GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here! I'm the proud 2nd owner of a 2012 Veridian Joule Volt that's had all its general maintenance done but will need a new set of shocks/struts soon as it has 70,000 miles and is just starting to get a little 'bouncy'. The body has a few dings here and there but the battery and engine/motor are in fantastic shape. I just changed the Dexron VI tranny fluid as a pre-emptive measure and the original fill was still a very clean red.

I've done struts and shocks on a number of other vehicles; however as I like to be prepared I'm asking the gurus on this forum if there are any tricks/tips/gotcha's I should be aware of. I've already searched for "strut(s)" and "shocks" but very little turned up so I thought I'd ask again.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I haven't read any threads on the topic. I am not sure that this is common due to how new the Volt is.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
My 2011 shows no sign of needing shocks. 78,000 on some of the worse roads in America. Michigan.
I'd contend IL roads are worse than MI solely because the state is broker than broke and we have so many Chicagoland drivers sprawling into the countryside gobbling up farm land to build housing subdivisions and strip malls faster than the road infrastructure can keep up.

With the American recovery act, they resurfaced many of the highways in down state IL but the bridges are still riddled with potholes. It's as if they completely forgot that those needed to be done also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I'd still like to replace my dampers and I don't mind doing the work as I have all the necessary tools/shop. However, rather than figuring it out as I go, I'm one of those folks that like to reference a service manual or get 'beta' about repair procedures before I jump in. Sort of a "measure twice, cut once" thing :)

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
With the American recovery act, they resurfaced many of the highways in down state IL but the bridges are still riddled with potholes. It's as if they completely forgot that those needed to be done also.
Bridges also get a lot more frost-heave events, so just putting another layer of blacktop on them wouldn't help for more than a few months anyway. (WI does bridges in concrete for that reason: Blacktop road, concrete bridge deck. Still gets pitted after a while, but it takes a lot longer. Consequently, they only get redone about half as often, but short of people willing to let themselves pay for work to be done before critical hazards come up....)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone, first post here! I'm the proud 2nd owner of a 2012 Veridian Joule Volt that's had all its general maintenance done but will need a new set of shocks/struts soon as it has 70,000 miles and is just starting to get a little 'bouncy'. The body has a few dings here and there but the battery and engine/motor are in fantastic shape. I just changed the Dexron VI tranny fluid as a pre-emptive measure and the original fill was still a very clean red.

I've done struts and shocks on a number of other vehicles; however as I like to be prepared I'm asking the gurus on this forum if there are any tricks/tips/gotcha's I should be aware of. I've already searched for "strut(s)" and "shocks" but very little turned up so I thought I'd ask again.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
I ordered Monroe Struts from CarID.com and they weren't the right part. I don't know if it was a 'variation' or a catalog problem
but we had to order again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts