search would show you are the first owner.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts