GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Volt since May and enjoy not buying gas for it. 7000 miles and only 30 gallons of gas purchased.
I like the style and lines of the car a lot. It looks good!

I do have one major complaint that ruins my driving enjoyment. The seats are uncomfortable. The part of my right leg that rests on the edge of the drivers seat cramps up if I drive the car more than 20 miles. The same is true when sitting in the front passenger seat. It seems to me that the seats are too hard and the side of the seats are shaped so that they press against your leg when driving. Moving the seat up, down or back does not alleviate the discomfort and pain. I've talked with one other local Volt owner in NJ and he has the same complaint. Are there other Volt owners out there that have this problem? I have never had an issue with car seat comfort in any of the other 10 cars I've owned over my lifetime. It's really annoying to pay $40,000+ for a car and feel uncomfortable and pain when driving it. If you have the same complaint email me at [email protected].
Hopefully we can get GM to correct the problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've had just the opposite experience. I have trouble in my wife's Subaru but driving the Volt from NY to IL was a pleasure on my legs and by lower back. Even stopping for gas was was different because I did not get out with a stiff back.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Like Scott I've the opposite experience in that I've found the Volt seats exceptionally comfortable. My wife has the same opinion. We're coming from luxury sedans so it's not like we're used to a Corolla or other economy car. We have the leather seats. If you don't maybe there's a difference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm 5' 8" at a pretty normal weight, have a crappy back and questionable knees, but find the Volt's front seats comfortable. Longest drive was 101 miles.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've done 800+ mile trips and found the Volt to be the most comfortable car I've ever owned.
(Better than honda, subrau ). The seats are well contoured and supportive. (I'm 200lb, with a bad back)

Have you driven any other volts? Maybe there is a problem with your seat?

·
Registered
51 Posts
npitim-
i guess the perception of comfort, or lack therof, provided by a given car seat is in, um... the behind of the beholder. I'm with scott and the other guys - I find the Volt's seat to be VERY comfortable, far more comfortable and supportive than the seat in my previous car, an Audi A3. FWIW, I'm on the slightly smaller side of average, i think - @ 5'9", and @ 170ish lbs. I don't think you can assume that this is a "problem" that GM needs to fix for everybody...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have the cloth seats and not the leather. Do all of you have the leather seats?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the leather seats and found them to be very comfortable on my longest drive of 250 miles. My wife was with me and she was also very pleased with the seats. I'm not a small guy at 6' and 200 lbs.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my seats, they are obviously much better than the LayZBoy sofaseats of GM's days gone by. Even better than some of the recent GM stuff.

However, a lumbar adjustment would be nice. I hate when people crank those things up to 11, but i'd like just a bit more support in my back. Even my 3500HD Crew Cab has a screw type adjustment for lumber. However, I don't think weight is a concern in the 3500HD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had a Volt for a few weeks now. I loved the seat the first week. They are leather. I'm a pretty skinny guy and they hug me nicely so I don't slid around in corners like some other cars I've been in. Though, after allowing a few friends some test drives, I'm having hard time getting it back to the right position. I've been playing with it for the last week trying to get it right. So, slight back muscle pain for a few days. Though, that maybe because driving my Jeep for 10 years with my legs/pelvis slightly turned to the left due to the small intrusion of the transfercase into the drivers side compartment by the right leg. Maybe be my muscles are just getting use to sitting straight again. Then again, maybe I'll have to stop letting people test drive my car :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I second the wish for lumbar support. The longest drive was from NYC back to Detroit. The leather seats are comfortable for me (5'7" @160lbs), however, in this case my Pilot seats where actually a tiny bit better simply due to better lumbar support.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The seats are uncomfortable. The part of my right leg that rests on the edge of the drivers seat cramps up if I drive the car more than 20 miles.
I had a similar problem with my 2009 Aura and now again with my 2012 Volt. Both have similar seat contours. My doc diagnosed a sciatic nerve problem and my physical therapist recommended the contoured seat at the below url.
It works for me and the total cost including shipping was about $150.
http://www.pro-medusa.com/1000.htm

KNS

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have the cloth seats and not the leather. Do all of you have the leather seats?
Mine are leather as I wanted the heated option. If they were decoupled I'd have gone cloth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Initially, when first test driving the Volt, I thought the seats were fine. Now that I own the car, I also feel the need for added lumbar support. If you have a history of lower back problems you might also feel more lower back support is needed. Weird that GM wouldn't add that feature. If I take the car on any super long trips, like to Florida, I'll use an add-on lumbar support.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Give it more time.
I had the same problem going from Dodge P/U's to Chevy Silverado's. The 1st year was bad, next better and so on. Now when I drive my companies Dodge I get back ache's so it's what you get use to I'm thinking more often than not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just got back from an Arkansas trip. The trip there had to turn around and get something from home, which turned a 6 hour trip into a 12 hour trip. I did not realize it until we were almost there that I wasn't feeling any discomfort from the seats. And I wasn't feeling tired. Coming from a '99 Camery where trips over 3 hours started hurting, this was surprising.

I also have the heated leather seats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
After one year and 11 thousand miles, I think the leather heated seats in the Volt are nearly perfect. That is saying a lot, as I often get backaches from poorly designed, ie most, office chairs.

My experience is too much lumbar support is just as bad as too little. I have a turbo Volvo that has lumbar support adjustments at two different levels. No matter how I adjust the Volvo seat, it hurts my back. The seats in the Volt don't, so as far as I am concerned, they are extremely well designed and made. No fixing required.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the seats in the Volt are a little stiff for my back. I have 2 bad lower lumbar discs and have to use special pillows and lumbar supports on all the office chairs that I sit on. I have been a Volvo only driver for that past 10 years b/c they have absolutely the best seats. I use a seat cushion pillow and a lumbar support, so it looks a bit dorky, like a cab driver or something, but it makes up for the stiffness.

maybe someday I'll splurge and find a way to put a couple nice used Volvo seats in place of the Volt ones :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
One of the most often made compliments in my car are how comfortable the seats feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Verdict: The seats in the Volt can be tolerated because you're saving $. This is a huge placebo on owners.

I've only driven the Volt with tan/black leather heated seats 200+ miles on windy mountain roads and interstates. My current car is a BMW 335i. So, maybe my opinion isn't the greatest. However, the Volt seats feel like plywood. Even worse, I tried the cloth seats on the initial test drive and wish to never have the non-pleasure of that again.

Cars are supposed to be enjoyable and invigorating. Chevy's cloth interior has me feeling like a victim in a snuff film. Leather seats should be the only option.

My gripes:

1. No lumbar adjustment knob. This is pretty standard on most $20k+ cars today. This is Chevy being cheap and saving weight with very, very simple seats. Again, please make the car enjoyable through and through.

2. This isn't a $20k+ car. This is a $40k+ car. These seats should be comparable to a BMW's. I feel like I'm sitting on plywood the entire time. I'm only saying to my friends "the Volt's comfortable enough" because I know I'm gonna have to live with sitting on plywood (if I get a decent lease price for one; working on that now).

3. My girlfriend's 6ft 3in dad's inability to find anywhere comfortable to sit in this car. He's going to have to lay across the roof I believe. Again, the $40k price tag demands interior room. Stretching the car another 6 inches wouldn't have hurt weight that much would it? 6 inches of extra batteries would add a bit of range, too. No?

Again, the Volt is "comfortable enough" for every day driving and will save me $200~/month. So, I'll just ignore the plywood seats and keep staring at the spinning green ball knowing that my discomfort is putting $ back in my wallet.

Brent

1 - 20 of 34 Posts